Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

NRT<>LAX: EVA vs. ANA vs. Asiana vs. UA ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NRT<>LAX: EVA vs. ANA vs. Asiana vs. UA ?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2014, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by ThatAdamGuy
[*]Oooo... planetshakers, there's Din Tai Fung food on the EVA flights? Man, I may have to fly those silly Hello Kitty planes myself sometime! [*]I wish a stopover was possible on one-way UA redemptions! 'cause then I'd have my parents stop over in Taipei, a city I really enjoyed visiting![/list]
Definitely not all BR flights have Din Tai Fung food, I have done a few BR long haul to Europe and US, never seen it on my flights, same as the pre-order lobster meal, never seen it as well.

Are you using SQ miles for the suites on SQ 11 ? Why not do a roundtrip instead ? Then your parents could fly BR on the return and have the stopover in TPE.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 9:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Din Tai Fung's food on the plane wasn't good anyways.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 12:39 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Din Tai Fung's food on the plane wasn't good anyways.
I checked DTF out when I was in HK and while I enjoyed it I couldn't figure out why 1 Michelin Star.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 12:47 am

Programs: BW Diamond, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, M&C Gold
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
If they fly from KIX via ICN on OZ in the A380 they may enjoy the onboard bar for J/F pax.
When I flew NRT-ICN on the familiarization flight in June, the lounge area was open but no bar. Not sure if it was due to not enough time on the short-haul, or it being just a familiarization flight.

Anyway, still got to enjoy the bigger than usual lavatory.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 12:49 am

Programs: BW Diamond, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, M&C Gold
Originally Posted by ThatAdamGuy
Hey everyone, thank you very much for the thoughtful and kind responses, and apologies that I haven't replied until now! And aBroadAbroad, thanks for amplifying the reach of my post . And Ocn Vw 1K... ah, you're right; since I'm using UA miles for this, I hadn't even made the connection in my head that all these are *A... nor did I even know we had a *A forum here!

A few notes in response to everyone's helpful feedback:
  • My parents have pretty much just flown in economy, and mostly UA at that. So -- as crazy (and, I admit, un-environmental) as it sounds -- I believe they'd actually enjoy more time flying in the sky when it includes tasty food and friendly service.
  • Yes, none of the proposed flights can compare to SQ Suites... but the flights to/from NRT are my treat, and so given this + the improvement over flying Y, I think my parents will be very happy .
  • With this said -- it may be that, at the end of a packed vacation -- my parents just want to get back home sooner. So I think I'll ask them their preference on this!
  • Oooo... planetshakers, there's Din Tai Fung food on the EVA flights? Man, I may have to fly those silly Hello Kitty planes myself sometime!
  • I wish a stopover was possible on one-way UA redemptions! 'cause then I'd have my parents stop over in Taipei, a city I really enjoyed visiting!

Of course, a bit of a wrinkle is that I've learned my parents (who want to book a small-group tour for their Japan visit)... may actually be flying out of KIX, which changes the options somewhat (for one, no direct flights to LAX). Still, I think there's mostly the same choice of *A partner airlines KIX-LAX.

Thanks again for all the rankings and feedback! I welcome any additional thoughts, and I'll also make sure to post back here with what I decide and again with how the trip goes with my parents. As you can imagine, both they (and I!) are super-excited to have them experiencing Japan and premium travel for the first time in their lives :-).
They are supposed to have DTF only on ex-TPE flights in J. I flew TPE-NRT in J on a mid-day flight and got the DTF. While not as good as DTF in Taipei itself, it beat all the other choices on the menu.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I checked DTF out when I was in HK and while I enjoyed it I couldn't figure out why 1 Michelin Star.
Either they were the bottom left overs of the noodles that I received, or the FA just had it soaked in water so long they forgot to give it to me.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, and no status whatsoever on the airlines (!)
Well, alas, I'm a bit disappointed and I'm betting some of you will be, too :\.

