Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

*G benefits on Hong Kong Airlines (operated by EVA Air)

Old Feb 28, 2014, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; Hilton Honors Diamond; SPG Platinum

Hi there,

Not sure if this is the right forum, but thought I'd ask anyway....

I'm booking a 1 way ticket from Taipei to HK - fare is sold by Hong Kong Airlines, but it's operated by EVA Air (via codeshare).

Do my *G benefits apply? (i.e. baggage, lounge, etc.)

Thanks!
Old Feb 28, 2014, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by expo
Hi there,

Not sure if this is the right forum, but thought I'd ask anyway....

I'm booking a 1 way ticket from Taipei to HK - fare is sold by Hong Kong Airlines, but it's operated by EVA Air (via codeshare).

Do my *G benefits apply? (i.e. baggage, lounge, etc.)

Thanks!
Yes you will - get your *A number in the record or give it to EVA at check in...
Old Mar 1, 2014, 3:25 am

Programs: AFKL Plat STE+ (LT), OZ Diam+ *G (LT), QF Gold OWS (LTG 83%)
For real ?
I thought your flight must be marketed and operated by a *A member.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 10:07 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by mogoy
For real ?
I thought your flight must be marketed and operated by a *A member.
Correct!

OP might be lucky as flight is operated by BR and check-in will be done by BR, but generally it is has to be *A marketing and operating.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 10:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by TPJ
Correct!
No, the operator is all that matters.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; Hilton Honors Diamond; SPG Platinum
thanks all. i guess we'll see!
Old Sep 13, 2014, 5:58 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Any feedback? I presume it's just the operating carrier, as I'm looking at a HK Airlines flight operated by Air India with their new dreamliner, which I really want to try.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 7:28 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
always only the metal that counts
Old Sep 13, 2014, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
With *A it's always the metal that counts.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 4:47 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
With *A it's always the metal that counts.
Although, I do believe that there are some exceptions when it comes to the revenue alliance between NZ/CX and NZ/VA even if the flight is NZ metal.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by LyingFlat
Although, I do believe that there are some exceptions when it comes to the revenue alliance between NZ/CX and NZ/VA even if the flight is NZ metal.
Correct things get tricky if it is with a "partner" of an airline when the partner isn't in *A.

But still I think that even if you bought a ticket through VA and flew on NZ and were *G you should still receive your *G benefits. However, if I as a *G from UA bought a ticket through NZ that was on a CX flight I wouldn't receive anything.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 9:57 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Awesome, thanks. Looking forward to 3* 787 service
Old Sep 15, 2014, 4:04 am

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Correct things get tricky if it is with a "partner" of an airline when the partner isn't in *A.

But still I think that even if you bought a ticket through VA and flew on NZ and were *G you should still receive your *G benefits. However, if I as a *G from UA bought a ticket through NZ that was on a CX flight I wouldn't receive anything.
It's quite clear on the NZ website about NZ Elite and Gold members. However, what is not clear is whether the below applies to *A Gold members too. I remember a few months ago a Gold member (not sure whether they were NZ or other *A) was causing a scene at the AKL lounge after being denied entry as they were in Y with CX flight number but operated by NZ... Would be interesting to see if anyone on here can chime in with their experiences.

If you travel on Cathay Pacific flight numbers (i.e. your ticket shows a Cathay Pacific flight number) between Auckland and Hong Kong you will earn Airpoints Dollars based on the earning rates in the Partner flights section of the Airpoints Dollars earning rates look up table and Cathay Pacific's eligible booking classes, and you will not receive any Status Points or Elite, Gold or Koru benefits. This applies to flight numbers CX107, CX108, CX197, CX198, CX7401, CX7402.

Airpoints Elite and Gold members who book an Air New Zealand code share flight operated by Cathay Pacific will continue to receive the same (or materially similar) loyalty benefits to those that they usually receive on Air New Zealand operated flights. These benefits include:

lounge access
priority check-in
priority boarding
priority airport standby
priority baggage
extra baggage allowance (1 additional checked piece up to 23 kg)
carry on allowance (2 carry on bags up to 7kg each)
priority seating
Old Sep 15, 2014, 9:08 am

Yes I didn't know the exact details in the NZ case but like for example Aer Lingus is a "partner" with United where they'll sell you tickets on UA.com operated by Aer Lingus and even reward tickets.
You can earn UAMP miles on the flights but I don't think you receive any benefits but I don't think someone with an OZ or TG account would be earn anything since it is a UA partner and not a *A partner.

The new muddy water seems to be Germanwings with some reports of *G being denied lounge, baggage allowances etc on what were originally LH routes/flights.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:20 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Germanwings (4U), which is a LH subsidiary, sadly isn't muddy at all - there are no *A benefits because it is not a *A member, just the same as Silkair (SQ's subsidiary) isn't.

Many people have concluded that LH quite deliberately transferred lots of routes over for the prime reason that it could avoid the costs of extra bags and lounge access. There aren't many other logical reasons other than that when it comes to flights between two capital cities in London and Berlin ...

In the OP's case it sounds like the flight has a 'real' *A number and is not a wet-lease operated by BR for Hong Kong, so benefits will be honoured.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.