Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Buy Eva Air Ticket, upgrade with Mileage plus

Buy Eva Air Ticket, upgrade with Mileage plus

Old May 28, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by dkerr
Were you able to confirm the three that were available? If you have not done that you probably should then you are only waiting for one more -- you don't want someone else to come in and take some of those that are currently available before you.
BR confirmed there were 3 available, but I was hesitant to take them, since I would have to split my PNR and I am traveling with my family with other airline segments (Alaska Airlines) on the trip. They would lose my FF benefits (preferred seats, baggage, etc.).

My main concern is that I had issues with United's SAUA request website, as when I tried it the first time, it showed 4 were available for 120K miles and I hit "Confirm", but it came back with an "Error !" message. I am afraid if I split the PNR for the 3, I might end up with the "Error !" message again and then I'm stuck with no upgrades and a split PNR. It has been a messy situation...
Old May 28, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by thedaffodils
I called both TG and BR, they said they couldn't tell me the availability of upgrade ticket. However, soon after I hung up, my upgrade request suddenly went through despite the fact that it was denied due to no availability 10 minutes earlier.
Did you get a confirmation from BR? I am curious because I went through the process and got an "Error !" message on United's SAUA request webpage, but I tried a few times and it appeared to have gone through on the last try. But I did not get any confirmation from BR, so I contacted United about the error messages and they had no idea and just told me to wait a few days and it should clear. I waited and still nothing, so I contacted BR and they said they didn't see any upgrade request. By that time, they claimed only 3 seats were available, which was frustrating as I needed 4. So now I am debating whether or not to split the PNR and try my luck again.
Old May 28, 2017, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by IntlSalesGuy
BR confirmed there were 3 available, but I was hesitant to take them, since I would have to split my PNR and I am traveling with my family with other airline segments (Alaska Airlines) on the trip. They would lose my FF benefits (preferred seats, baggage, etc.).

My main concern is that I had issues with United's SAUA request website, as when I tried it the first time, it showed 4 were available for 120K miles and I hit "Confirm", but it came back with an "Error !" message. I am afraid if I split the PNR for the 3, I might end up with the "Error !" message again and then I'm stuck with no upgrades and a split PNR. It has been a messy situation...
While I can't speak for what it is like with Alaska I can speak for American. In this case I have had to split my family PNR to secure upgrades. The person with highest status is always the last person to get upgraded... to preserve whatever benefits/priorities are available. For preferred seat assignments, once they are assigned they are not lost if the non-status persons get separated into another PNR... but they will lose the ability to reassign to preferred seating. As for baggage, once in business class there should be no issue with baggage, at least on BR... but it would depend on AS applying baggage rules for the "most significant segment" to your connecting flight, they should, but you would need to check on that.

DAK.
Old May 28, 2017, 7:37 pm

Programs: TG ROP
Originally Posted by IntlSalesGuy
Did you get a confirmation from BR? I am curious because I went through the process and got an "Error !" message on United's SAUA request webpage, but I tried a few times and it appeared to have gone through on the last try. But I did not get any confirmation from BR, so I contacted United about the error messages and they had no idea and just told me to wait a few days and it should clear. I waited and still nothing, so I contacted BR and they said they didn't see any upgrade request. By that time, they claimed only 3 seats were available, which was frustrating as I needed 4. So now I am debating whether or not to split the PNR and try my luck again.
I never received any confirmation from BR. I looked up my booking on BR app, and my ticket was changed from B to Z.

I think it might be an error with UA website when you first tried to upgrade it? I remember reading about getting "Error !" message without further message, and it was a problem with UA website.
Old May 29, 2017, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by thedaffodils
I never received any confirmation from BR. I looked up my booking on BR app, and my ticket was changed from B to Z.

I think it might be an error with UA website when you first tried to upgrade it? I remember reading about getting "Error !" message without further message, and it was a problem with UA website.
Yes, it was frustrating because it confirmed 4 seats were available to upgrade but the webpage had the error at the last second. Now they only have 3 available seats. At least I know it should process immediately, otherwise I need to escalate it. Still makes me nervous to split the PNR now and risk getting the same Error ! message even with the 3.
Old May 31, 2017, 4:29 pm

While I can't speak for what it is like with Alaska I can speak for American. In this case I have had to split my family PNR to secure upgrades. The person with highest status is always the last person to get upgraded... to preserve whatever benefits/priorities are available. For preferred seat assignments, once they are assigned they are not lost if the non-status persons get separated into another PNR... but they will lose the ability to reassign to preferred seating. As for baggage, once in business class there should be no issue with baggage, at least on BR... but it would depend on AS applying baggage rules for the "most significant segment" to your connecting flight, they should, but you would need to check on that.

