Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Entry into Air NZ club with UA *G?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2014, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA & DL Gold

Hey,

Weird situation coming up here in a few weeks --- I will be traveling on Delta (no status) through SYD in economy. Typically I fly UA, so I have *G privileges from them, but I have nothing on DL. If I were flying on UA, I would be able to access the Air NZ club at SYD -- one of my favorites -- because that's a *G benefit that UA allows. But will Air NZ let me through even though, on this upcoming trip, I will not be flying any star alliance carrier?

Note that Air NZ is the "partner" lounge for DL and UA at SYD. I will have my UA gold card, if that matters.

Thoughts?

-- Dan
Old Apr 14, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

You are not entitled any access to any Star lounge unless you are flying a Star carrier.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 11:59 am
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by debracey
But will Air NZ let me through even though, on this upcoming trip, I will not be flying any star alliance carrier?
*G lounge access requires a BP for *A [departing] flight.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 12:46 pm

I think the question is, because Air NZ lounge is partnered with both UA and DL, if a BP for DL would satisfy the BP requirement, but use the *G to enter. I see how this is a good question, but I do think the previous posters are correct. If you're using *A status to enter, regardless of who the lounge is partnering with you need to be flying with whichever status you are using.

The only exception to this is if you have an actual lounge membership.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djtsukasa
I think the question is, because Air NZ lounge is partnered with both UA and DL, if a BP for DL would satisfy the BP requirement, but use the *G to enter. I see how this is a good question, but I do think the previous posters are correct. If you're using *A status to enter, regardless of who the lounge is partnering with you need to be flying with whichever status you are using.

Yes, that is the real question. Obviously if DL partnered with someone else entirely, then all bets are off.

The only way to know for sure is if someone else tried in the past. But seeing how that's probably unlikely, I may have to be the guinea pig. Worst they can do is kick me out.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 1:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The *G requirement explicitly states a BP for a *A-operated flight departing the local airport that day.

Customer must also present a boarding pass for travel on a Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport
The OP will not have that and should not expect to have access to the lounge based on the credentials they've described.

Originally Posted by djtsukasa
Not even that would be sufficient unless it is a Koru Club membership. The UA and AC paid options also require a same-day *A-operated BP from the local airport unless at their own lounges.

http://www.staralliance.com/en/benef...access-policy/

The rules are exceptionally clear on this topic. Choosing to misinterpret them in hopes that they work in your favor is fine, I suppose, but not likely to actually help the case you're trying to make other than in your own mind.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

The fact that it is a partner lounge for Delta is irrelevant for a Delta Coach traveler seeking to use his United status.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 1:29 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
To access the NZ lounge OP needs to be either

a) flying *A and use UA *G status
b) flying business class on *A (or DL)
c) flying DL and use skyteam elite plus status
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by debracey
Worst they can do is kick me out.
You're probably safe in that you won't get kicked out because that would suggest you got in in the first place. You won't. I personally wouldn't waste my time trying.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt
You're probably safe in that you won't get kicked out because that would suggest you got in in the first place. You won't. I personally wouldn't waste my time trying.
Well I did apply for a status match from DL, hopefully it will be approved by then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.