Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Lufthansa Business vs United First for international?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa Business vs United First for international?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2013, 8:39 pm

Good thing I did not get a chance to book 3 Cs on LH A380 before the availability disappeared! I would have thought they were like the new CX J seats.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 7:29 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

LH C on 747-8i currently booked for March. If GF opens up on UA, would you switch (no difference in miles given it's a First award but change fee would apply)..

Thanks
FDW
Old Jan 6, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: *A G, United MP Premier 1K
The old LH business class seats are just awful. I'm not a fussy person but those things are torturous. It's as if they were invented to prevent you from sleeping on a flight. Also, the old business cabin on the 380, at least upstairs, feels really cramped - very little difference to economy, except that you have a decent footrest.

The new LH business seats are very good. You can definitely sleep comfortably in them. My only complaint is that they are angled slightly toward your seat mate, i.e. your footrests will be right next to each other. If you're sitting by the window, where you have the extra storage and a bit of privacy on one side, that is less bothersome than if you're in the aisle, where you're going to be hopped over by the other person on top of being "surrounded" (by your seat mate on one side and aisle traffic on the other).

Last edited by Juju2014; Jan 6, 2014 at 1:00 pm
Old Jan 6, 2014, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by Juju2014
The old LH business class seats are just awful. I'm not a fussy person but those things are torturous. It's as if they were invented to prevent you from sleeping on a flight. Also, the old business cabin on the 747, at least upstairs, feels really cramped - very little difference to economy, except that you have a decent footrest.
What airline are you talking about ?

The only LH 747 that has C in the upstairs and main deck is 748, that is new C not old C.

LH's 744 have old C in the nose and maindeck, upstairs are all F !
Old Jan 6, 2014, 12:56 pm

Programs: *A G, United MP Premier 1K
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
What airline are you talking about ?

The only LH 747 that has C in the upstairs and main deck is 748, that is new C not old C.

LH's 744 have old C in the nose and maindeck, upstairs are all F !
Sorry, must have been the LH A380 then. The route was HKG-FRA.

Edited in the post above.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 6:25 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Sorry, found his thread after posting on a different one and the question goes better here.

I already paid for first class ward redemption for other legs.
If my options are
United 747-400 First + TG A380 First
LH 340 Business + TG A380 First
Air China 777-300 First
which one is the best for inflight experience. I do not mind taking 2 flights instead of one AC.
Air China option gives me a day to explore Beijing as a plus.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by kcdude
Sorry, found his thread after posting on a different one and the question goes better here.

I already paid for first class ward redemption for other legs.
If my options are
United 747-400 First + TG A380 First
LH 340 Business + TG A380 First
Air China 777-300 First
which one is the best for inflight experience. I do not mind taking 2 flights instead of one AC.
Air China option gives me a day to explore Beijing as a plus.
United 747-400 First + TG A380 First.

TG A380 F is something special. Try to get TG A380 F and LH F though - UA F is nothing special other than a decent business class seat.

Having said that, Air China will presumably get you to your destination much more quickly.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 12:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FlyingExplorer
UA F is nothing special other than a decent business class seat.
UA GF is not a business class seat. It may not be an SQ suite but it is a true F hard product. It's very comfortable and you do not share personal space with other passengers.

The food is not very good. The service is hit or miss; even at its best, it's less gracious than the asian carriers.

I agree that of these choices, the TG/UA combination is best.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 10:59 am
C4T

Programs: UA GS, Hilton Diamond, Sheraton Gold, Marriott Platinum
Due to a UA cancellation I flew LH 380 IAH to FRA and what a terrible experience. The seats are slanted and when in the lie flat position are like a board slanted downward. I found it impossible to get comfortable. The only was I was able to sleep was in upright position. After smokey almonds from a package that were disgusting and an appetizer that was so bad I had to wash my mouth out I passed on food the remainder of the flight. The service was marginal at best. I had not flown LH C across the Atlantic in about 15 years because the product was so bad and if anything it is worse.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 11:05 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
UA GF is not a business class seat. It may not be an SQ suite but it is a true F hard product. It's very comfortable and you do not share personal space with other passengers.

The food is not very good. The service is hit or miss; even at its best, it's less gracious than the asian carriers.

I agree that of these choices, the TG/UA combination is best.
If UA F is F, then so is DL C.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 1:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FlyingExplorer
If UA F is F, then so is DL C.
No, on DL, someone's feet are right next to your head, and your feet are next to the head of the pax in front of you. That is the basic structure of both reverse herringbone and staggered seating alignments. It's how they squeeze the seats into a 1-2-1 configuration. The consequence is that if the pax behind you kicks his footwell, your seat will shake.

This is not the case on UA GF. The pax behind you can kick his footwell to his heart's content and you will not feel a thing.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 12:28 pm

I guess I'm piggybacking on this thread, but wanted to ask how UA C compares against LH new C in terms of sleeping comfort.
I've never flown LH new C, and it looks pretty decent, but not really that much better than UA C. (overall they feel similar to me on pictures.)
What would you pick for strictly sleeping comfort on overnight flights?
IMHO food is not impressive on both airlines, so it is a tie in my books, and the service is slightly better on LH, but the hard product is more important than the soft product to me, so I'm fine with the service on either airline also.
Any opinions or comments would be appreciated, thanks a lot in advance-
Old Apr 2, 2014, 7:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by agjil
I guess I'm piggybacking on this thread, but wanted to ask how UA C compares against LH new C in terms of sleeping comfort.
I've never flown LH new C, and it looks pretty decent, but not really that much better than UA C. (overall they feel similar to me on pictures.)
What would you pick for strictly sleeping comfort on overnight flights?
IMHO food is not impressive on both airlines, so it is a tie in my books, and the service is slightly better on LH, but the hard product is more important than the soft product to me, so I'm fine with the service on either airline also.
Any opinions or comments would be appreciated, thanks a lot in advance-
My concern would be how do you know which LH aircraft/product you are getting. My experience is the routes are hit and miss to get new LH C, at least for US-Europe.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by Cargojon
My concern would be how do you know which LH aircraft/product you are getting. My experience is the routes are hit and miss to get new LH C, at least for US-Europe.
I need to book IAD-FRA, and I'm pretty sure LH has one of the 747-8i's flying this route, which has new C definitely.
So it's either this one or the UA flight for me.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 1:31 am

how's UA's first vs LH's 748 business? which is better?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.