*A void in Brazil ....

Old Apr 5, 2014, 4:01 am
MMM
Original Poster

Programs: TK E+ *A GOLD, TAM OW Sapphire
*A void in Brazil ....

TAM left *A last monday, which created a *A void for most of the domestic travel in Brazil (and thus most of South America).

On the same day UA announced its new Brazilian partner AZUL :

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mar...spx?ItemId=635

Does that mean AZUL is getting closer to *A and maybe the right choice over AVIANCA-Brazil (announced to join soon) ?

From my point of view , both are good here in Brazil (even better service than TAM), but AZUL connections, destinations and equipment are much better than AVIANCA-Brasil .
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:50 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
*A void in Brazil ....

No, this does not mean Azul will join Star. It is extremely unlikely to do so.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Not being overly familiar with domestic aviation in Brazil, would you mind explaining why do you dont think it could happen?
Old Apr 5, 2014, 10:50 am

1) Since Avianca Brazil is officially joining, Star is not going to add a second Brazilian carrier as a full member
2) Simply having a limited relationship with United does not have much of an indication as to whether it will join Star Alliance. Delta and Malaysia had a relationship for years, etc.
3) Azul, a low-cost carrier, has no interest in joining Star Alliance as a full member.

There was a story about the potential for Azul to be some sort of affiliate of Star back in October, with discussion as to why it is unlikely to occur: http://centreforaviation.com/analysi...-indigo-135468

Since this article was before Avianca Brazil's join date was announced, it is less likely now, and might be why United decided to pursue an independent relationship.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 12:09 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, LH Senator, UA Premier Executive, RG Diamante
When AVIANCA Brazil is officially joining *A ?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 1:52 pm

*A void in Brazil ....

I do not believe a date has been set yet
Old Apr 12, 2014, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by rserson
When AVIANCA Brazil is officially joining *A ?
I do not believe a date has been set yet
I thought I had read that it was targeted for summertime (northern hemisphere) this year.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 8:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Any update on a join date for AVIANCA Brazil?
Old Jun 14, 2014, 3:41 am
MMM
Original Poster

Programs: TK E+ *A GOLD, TAM OW Sapphire
Here is an update....

Here is an update from Star Alliance CEO. He basically says that Avianca-Brasil should become a member by the end of June; AND that they are negotiating with a second carrier in Brazil (people are speculating it must be AZUL)

The full interview: http://americaeconomiabrasil.com.br/...o-das-estrelas
Old Jun 23, 2014, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by MMM
Here is an update from Star Alliance CEO. He basically says that Avianca-Brasil should become a member by the end of June; AND that they are negotiating with a second carrier in Brazil (people are speculating it must be AZUL)

The full interview: http://americaeconomiabrasil.com.br/...o-das-estrelas
I think the more interesting Q is whether AD will be acquired or at some point become the acquireror in a merger between it and O6. Then, they could compete with TAM and GOL. Of course, I think the best Q is which Brasilian airline will begin to look at biz flyers and tailor a cabin appropriate to that segment...
Old Jun 25, 2014, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA-GS - MM, Hilton-Diamond,SPG-Gold,National-Ex. Elite, Hyatt -Plat.
Azul would be a good addition, relatively new fleet and comfortable econ. Started by Jet Blue founder...that would be interesting
Old Jul 14, 2014, 2:12 pm

This is an interesting article RE Azul and Avianca Brasil. Go to the section titled "Star Alliance Brazil controversy continues as Avianca Brazil seeks exclusivity"
Old Oct 14, 2014, 11:11 am

And yet another interesting article RE Azul and Avianca Brasil. According to the article, O6 is no longer insisting on *A exclusivity in Brasil, which was a foregone conclusion. The bigger issue is that *A is insisting that O6 "relinquishes its rights to vote on any issue concerning the Brazilian market." As I cannot imagine any airline agreeing to such a condition, it appears *A's hole in Brasil will continue for the foreseeable future.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 9:03 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by dcpdxtrans
And yet another interesting article RE Azul and Avianca Brasil. According to the article, O6 is no longer insisting on *A exclusivity in Brasil, which was a foregone conclusion. The bigger issue is that *A is insisting that O6 "relinquishes its rights to vote on any issue concerning the Brazilian market." As I cannot imagine any airline agreeing to such a condition, it appears *A's hole in Brasil will continue for the foreseeable future.
O6 will join under the AV membership so of course they won't have voting rights but AV can vote on their behalf.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by dcpdxtrans
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
O6 will join under the AV membership so of course they won't have voting rights but AV can vote on their behalf.
Well, the latter quote is now stale and incorrect. AV has announced that O6 will not get folded into AV. This means that *A will have a continued hole in Brasil for the forseeable future.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.