Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Best Star Alliance Lounge in Frankfurt for long layover?

Old Jan 26, 2014, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan

Hi folks, travelling to Thailand this December (yeah, booking that reward flight early) and will be transiting through Frankfurt, before I fly on to BKK, in Thai Airways business class.

Simply put, which is the best *A lounge in FRA that specifically has a good place to rest for a few hours. While I enjoy walking around an airport, 7 hours is just too much. I'm agnostic to any airline, as long as they accept my Thai business class ticket, and understand that LH has about 1 million lounges there as well.

Any recommendations for those who've gone through FRA?

Thanks!
Old Jan 26, 2014, 11:54 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Are you Star Alliance Gold?
Old Jan 26, 2014, 11:55 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
IIRC you are limited to the LH business class lounges (unless you have *G status in which case the LH Senator lounges are also available).

I'd generally go for the lounge closest to departure gate, but since you have time you could sample them. Assuming you are arriving from USA then you have non-schengen to non-schengen transfer, which means if you leave the airport or visit certain parts of the terminal you'll have immigration twice (once to enter schengen zone and again to leave it). You are also likely to have at least 1 security check in transit.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 7:01 am

Programs: Air Canada, Hyatt
Best Star Alliance Lounge in Frankfurt for 7 hour layover?

try the Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge!
probably a hell of a lot better than LH's business lounges!
Old Jan 27, 2014, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by rafi2k6
try the Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge!
probably a hell of a lot better than LH's business lounges!
I think he needs to be *G to get in there, and as he hasn't specified any status, he'll be restricted to LH's business holes, errrrr lounges
Old Jan 27, 2014, 7:45 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
LH arrival lounge!
Old Jan 27, 2014, 8:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Houminer
LH arrival lounge!
Why would you make this suggestion without knowing whether the OP qualifies or not?
Unless the OP is arriving in FRA in First or Business on LH, UA, LX or is LH HON, SEN or FTL (and/or a few other variances), OP has no access to Welcome Lounge.
Check out admission criteria here
Old Jan 27, 2014, 5:04 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by TravellingBeard
Hi folks, travelling to Thailand this December (yeah, booking that reward flight early) and will be transiting through Frankfurt, before I fly on to BKK, in Thai Airways business class.

Simply put, which is the best *A lounge in FRA that specifically has a good place to rest for a few hours. While I enjoy walking around an airport, 7 hours is just too much. I'm agnostic to any airline, as long as they accept my Thai business class ticket, and understand that LH has about 1 million lounges there as well.

Thanks!
7 hours is more than enough to go and visit Frankfurt city. And the best lounge? Room in one of the airport hotels .
Old Jan 29, 2014, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by Houminer
LH arrival lounge!
What's so special about the arrival lounge? I have a 6h transit in FRA coming up and will be flying in/out on LH.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 3:50 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Originally Posted by glynot
What's so special about the arrival lounge? I have a 6h transit in FRA coming up and will be flying in/out on LH.
Nothing. After a shower and breakfast you are good to go.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 6:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TravellingBeard
Take the train to Mainz for a few hours. MUCH better than spending that long in the lounges.

If you don't want to leave the airport grounds then go for the tours offered by FRAPort.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 1:13 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
Originally Posted by glynot
Most people agree its the best lounge in FRA (excluding the first class lounges). It is only open during the morning and as I was reminded before. Not eveyone has access.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 2:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
I too have a 7 hour layover in FRA, and it sounds like the OP and I will be taking the same flight to BKK. I am in F on UA into FRA, then leave out on TG in F. This is the first I've heard about the AC Maple Leaf Lounge in FRA. Is it something to seek out?

I've considered going into the city but it just depends how tired/jet-lagged I am. Is it possible to stow your bags in one of the lounges before you head off to explore the city, if you'd like?
Old Jan 30, 2014, 3:56 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Originally Posted by Edgerfly
I've considered going into the city but it just depends how tired/jet-lagged I am. Is it possible to stow your bags in one of the lounges before you head off to explore the city, if you'd like?
Yes, in the lockers.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 2:49 am
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
So which is the best lounge (Assuming you can't get into the FCL)... The Maple Leaf Lounge? I'm arriving in UA F and departing TG F.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.