DAK.
So I went ahead and split my PNR into 3 and 1 after confirming with EVA that there were 3 seats available to upgrade. I went through United's SAUA website and it showed it was available for 90,000 miles for the 3. I hit confirm and again, I get the dreaded "Error !" message. I was on the phone with United Reservations and they tried contacting web support but apparently their phones are having issues. They told me to try again tomorrow and they will probably have to open a service ticket to investigate further. If it matters, I also tried upgrading just myself (single PNR) and same thing with the "Error !" message

Last edited by IntlSalesGuy; May 31, 2017 at 4:30 pm Reason: Added more details
Old Jun 6, 2017, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by OperaLover
I want to report back my success using the United MileagePlus miles to upgrade the EVA Airline economy tickets to business class. As already been explained by this thread, I first searched for EVA Air JFK-TPE-JFK flights through United Airline's award travel search page. I found the flights I wanted showing saver business award available for both flights, and the system confirmed the fare class was I. I then went to EVA Air's website to book the economy class tickets. Only the Eco Flex option gave me the class B tickets. The other options were all cheaper but not class B or Y tickets. Before I booked, I also called EVA just to check. The agent told me to make sure to book class B or Y, and she said the online price quote is usually cheaper than booking through the phone. She also told me that she cannot confirm whether these seats can be upgraded because the upgrade is handled by United. But since I am booking far in advance (booking in May for October flights), and my departure city is in the US, I can cancel with full refund within 24 hours. I went ahead and booked the class B economy tickets on EVA Air website. Within 10 minutes I went to the United SAUA request website and provided the ticket information. My upgrade was confirmed immediately. I went back to EVA's website to manage my reservation, and the ticket was now showing Royal Laurel Class Z.

Thanks all again for documenting this upgrade method!
I cannot for the life of me figure out how you were able to find a JFK-TPE-JFK direct flight off of United website. Anytime I search for this, it bypasses the direct flight from EVA and provides connecting flights only.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 5:20 am

Programs: mileage plus
Anyone here recently upgrade from Y/B to business and travel with a child under 2? I'm thinking about flying next Feb with my spouse and infant. Does the infant require full points for the upgrade? Thanks!
Old Jul 3, 2017, 6:42 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
If the infant has his/her own seat, then full points required.
If the infant is a lap child, then no points required.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
If the infant has his/her own seat, then full points required.
If the infant is a lap child, then no points required.
If the infant is a lap child then you will need to buy a ticket for him/her. Typically this is 10% (but some airlines charge more, perhaps to discourage it) of the adult fare for the cabin you are seated in., i.e. Business Class, not economy. I suggest using something like matrix.itasoftware.com and selecting flight for exactly the same [round-trip] itinerary as you are flying specifying one adult and one infant-in-lap so you can see exactly what the infant should cost you (you can't search for just an infant, as there needs to be an accompanying adult).

Warning... expect an unpleasant surprise. It will likely be more expensive than you are expecting.

Once you know what to expect you will need to call the airline directly to book as they will have to cross-reference to your PNR.

DAK
Old Jul 4, 2017, 5:48 am

Programs: mileage plus
good tip! thanks

now another Q, since SUAU upgrades in segments and the departure and return flight has two segments and I only want to upgrade the second segment to business (the flight over the Pacific), how do they charge me for that? is it 10% of the econ segment and 10% for the business segment?

If the infant is a lap child then you will need to buy a ticket for him/her. Typically this is 10% (but some airlines charge more, perhaps to discourage it) of the adult fare for the cabin you are seated in., i.e. Business Class, not economy. I suggest using something like matrix.itasoftware.com and selecting flight for exactly the same [round-trip] itinerary as you are flying specifying one adult and one infant-in-lap so you can see exactly what the infant should cost you (you can't search for just an infant, as there needs to be an accompanying adult).

Warning... expect an unpleasant surprise. It will likely be more expensive than you are expecting.

Once you know what to expect you will need to call the airline directly to book as they will have to cross-reference to your PNR.

DAK
Old Jul 4, 2017, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bikecraft
good tip! thanks

now another Q, since SUAU upgrades in segments and the departure and return flight has two segments and I only want to upgrade the second segment to business (the flight over the Pacific), how do they charge me for that? is it 10% of the econ segment and 10% for the business segment?
it should price as 10% of the highest cabin.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 7:13 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by cfischer
it should price as 10% of the highest cabin.
No, You will be paying for the infant as a lap child based on the original, entire fare.

If you then upgrade your seat for one leg, there should be no additional collection for either you or the infant.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
No, You will be paying for the infant as a lap child based on the original, entire fare.

If you then upgrade your seat for one leg, there should be no additional collection for either you or the infant.
I have done this in the past (years ago when my first child was an infant) and you pay based on the cabin in which you are seated, not the cabin that you paid for (unless you get an operational-upgrade).

From the BR fare rules...

INFANT UNDER 2 WITHOUT A SEAT - CHARGE 10 PERCENT OF
THE FARE.
TICKET DESIGNATOR - IN AND PERCENT OF DISCOUNT.
MUST BE ACCOMPANIED ON ALL FLIGHTS IN SAME
COMPARTMENT BY ADULT 16 OR OLDER.
NOTE -

Must be accompanied by an adult in same compartment. If you paid infant fare is in economy class, then the adult must sit in economy class.
May not seem fair, but those are the rules.

Note that the 10% discount is on the base fare. All taxes and fees (fuel surcharge) are not discounted... unless the taxing jurisdiction has different rules for lap infants.

DAK
Old Sep 4, 2017, 1:46 am

Programs: DL SM, Marriot PLT, Tall guy in need of legroom
Just wanted to thank everyone for this thread. I dont fly INTL much at all but have a last minute biz trip to TPE and had a bunch of UA miles I was looking to spend. Bought the BR flight in B class on their site after looking at expertflyer for I class availability and then locked in my 2 upgrades online with the star alliance award link. $1200 all in + 60K miles to fly RT in biz class for the first time will be nice, especially since I'm 6' 5" and have troubling sleeping in regular airline seats. I'm on the ground in TPE for 48 hours so my jet lag should be awesome LOL

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.