Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

What happens to NZ? Very hard to get business class award seat nowadays!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2014, 9:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by GordonGordon
Thai starts to tighten up the award seats this year. How do I know? Last year I had no problem to get award seat for Christmas/New Year holiday period on some particular flights (not all), but this year I can't get the same award seats at all, it has a black out dates from 25 Dec 2014 to 6 Jan 2015.
TG has not blacked out those dates, there is plenty of availability on the two routes I just checked (BKK-HKG and BKK-LHR).

More likely, award space has already been taken by MP members burning miles prior to the Feb. 3 devaluation.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
Originally Posted by Kacee
TG has not blacked out those dates, there is plenty of availability on the two routes I just checked (BKK-HKG and BKK-LHR).
Yes, TG blacks out 25 Dec-6 Jan on some particular destinations (blackout both outbound and inbound flights COMPLETELY), NOT ALL destinations. I won't tell you which routes they are, you go figure out. I have been looking for the award seat since day 1, the first minute, when it was bookable from AC Aeroplan (355 days in advance), not even from UA Mileage Plus (330 days), and I have been checking it everyday. I don't even see 1 single seat in business or economy during the blackout period.

PS. I guess TG finally realized that route is very full and profitable during Christmas/New Year holidays and decided to put on blackout dates on that particular route inbound and outbound. It didn't happen last Christmas/New Year though.

Last edited by GordonGordon; Mar 27, 2014 at 10:48 pm Reason: adding comment
Old Mar 28, 2014, 12:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by GordonGordon
I won't tell you which routes they are, you go figure out.
Ah. Guess I don't know the secret handshake. Cute.

I'm sure they're doing it just to mess with you
Old Mar 28, 2014, 3:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
Originally Posted by Kacee
Ah. Guess I don't know the secret handshake. Cute.

I'm sure they're doing it just to mess with you
Lol... well, just in case TG decides to open up some award seats later this year, then I will still be able to grab couple of seats before other FTers try to get it shhhhhhh........
Old Mar 30, 2014, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Add SYD - AKL to that list as well. I'm in the midst of a vacation down in NZ / OZ that included BKK - SYD - AKL. Well I got SYD - AKL at T-330 (only available in Y at the time). In the 11 months that passed between then and when I flew the flight this past Tuesday (Mar 25) not a single J seat was released and I didn't see a single Y seat available on that flight either when I checked for the J seat (and in the past 60-90 days there wasn't a single Y seat period offered the entire week and many of the other weeks before and after).
Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:01 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Is there *A from continental US to Australia perhaps? Flying another three hours is not a big deal for me if I can spent the 15 in a lie flat seat
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by chx1975
Is there *A from continental US to Australia perhaps? Flying another three hours is not a big deal for me if I can spent the 15 in a lie flat seat
Not directly, AFAIK. The only way to get to Australia on *A is either SQ through SIN or NZ through AKL.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:12 pm

Air Canada YVR/YYZ-SYD, or UA SFO/LAX-SYD or UA LAX-MEL?
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:22 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by malmostoso
Not directly, AFAIK. The only way to get to Australia on *A is either SQ through SIN or NZ through AKL.
Incorrect. Not only does UA and AC fly directly from North America to Australia, but there are indirect options on SQ, TG, OZ, BR, UA (via GUM!) as well as NZ.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Incorrect. Not only does UA and AC fly directly from North America to Australia, but there are indirect options on SQ, TG, OZ, BR, UA (via GUM!) as well as NZ.
And to think I even flew BR to BNE recently...
Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond

Or go the really long way like I just did: JFK - ICN - NRT - BKK - SYD on OZ and TG and return (skipping the flight to AKL and the non-award open jaws flights) SYD - PEK - HND - IAD on CA and NH - you just have to get creative and hope for a good agent (this was also booked way before devaluation and tightening of rules)
Old Apr 21, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Well, my goal is YVR-WLG at the end of the day -- I was hoping for HNL-AKG but apparently that's not possible as Air New Zealand doesn't release seats. However, LAX-PEK-SYD seems to be available and Air China apparently has lie flat seats. Still, quite a trek!
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: marriott,spg gold,aa,alaska
The reason I am led to believe that NZ has very little award space is their policy for staff travel. Staff and their buddies pay for business class seats, AKL to YVR, for example is approx. $NZ1100.00, if they do not get into a J seat then they can try for premium economy,failing that economy. If they travel economy then they receive a refund of approx. $NZ600.00. It is not uncommon for 15 or more staff or buddies to travel on each departure to YVR. The other international routes have similar loads.

Do the math it is a financial gain for NZ to fill their J seats up with staff revenue passengers, and that is why very little is released for award redemption
Old Apr 21, 2014, 5:13 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by kiwimagic
The reason I am led to believe that NZ has very little award space is their policy for staff travel. Staff and their buddies pay for business class seats, AKL to YVR, for example is approx. $NZ1100.00, if they do not get into a J seat then they can try for premium economy,failing that economy. If they travel economy then they receive a refund of approx. $NZ600.00. It is not uncommon for 15 or more staff or buddies to travel on each departure to YVR. The other international routes have similar loads.
Add to that, they sell upgrades by auctioning them off online 7 days before the flight.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 9:50 pm

Programs: Airpoints, Aeroplan
So, I know this is a little OT, but what are some ideas on booking an award seat? I mean I've done the week before method (got a business class seat on NZ before they became stingy and economy on a December flight to Australia). I'm not sure (using ANA) if I want to just book 4 days in advance since well... my dates need to be slightly concrete...
Would prefer not United, unless everyone wants to hear me sing for 15 hours. In order to "properly" celebrate United's 777 flying from San Francisco to Sydney, I will sing "Let it Go" for the duration of the 15 hour flight. (Hey, I think they have Frozen?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.