Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Best Business Class to Australia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2013, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

I have enough Aeroplan points for my wife and I to go business class to Australia / NZ and probably a stop at one of the South Pacific islands (Fiji? Raratonga? Don't know). Which Star Alliance airline going these paces has the best business class? I've heard good things about Air NZ, but have never flown them. I have a Canadian's natural reticence to expect much of Air Canada, but people tell me they have improved. Open to suggestion, thanks.

JS
Old Aug 20, 2013, 11:49 pm

The best product is the one you can actually GET..

Availability of award seats (especially 2 at a time) may well be the toughest part of the "choice"..

Award availability in C on NZ for instance seems to be a very rare animal indeed...

I'd suggest starting with the ANA tool (and/or a paid Expertflyer subscription) and start checking what IS available...

Best of luck!
Old Aug 21, 2013, 12:34 am

Programs: UA 2MM/*A Gold, Alaska MVP Gold, WN A-List, Hertz Platinum, IHG Platinum
I'm fond of UA's business class on the B744 Upper Deck. You can usually find pretty good award availability. Good service, good food, lie-flat (180°) bed, excellent IFE and in-seat power for your various electronics (USB/110V/220V and iPhone/iPad adapter to watch your own content on their 15" monitors). A friend of mine is a FA for NZ and she likes UA's C hard product too but says NZ's service and catering is light years ahead of UA.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 2:06 am

IMHO, the C from NZ beats the C of UA/AC, but I found it very hard to catch an award C-seat on NZ.
Beside NZ, I would chose United over Air Canada.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BankerManUSA
I'm fond of UA's business class on the B744 Upper Deck. You can usually find pretty good award availability. Good service, good food, lie-flat (180°) bed, excellent IFE and in-seat power for your various electronics (USB/110V/220V and iPhone/iPad adapter to watch your own content on their 15" monitors). A friend of mine is a FA for NZ and she likes UA's C hard product too but says NZ's service and catering is light years ahead of UA.
UA is switching the SFO/LAX-SYD routes to the 777 unfortunately...no more UD
Old Aug 24, 2013, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA EP, OZ Diamond, WS Plat, Avis CHM, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I've done all of those to Australia, and concur with the previous posters. NZ handily beats both UA and AC. If you're OK with conneting, OZ would be my second choice (via ICN). Otherwise, the UA nonstop from the west coast down to SYD is also a decent product. AC ... meh, not a fan of but if there was good availability I would be OK with it.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 6:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Other *A options would involve connections on SQ (to various major cities in Australia nonstop from SIN) or ANA through NRT. You don't say where you're originating, but I assume that connecting through Europe would not be allowed or would cost more miles/points.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 5:45 am

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
NZ on 777 or 747 is excellent. On 767 it's not a full bed. LAX RAR operates once a week and is therefore difficult to score rewards seats on that route. FLights RAR AKL are usually A320s with no business class; some days are a 777, however.

AC YVR SYD is a good service; also can be difficult getting reward seats. You might do better with AC to HNL then NZ to AKL, But again, that's usually a 767 without the bed on the NZ sector.

UA is the weakest for sure.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by BankerManUSA
A friend of mine is a FA for NZ and she likes UA's C hard product too but says NZ's service and catering is light years ahead of UA.
It is but using miles/points, basically is impossible to get NZ C awards, I have looked for a very long time and couldn't even get 1 seat, not to mention there are 2 people on OP's PNR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.