Wiki Posts
Search

ORD -> BKK Nov 2014

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by vbroucek
Where did you get the nonsense of baseless comment? I have flown F and C on SQ, LH, LX, UA and QF so my comment is definitely not baseless.
Didn't you say this "Somehow I do not think that F is that much better than C" ? Which means you had never flown F, and if you do, you obviously know there is a significant difference on SQ, LH, LX, UA and QF between F and C.

Originally Posted by vbroucek
I have done it both as revenue as well as on points, and in my opinion, I cannot justify financial and point difference between C and F. Yes, there is better brand of champagne, there is caviar (which I do not eat, sorry), first class lounges etc... But then again, with careful planning, I do not need lounges because if I would go on honeymoon, I would prefer to spend it in top class hotel and limit time at airports to minimum, Champagne always tastes better on ground etc. etc. But yes, they are just my opinions. But please, do not force your opinions on me, I did not force mine on you either - I just said what I would do and I still think it is viable for OP, particularly if they never flew anything else than whY...

So, both of you, please, next time answer OP's question and leave your unfounded critique of others for somewhere else...
I think we are actually the ones that are answering OP's question but who knows about you.

For one did you read OP's first post ? OP is looking for best airline to fly first class, trip to remember, not trying to save the flying experience to the minimum like you think or suggested.

Originally Posted by dekchi84
I'm planning a honeymoon for me and my wife. We should have enough miles to fly first class for Nov 2014 trip. I'm wondering what would be the best airline to fly first class. Both of us usually fly coach. We want to make this to be the trip to remember!

Any suggestion/advice??

@ORDnHKG - Thanks. I didn't know it would be really hard to find F on NH. That made me think twice about having ORD - NRT - BKK as a back up plan
@mecabq - I haven't looking into OZ yet. How would you compare them to NH or LH? UR - Ultimate Reward (Chase program)

We normally fly coach. I flew in business once but never First. Wife never been in either. I figure she'll be as happy being in either. I want to go for First because it's not that much more (in miles) for going from business to first. Not end of the world if I can't.
OZ and NH are in the same league in terms of seat, food (it depends if you like Japanese or Korean food more, though both of their western choices are excellent too) and service with LH should be last to consider, though LH offer way better F lounge in both FRA and MUC than OZ and NH offered. LH F seats are also nothing special except if you can get F on their 744 with new F, the ones in upper deck with seat and a separate bed, that is quite a memorable experience for me.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; May 15, 2013 at 10:26 pm
Old May 16, 2013, 1:05 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Didn't you say this "Somehow I do not think that F is that much better than C" ? Which means you had never flown F, and if you do, you obviously know there is a significant difference on SQ, LH, LX, UA and QF between F and C.
As I said, I have flown them and I still think/believe that F is not that significantly better than C to guarantee significantly higher amount of points or money. However, that seems too hard for you to understand...

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
For one did you read OP's first post ? OP is looking for best airline to fly first class, trip to remember, not trying to save the flying experience to the minimum like you think or suggested.
Did you really read my post? Or did you react as soon as you saw something else than you wanted to see? I did not suggest "to save (sic) the flying experience to the minimum", I suggested that perhaps doing C and saving points for perhaps another trip might be better idea... But again, seems too hard for you to comprehend...
Old May 21, 2013, 4:53 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
I do this routing a few times a year. I always try to fly F ORD to Europe (LHR, CDG, FRA) and then hook up with Thai Airways and their Airbus 380 ( It will start LHR sometime in the future). I try FRA and then 2 weeks out try to change it to LUFTHANSA over UA, great experience.

The Thai 380 in F is fantastic. There seems to usually be good availability on Thai in F. If you take F on Thai when you land they meet you at the plane with a golf cart, drive you through the LONG terminal to a special Immigration desk (no waiting), get your luggage for you and carry it out to where you are going. The other Immigration lines can be very, very long at times. With Thai you walk right through.

If you take Thai back through Europe home you check in at a lounge, no lines, no desk. They take you through a special security line to the First Class Lounge. It id an experience. You can get a free 1 hour full body massage. This is valid on any F seat even if through Tokyo.

You have to try Thai and the 380.
Old May 21, 2013, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Thanks TonyBurr. I'll def keep this in mind.
Old May 22, 2013, 11:01 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
@mecabq - I haven't looking into OZ yet. How would you compare them to NH or LH? UR - Ultimate Reward (Chase program)
Sorry, I have never flown OZ F. But the reports here are excellent. I have flown LH and NH F (though not the latter's newest product) and, based on the reports of OZ, I assume that you can't go wrong with them in comparison.

OZ business compares favorably, in my experience, with LH and NH. I know that both of the latter are rolling out new products, but I had a lie-flat seat on OZ C from SFO that was terrific. Good Korean food and excellent service. I don't remember the entertainment, but LH and NH are sub-par in this aspect.
Old May 22, 2013, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

I have a feeling that no matter which advice I took from this forum, I can't go wrong The only thing that stopping me now is when will those award seat open up!
Old May 22, 2013, 4:35 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Here is nice article about when airlines release awards: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...eir-schedules/
Old May 28, 2013, 3:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally I was thinking

ORD -> NRT on ANA
NRT -> BKK on TG

What do you guys think? I heard ANA lounge at NRT is pretty good and there won't be much headache in booking. I did some research on LH First and it is definitely something I want to try on but it looks like I won't be able to book it til last minute.
Yes this is very sensible. You are getting some bad advice here from others concerning nonexistent award space (i.e., F on SQ, LH, or LX). Your best choices are likely to be flights on NH and OZ connecting through NRT or ICN. Note that while SQ will have availability inter-asia (i.e., SIN-BKK), their medium-haul product is nothing special and definitely not worth an extra stop (unless you want to spend a day or two in Singapore).

Another option would be to connect through Europe to TG. The trick here will be to pick those routes where TG flies the 380. The risk is that TG will swap equipment (as TG is wont to do) and you'll wind up on a creaky old 747.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.