Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Star Gold Lounge Access at SCL

Old Jun 1, 2013, 4:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MileagePlus 1K, TK Miles & Smiles Elite, AAdvantage Member

Ever since the LAN-TAM merger, there has been a lot of confusion about which VIP lounge Star Alliance gold customers flying TAM can use at SCL airport in Santiago, Chile. I am flying Y on TAM from SCL to GIG as a UA 1K (*G) and was permitted to the AA Admirals Club, but not the LAN Mistral or Neruda lounges.

The Admirals Club is not bad as far as South American lounges go... As of June 2013 at 6am there is good WiFi, assorted cold food and snacks, a coffee machine, and plenty of vacant seating.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 8:53 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Kimpton IC; IHG Diamond Ambassador;

I have the same type question. I'm flying scl-gru as star gold. Is a TAM flight number and was booked on TAM, but now is LAN metal (schedule change left me no other option). Wondering what lounge options there are at SCL.

Furthermore, since TAM moved to T8 at JFK, which Lounge can *G customers use? Previously it was the LX lounge in T4, but now that they're in the AA terminal, what gives? Sure will be strange if the AAdmirals Club admits a United elite on basis of *A Gold.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MileagePlus 1K, TK Miles & Smiles Elite, AAdvantage Member
Strange indeed for United *Gs to be admitted into the AA Admirals Lounges but that was the case this morning at SCL. The agent at the LAN Neruda lounge told me that they admit TAM business class passengers to the LAN lounges but *Gs on TAM seeking lounge access are directed to the Admirals Lounge.

Regarding your aircraft change to LAN, just bring a copy of the original booking and insist that you booked a TAM (Star Alliance) routing and should be entitled lounge access regardless of metal.

Can't speak for JFK -- not sure what the situation is there.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Kimpton IC; IHG Diamond Ambassador;
Originally Posted by pr4veen
Strange indeed for United *Gs to be admitted into the AA Admirals Lounges but that was the case this morning at SCL. The agent at the LAN Neruda lounge told me that they admit TAM business class passengers to the LAN lounges but *Gs on TAM seeking lounge access are directed to the Admirals Lounge.

Regarding your aircraft change to LAN, just bring a copy of the original booking and insist that you booked a TAM (Star Alliance) routing and should be entitled lounge access regardless of metal.

Can't speak for JFK -- not sure what the situation is there.
Thanks! Will report back my experience. I'm outbound next week 13 Jun JFK-GIG-SCL on JJ.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 7:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
It's been a while since anyone posted in this thread, but have there been any changes to the lounge situation in SCL? We have upcoming flights in March on AC (SCL-EZE) and UA (SCL-IAH) and just wondering if there will be anything for us.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 9:34 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
still think it is AA lounge--at least it was until Christmas last year . . .
Old Dec 10, 2014, 3:35 pm

Sky Club

I am flying United SCL - IAH tonight and after being rejected by Admirals Club and several other lounges I found that United is using the Delta Sky Club - at least for now.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 7:21 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, jpfullmer!

Originally Posted by jpfullmer
I found that United is using the Delta Sky Club - at least for now.
Thanks for the note.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by jpfullmer
I am flying United SCL - IAH tonight and after being rejected by Admirals Club and several other lounges I found that United is using the Delta Sky Club - at least for now.
FYI, this changed sometime after the first of this year. All *G can now use the Avianca lounge at Gate 12. Honestly, I think it is better than the Delta Club but not as good as Admirals. It's a bit bigger and more light than Delta. But food is better at Admirals.

FWIW
Old May 24, 2015, 4:47 pm

Programs: Mileage Plan
flying out of SCL tomorrow night. Will try the Avianca lounge. Does anyone know if there are showers? Will be running around all day in SCL and a hot shower before a flight helps me sleep.
Old May 24, 2015, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by ASEFlyer
Will try the Avianca lounge. Does anyone know if there are showers?
I don't recall seeing any when we were there in March.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 3:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Any reports of the status of is lounge? The Star Alliance page shows no lounges available. But my Prioriy Pass page shows Avianca, and The Lounge, the latter of which has showers available. There are other small lounges available in the network, but I am curious about he Star Alliance Gold access. Traveling through there in December. Thanks!
Old Aug 16, 2015, 4:10 pm

It will be whichever lounge your airline has a contract with. UA was using the DL lounge when I was there last, for example.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 1:45 pm

Programs: Mileage Plan
Originally Posted by sbm12
It will be whichever lounge your airline has a contract with. UA was using the DL lounge when I was there last, for example.
Avianca lounge when I was there in May or June.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM
Avianca lounge/info on location of United counters

I am in the Avianca lounge now which is downstairs near gate 12. It shows it is a star alliance Gold lounge. When checking in for flight in J, was not told of the lounge but when I asked was directed here, but the agents were harried with lots of people with cancelled connections in IAH due to the snowstorm on the East Coast.

The Avianca lounge is small but has wine and spirits out and there are paninis and a press fruit salad sweets etc. No hot food now at 930 pm but there are spots for food tray warmers.
I don't think there are any Star late flights after the Air Canada flight leaves so I'm guessing the 25 or so people in here are all on the SCL-IAH.

Some information for folks transiting from a domestic flight to the sole daily United flight departure at 11 pm, check in does not start until around 745pm and United occupies the counters 90-95 that are at the far end away from the other US carriers right next to the entrance to the domestic pier. If you arrive on another flight early you can't check in until three hours before departure timeand therefore can't get to the lounge until then. I arrived from a LAN domestic flight and had to kill three hours here before checking in. There are restaurants in the terminal and the Holiday Inn is just across the way - a two minute walk if you would prefer their hotel restaurant, which is pretty nice having stayed there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.