The good news first: I was indeed able to book LAX-NRT in Singapore Airlines Suites for my parents (middle pair via a Chase points transfer, and I know they're gonna love their experience (the nice new lounge at LAX plus, of course, the SQ experience). Not to mention Japan itself, certainly!

But alas, the only Asiana flights I saw departing from Osaka leave at 9:30am... and my parents are heading to Osaka from Kyoto on the scheduled day of their departure. So the only viable options departure-timewise were United (economy), EVA (routed through Taipei, ouch!), and ANA (old C product). My parents understandably preferred me getting them the ANA flight set.

Two big bummers associated with this:
1) Dang, 20" seat width in international business?!
2) No lounge access for my parents.

I wrongly assumed (d'oh!) that -- since I booked an ANA KIX-HND-LAX biz ticket for them via my points -- they'd get access to the ANA lounge at KIX, but it looks like they just get access to the lounge at HND. And, alas, they'll be at KIX at least 4 hours before their flight due to their group's schedule.

Anyone have suggestions on how I might be able to obtain lounge access for my parents at KIX... or other suggestions on how they might be comfortable / entertained for a bunch of hours?

I guess I'm being a bit of a perfectionist here, but I'm eager to make their transit as enjoyable and comfortable as possible .

Thanks in advance for any (additional) advice, and thanks again for your input so far!
Old Aug 9, 2014, 1:08 am

KIX to HND in Economy or in Business?

If they go KIX-HND-LAX non-stop, they should be able to get HND-LAX's plane ticket.
You can attempt to enter the lounge using that ticket and hope the lounge agent doesn't care.

But IF KIX-HND is on Business, than you get lounge access. If they complaint just then show the international leg and you should be OK.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, and no status whatsoever on the airlines (!)
Tennisnoob, I booked KIX-HND-LAX as 'C' (as a one-way UA award)... but the KIX-HND leg is on a single-cabin plane, so it's all economy for that specific leg.

But surprisingly, I've learned that that's apparently not even relevant re lounge access; even if they were flying business all the way, it looks like they still wouldn't be eligible to use the ANA lounge, according to this page.

What is ANA thinking here?!
Old Aug 11, 2014, 10:48 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
They should have access according to the Japanese site based on their international connection in business class:

https://www.ana.co.jp/int/checkin/lounge/connect/
Old Aug 11, 2014, 11:12 am
Original Poster

railroadtycoon, interesting! That page seems to make it extremely clear that, indeed, they're entitled to lounge access at KIX.

I wonder why the agent specifically told me in email that they are NOT eligible.

Well, I guess we'll just have to see how things work out. Maybe I'll encourage my parents to print out that page

Thanks for the info!
Old Aug 11, 2014, 11:29 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
The star alliance website won't help with information in this case, since it isn't a Star Alliance benefit, but an ANA benefit.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 12:01 am

Based on experience you can access ANY star alliance business class lounge as long as you have an business class ticket that flys out within the next 24 hours.

That's what many lounge dragons have informed me.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 12:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Based on experience you can access ANY star alliance business class lounge as long as you have an business class ticket that flys out within the next 24 hours.

I'm sorry that is not the rule. The pax must be departing from that airport in international business class. The rule is:

Customer must be departing from the local airport in International Business Class

Star Alliance Lounge Access Policy

At virtually all airports, lounge admission is automated based on boarding pass scan. Unless you meet the published criteria, you will in virtually all instances be denied admission.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 12:29 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me

Some lounge dragons might let you do this but it's not the official Star Alliance rule.

http://www.staralliance.com/en/benef...access-policy/

Basically, if you are flying in international business class without Star Alliance Gold status, you get lounge access ONLY at the airport where you are departing in international business class. (I was once turned away from the UA club at DEN when I had a connection to a business class flight from LAX, as my *G had lapsed.)

If you have Star Alliance Gold status, you get lounge access before each flight, BUT if you have your status through UA, you can only use United Clubs within the US if you have a same-day international flight.

Some carriers are more generous; for instance NH will let you use a lounge before a domestic flight if you are connecting to an NH flight in international F or C (as mentioned earlier), and they also provide lounge access for domestic business class pax.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.