Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Using *Gold benefits when booked on * carrier but flights on mixed metal

Old Mar 24, 2014, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

I've searched but can't find the answer to what I assumed would be a simple question.

I am *Gold. I am booking with AirNZ, a *A airline. However, some of my flights are on airlines that are not *A e.g. Cathay Pacific, British Airways, Virgin Atlantic.

Will I still get *G privileges e.g. lounge access, extra baggage etc on all sectors?

Thanks
Old Mar 24, 2014, 1:29 pm

No. Air NZ make arrangements for their own gold and paid lounge members in /some/ locations and circumstances (for example CX at HK, Virgin Australia) and you may get the luggage extra allowance if NZ is checking you in for the first segment -
but generally you are out of luck. It's a real downside to Air NZ's current strategy of scattergun partner choices.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the prompt reply. That is a downside.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 3:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ukflyer1
Thanks for the prompt reply. That is a downside.
Why is it a downside?
The benefits are clear.
If you are BA Gold (i.e. oneworld Emerald) and you fly UA or LH or LX or DL you do not have any OW benefits.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
Why is it a downside?
Because it's disadvantageous?
Old Mar 25, 2014, 5:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Why is it a downside?
The benefits are clear.
If you are BA Gold (i.e. oneworld Emerald) and you fly UA or LH or LX or DL you do not have any OW benefits.
I absolutely see the OP's point as it being a downside, and I'd say a major downside. In your example, how many flights is UA, LH, LX, or DL going to put you on off-alliance metal long haul but on their code? Not many... that's an anomaly that happens much more in Asia than elsewhere with the exception of certain special alliances (which recognize each others' status, ie DL-VS, EK-QF, etc). It might make sense for the airline managers who negotiated the contracts but is a major disadvantage for people with alliance based status flying that carrier's ticket. Sure the OP could have avoided this by flying SQ or TG but perhaps there was a major price difference?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Why is it a downside?
Belated reply but thought I should clarify. I concur with the other comments. A major perk (for me) of an alliance is that benefits are shared across carriers. So if book an A* carrier I would expect to be able to use privileges. The fact I can't due to additional codeshare agreements is a downside to me - especially when there are at least 3 such codeshare agreements on my routing, leaving status not being very meaningful.

I appreciate that status is a privilege, and I can choose other carriers (if available on the routing I want).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.