Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

NRT<>LAX: EVA vs. ANA vs. Asiana vs. UA ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NRT<>LAX: EVA vs. ANA vs. Asiana vs. UA ?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2014, 12:41 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm sorry that is not the rule. The pax must be departing from that airport in international business class. The rule is:

Customer must be departing from the local airport in International Business Class

Star Alliance Lounge Access Policy

At virtually all airports, lounge admission is automated based on boarding pass scan. Unless you meet the published criteria, you will in virtually all instances be denied admission.
Oh okay, well I never had that issue yet since i never had a 2 stopovers in the same continuous itinerary.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 10:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Oh okay, well I never had that issue yet since i never had a 2 stopovers in the same continuous itinerary.
Also, as joejones explained, some carriers (including UA and NH) may have more generous rules for their own lounges if you are traveling exclusively on their metal. But in those instances, access is not based on *A rules and does not extend to other *A lounges.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:37 pm

In addition to KIX, I would have also checked:
  1. ITM-NRT on NH connecting to NRT-LAX on NH or UA.
  2. ITM-HND-LAX on NH
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, and no status whatsoever on the airlines (!)
Mr. Roboto, I do think I checked those itins, too, but they didn't work out due to award availability and scheduling.

And bummer... shame to hear my parents, indeed, likely won't get lounge access. Well, I guess I've taken care to make the rest of their flight experience nice so I'll just have to live with a minor setback with this. From what I hear, the lounges at KIX aren't all that amazing anyway .

I guess I'll suggest to my parents that they at least politely request entrance to the ANA lounge, but if refused, not to argue.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 12:50 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
Your grandparents will get lounge access, please re-read the last few posts, there's two concurrent discussions.
1. Star Alliance Benefits (not applicable here) and
2. Individual airline benefits.

Your grandparents will be granted access based on the latter NH benefit (not a Star Alliance benefit) because they are connecting to an international flight on NH metal in F/C.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 12:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, and no status whatsoever on the airlines (!)
Ah. Okay, sorry, I did indeed get confused based on the two separate discussions. Thanks for clarifying, railroadtycoon!
Old Sep 26, 2014, 7:24 am

Programs: MMH MVP Charter Member, UA 1K MM
I'd like to ask nearly the same question as the OP, but with a small wrinkle.

Currently I am booked LAX-TPE-DPS on BR in business. It looks like I may also abbr the option to change to LAX-ICN-DPS on Asiana in F on the 380, followed by C on 330.

Both routings are fairly direct, but the Asiana a330 flight is 2 hours longer. Also arrives at a less convenient time (1am vs 3pm)

I know F > C, but how does the medium haul a330 service compare. Looks like hard product is more or less the same.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 6:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sammybk
I'd like to ask nearly the same question as the OP, but with a small wrinkle.

Currently I am booked LAX-TPE-DPS on BR in business. It looks like I may also abbr the option to change to LAX-ICN-DPS on Asiana in F on the 380, followed by C on 330.

Both routings are fairly direct, but the Asiana a330 flight is 2 hours longer. Also arrives at a less convenient time (1am vs 3pm)

I know F > C, but how does the medium haul a330 service compare. Looks like hard product is more or less the same.
I would think long and hard about that one. The BR routing is the best one there is to DPS. That OZ 330 is pretty uncomfortable (although the service is quite good) and the 1 am arrival sucks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.