*A void in Brazil ....

Old Mar 30, 2015, 5:31 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by dcpdxtrans
Well, the latter quote is now stale and incorrect. AV has announced that O6 will not get folded into AV. This means that *A will have a continued hole in Brasil for the forseeable future.
Where did you hear that? O6 has joined Lifemiles and last time I checked they were on track to join the alliance mid year.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by Xiaotung
O6 will join under the AV membership so of course they won't have voting rights but AV can vote on their behalf.
Well, the latter quote is now stale and incorrect. AV has announced that O6 will not get folded into AV. This means that *A will have a continued hole in Brasil for the forseeable future.
Where did you hear that? O6 has joined Lifemiles and last time I checked they were on track to join the alliance mid year.
Indeed, O6 has partnered with AV's Lifemiles. However, CFO for O6, Gerado Grajales, made such a representation on an earnings call that the airlines will remain separate and separately managed even though the majority owner of O6 and Avianca Holdings (which is the parent co. of AV) is one and the same.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 8:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Indeed, O6 has partnered with AV's Lifemiles. However, CFO for O6, Gerado Grajales, made such a representation on an earnings call that the airlines will remain separate and separately managed even though the majority owner of O6 and Avianca Holdings (which is the parent co. of AV) is one and the same.
I don't see where separate management and operations has anything to do with precluding them from joining *A as planned. There are other examples of that in *A already. LH ---> LX is a prime example, they even have different terms of mileage credit to *A partners.

However if Mr. Grajales is so adamant on O6 remaining entirely independent then *A should just say screw him and O6. AD (Azul) looks to have much better coverage of Brazil and already partners with UA. DL partners with G3, and pretty much every one else partners or codeshares through JJ, so that leaves O6 really out on their own in the domestic market with no international feed if *A brings in AD instead.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by dvs7310
I don't see where separate management and operations has anything to do with precluding them from joining *A as planned. There are other examples of that in *A already. LH ---> LX is a prime example, they even have different terms of mileage credit to *A partners.

However if Mr. Grajales is so adamant on O6 remaining entirely independent then *A should just say screw him and O6. AD (Azul) looks to have much better coverage of Brazil and already partners with UA. DL partners with G3, and pretty much every one else partners or codeshares through JJ, so that leaves O6 really out on their own in the domestic market with no international feed if *A brings in AD instead.
There may have been previous public announcements of O6 joining *A, but any negotiations are at an impasse. O6 demanded exclusivity from *A, and it, understandably, said no way. Unless O6 softens its position, *A will have a void in Brasil for the foreseeable future.

As for AD, I respectfully disagree. UA and many others use GRU as an entry point to Brasil, specifically Sao Paulo, while AD uses VCP, another Sao Paulo airport. Now, I've never done that airport transfer but those who have, including my wife, say the transfer, for lack of a better word, sucks for many reasons, least of which is that the passenger has to take his or her baggage onto two, non-airline city buses.

As for O6, I've flown them and like them a lot (though their telephone customer service is lacking and it does not even have a way for US based callers to call that airline unless said callers have a Brasilian phone plan).

I have yet to fly AD though not for lack of trying. I've tried to both book a revenue flight through UA, which AD would not ticket, and I tried multiple times to use award travel, which even though .bomb shows availability, in fact, there is none.

Last edited by dcpdxtrans; Apr 9, 2015 at 11:08 am Reason: grammatical ambiguity
Old Apr 9, 2015, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K

As for AD, I respectfully disagree. UA and many others use GRU as an entry point to Brasil, specifically Sao Paulo, while AD uses VCP, another Sao Paulo airport. Now, I've never done that airport transfer but those who have, including my wife, say the transfer, for lack of a better word, sucks for many reasons, least of which is that the passenger has to take his or her baggage onto two, non-airline city buses.
Interesting, wasn't aware of VCP having most AD flights. It may be their main base, but they certainly have some operations from GRU as well. I was recently doing some searches on UA.com and I could get to anywhere I wanted in Brazil from GRU on AD but most places I was interested in involved a transit in CWB, CNF, BSB, or REC, so perhaps the bulk of the direct flights from Sao Paulo are out of VCP then which I did not search since we weren't planning to spend any time in the city.
Old May 14, 2015, 6:41 pm

http://www.panrotas.com.br/noticia-t...de_114196.html

Avianca Brasil will officially become part of *A on 22 July 2015.
Old May 15, 2015, 2:41 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
So with them not being folded in to AV, any word on how connections would work, IE: BOG-GRU-NAT or something of that nature?
Old May 15, 2015, 10:41 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador

Finally!
Old May 15, 2015, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by drvannostren
So with them not being folded in to AV, any word on how connections would work, IE: BOG-GRU-NAT or something of that nature?
My understanding is O6 will be folded into AV and use AV6xxx series flight numbers. We will see.
Old May 16, 2015, 9:59 am

In this case, I assume award seats on Avianca Brasil will be open starting on 22 July. If so, when can we start redeeming UA, LH (etc.) miles for O6 flights?
Old May 18, 2015, 5:27 pm

Is it me or does anyone else find it problematic that *A has not made any announcements? Also, I find it very interesting that an officer of the company makes a concrete statement in March only for the company to do a 180 two months later. I guess there is much flux occurring in Brasil.
Old May 19, 2015, 1:28 am

Is it me or does anyone else find it problematic that *A has not made any announcements? Also, I find it very interesting that an officer of the company makes a concrete statement in March only for the company to do a 180 two months later. I guess there is much flux occurring in Brasil.
Perhaps the announcement in March was meant to be that they would not combine with AV and instead would join *A as a standalone member?
Old Jul 7, 2015, 11:35 am

Perhaps the announcement in March was meant to be that they would not combine with AV and instead would join *A as a standalone member?
Any further update?
Old Jul 9, 2015, 2:05 am

Any further update?
It is my understanding that O6 will join as a standalone member with it's own Amigo program, although the longer term plan was to merge O6 into Avianca Holdings.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 11:54 pm

Any further update?
It is my understanding that O6 will join as a standalone member with it's own Amigo program, although the longer term plan was to merge O6 into Avianca Holdings.
Thank you. So that I understand. O6 is joining *A with their own FFP (at least for the short term)?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.