Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance to Decide on Air India Today (Joining 11 July 2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance to Decide on Air India Today (Joining 11 July 2014)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2014, 8:35 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by sbm12
Join date is officially 11 July 2014 as announced by the Star Alliance twitter account: https://twitter.com/staralliance/sta...7768895426560/.

^
Here's the official announcement on *A website:

http://www.starallianceemployees.com...ce23c7ae1b5c23
Old Jun 24, 2014, 9:03 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold
Dang. I would've preferred Jet. I hate flying AI, even short-haul.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
Here's the official announcement on *A website:

http://www.starallianceemployees.com...ce23c7ae1b5c23
^
Old Jun 24, 2014, 11:05 am

If I had a choice I would pick Air India over United in Y anytime.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: BA, CX, LH, WN
Originally Posted by Bretteee
If I had a choice I would pick Air India over United in Y anytime.
^

AI is always either a hit or miss. But one of their best services is on BOM/DEL to US routes.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
Hmm...I've got my first-ever AI flight booked (just a DEL-CCU roundtrip) for August. Had no idea this was happening when I made the reservation last week, but at least I'll now be able to credit the miles back to my UA account.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 11:56 am

why are many posters upset about AI joining *A. No one is forcing them to fly AI or *A.in the end, these alliances are all about business.so may be other carriers liked what AI brought to the table.also, there are many members in *A who bring in little value to the alliance when compared to AI.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by mrahul
why are many posters upset about AI joining *A. No one is forcing them to fly AI or *A.in the end, these alliances are all about business.so may be other carriers liked what AI brought to the table.also, there are many members in *A who bring in little value to the alliance when compared to AI.
I would assume it's quite a few reasons:

-Some people, who have *A-only contracts, might be forced to fly AI for business instead of decent airlines in the future (as AI will price cheaper than LH etc.)
-Some might be worried that in case of an irrop, an AI-connection will be offered - which they can either take, or if they deny it, wait longer (without compensation/vouchers/hotels, as they had an offer to fly..)
-Some might be worried that the masses of AI Elites will flood the (already full) *A lounges even more. When you're flying off from an already overcrowded ZRH, for example, I can understand this fear.
-I guess also some dislike AI for only be able to run their business because of heavy state influx money, while LH (as the "head of *A") constantly complains about it: Not easier to take their complaints serious at all against EK&Co when they've supported an airline which actually REALLY gets money from the state like no end into your alliance..
Old Jun 24, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
So how long before GOI gives LH more access to Indian airports/slots for delivering on getting AI into *A? Any bets on how soon LH will announce new services to India? Maybe reinstate HYD, add a few second tiers...the options abound
Old Jun 24, 2014, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by techblr
^

AI is always either a hit or miss. But one of their best services is on BOM/DEL to US routes.
Well, if they're a hit more often than they miss, then no-one can really complain!
Old Jun 24, 2014, 1:01 pm

Programs: BA, CX, LH, WN
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Well, if they're a hit more often than they miss, then no-one can really complain!
The problem is they are a hit (rare) and miss (most common)

When I last flew AI, the ground staff and even a supervisor gave me wrong instructions as to how to connect to SQ flight in SIN. I flew from BLR-BOM-SIN and they gave BPs only until SIN. Nobody knew anything - I somewhat felt I had more information about airports and check-in procedures as compared to them.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by scnzzz
So how long before GOI gives LH more access to Indian airports/slots for delivering on getting AI into *A? Any bets on how soon LH will announce new services to India? Maybe reinstate HYD, add a few second tiers...the options abound
If letting AI into *A helps get other, better *A carriers more access to India then I'm thrilled. I'm afraid AI and GOI will now want AI to own the new routes or rev-share to where it won't make sense for LH or ?? to expand into places like HYD (my preferred landing spot).
Old Jun 24, 2014, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
This will help people like me get to airports not served by Star currently. Hope award availability will be good.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 3:08 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
?

Sounds like you're peddling some sort of sub-continental urban myth.
This is not a urban legend. I do know people from AI. After retiring they still get free tickets. When at AI you, your husband and children all get free tickets. Plus there is a 25% cost (I don't know the exact amount) for married brothers and sisters to get a ticket.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by vernonc
This is not a urban legend. I do know people from AI. After retiring they still get free tickets. When at AI you, your husband and children all get free tickets. Plus there is a 25% cost (I don't know the exact amount) for married brothers and sisters to get a ticket.
All I can say is "wow" -- and this stuff happened in January and April of this year. Looks like the "employee and entire extended family for free" scheme was replaced with a still very generous deal (see the 3rd article). Unclear to me if retirees before the change get to play on the old rules... I have a hard time believing some of this (third article also hints at not being certain).

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...ow/5082010.cms

vs

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...cle5593491.ece

but see

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/c.../1/364155.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.