Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Gold (with Air Canada) Upgrading on United

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2013, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

I have a question about how Star Alliance Gold Air Canada members can upgrade on United.

Right now I am a 75k elite, about to become 100k super elite on Air Canada (although a lot of my miles have actually been on United flights).

How do I upgrade when booking a United flight? Does it cost me e-upgrade credits (or $ or miles?) And when do I apply for it?

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

If this question has been asked before, sorry for the clutter, and a link to the answer/thread would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan
Old Aug 20, 2013, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold

Welcome to FT!
What you want is a *A upgrade. The only way is to book a full-fare ticket on UA - C/D in business to upgrade to First or Y/B in economy to upgrade to business and use miles. You need to look at the *A award upgrade chart on the Aeroplan site.
Also, you can look at this thread from the AC forum.

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; Aug 20, 2013 at 2:00 pm Reason: added welcome and thread link
Old Aug 20, 2013, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

sorry double post

Last edited by JoLT; Aug 20, 2013 at 6:18 pm Reason: double post
Old Aug 20, 2013, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Thanks UA,

Upgrading a fully paid United fare using Air Canada miles does not appear to be an efficient use of miles if I'm understanding it correctly that I need to pay 100% of the miles based on this: http://www3.aeroplan.com/FlightRewardChart.do.

Looks like Economy Plus is the way to go.

Thanks for your help UA.

Dan
Old Aug 20, 2013, 9:15 pm

Programs: AC
That's the wrong chart. This is Aeroplan's upgrade chart: https://www3.aeroplan.com/saua/Chart.do

Still not a good use of miles, since discounted Business is often a similar price to full-fare Economy.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 1:28 pm

If E+ is an option you are considering and you travel UA a lot I would highly recommend going with an annual subscription.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.