Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Sign in using an external account

Old Jan 9, 13, 9:16 pm   #1

Programs: UA 1K; DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond; Starwood Gold; Fairmont Premier; sundry rental car programs.
Best way in Star Alliance F from Halifax to Shanghai

My parents need to fly from Halifax, Canada (YHZ) to Shanghai, China. They need to fly Star Alliance, and I need to put them in F for this trip (C is ok only on two-class aircraft, and on short connecting flights). Would appreciate your routing suggestions please! Either transpacific or transatlantic is fine.
Old Jan 9, 13, 9:49 pm   #2

Programs: Continental, United, British Airways, American, China, Virgin America, Virgin Atlantic, Alaska
Best way in Star Alliance F from Halifax to Shanghai

Are you using miles or paying cash?
LeviFlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 13, 10:26 pm   #3

Programs: AC MM, SE100K , SPG Plat
And what is best? Shortest flying time? Fewest connections? Best seats? best service?
Old Jan 10, 13, 7:10 am   #4

Programs: UA 1K; DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond; Starwood Gold; Fairmont Premier; sundry rental car programs.
Paying. Best being, as you point out, subjective, I would say: fewer connections, lie-flat beds, good service.
Old Jan 10, 13, 9:04 am   #5

given the YHZ origin, probably best just to put them on Air Canada in C via YYZ.

Only one stop, full flat beds on the YYZ-PVG leg and no back tracking. Service not nearly as good as on Asian carriers but very comfortable and much much more convenient than any of the true F options which would all involve 2+ stops, immigration etc.

Any of the LX/LH F options from YYZ/YUL would take much longer, involve an additional stop and cost far more...
FLLDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 13, 9:07 am   #6

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K View Post
Paying. Best being, as you point out, subjective, I would say: fewer connections, lie-flat beds, good service.
The shortest flight with fewest connections would be AC ... YHZ-YYZ-PVG. About 20 hours total. No F, but lie-flat business on a 2 class aircraft.

If you wanted a solid F product, I guess the easiest would be a combinations of AC and LX, YHZ-BOS-ZRH-PVG. Somewhere around 27 hours and the YHZ-BOS leg is economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLLDL View Post
Any of the LX/LH F options from YYZ/YUL would take much longer, involve an additional stop and cost far more...
Absolutely ... at least 2X the price for AC.
cheltzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 13, 9:09 am   #7

Programs: AC MM, SE100K , SPG Plat
Fewest connections and transit time would be AC YHZ-YYZ-PVG.
Old Jan 10, 13, 11:39 am   #8

Programs: US Platinum, DL Gold, SPG Gold, BA Silver
I concur with the AC direct option, although another possibility is YHZ-LHR-FRA-PVG using AC C then LH C then LH F. I think it's a bit quicker than going through BOS.
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 13, 12:24 pm   #9

Programs: UA 1K, AA Exec Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, PC Plat Amb, Fairmont Premier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
I concur with the AC direct option, although another possibility is YHZ-LHR-FRA-PVG using AC C then LH C then LH F. I think it's a bit quicker than going through BOS.
Could be a nice option, though LHR and especially FRA are not the most user-friendly airports to transit through if the parents aren't in great shape or are inexperienced flyers.

Beyond that, great advice for the OP re AC, but one question that might or might not matter to him and his folks: Is it possible to lower the high dividers between the C seats? They're great for solo passengers but if the dividers can't be lowered then not as good for couples.

One other though if SQ is not stopping the NYC-SIN non-stops by the time the parents fly and if the arriving and departing NYC airports are the same is YHZ-NYC-SIN-PVG in C. But I get back to the point that AC seems best.
Old Jan 10, 13, 3:56 pm   #10

Location: Base: EWR/LGA/JFK. 2013: BOS, DCA, IAD, RDU, ORD, LAX, SFO, SNA, PHX, DFW, YUL, BCN, FRA, ZRH, MRS, YYZ, DEN, PHL, CHS, NRT, BKK, HYD, DEL, MAA, DXB, SIN
Programs: *A Gold, UA 1K, Hertz President, Amtrak Select Plus, Ritz Plat
AC, as long as you get the 777 lie flat. Herringbone 1-2-1 with bar.
rgrobins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 13, 9:17 pm   #11

Programs: AC, AA
Another two stop-option is YHZ-ORD-NRT/ICN-PVG. Only the transpacific component would be in F, but it would be NH or OZ F, and total trip time is a few hrs faster than TATL.
vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 13, 4:11 am   #12

Thank you all! But my parents refuse to fly C all the way so AC business is not possible.
Old Jan 15, 13, 5:00 am   #13

In that case it sounds like your options are somewhat limited. Good F on Star are SQ, NH and OZ, also LH and LX. It seems to be easy to get to BOS, YUL or YYZ from YHZ.

BOS-MUC-PVG on LH with a very long layover in MUC
BOS-FRA-PVG on LH with an even longer layover in FRA (but the FCT is nice)
BOS-ZRH-PVG with a very good connection in ZRH in both directions

Flights from YUL on LH have similar long connections, also the LX flights don't connect well. YYZ also has no better connections.

Looks like LX via BOS is your best bet.
Unterwegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 13, 5:11 pm   #14
m.y

Programs: AC *E HHonors Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unterwegs View Post
BOS-ZRH-PVG with a very good connection in ZRH in both directions

But connecting in BOS is terrible, one would have to exit security, take a shuttle bus from terminal B to E. It looks like going via BOS, ZRH would take 27 hours versus 19 hours via YYZ, and they would be stuck in Y for YHZ-BOS. I don't see how flying F over C is worth it given the extra 8 hours of traveling time and an extra connection.
m.y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 13, 5:18 pm   #15
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mystic & T.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K View Post
Thank you all! But my parents refuse to fly C all the way so AC business is not possible.
Why?

These days there are so few differences between J and F that it's hardly noticeable except the price!

Does it have to be *A? Otherwise I would suggest YHZ-YYZ-DXB-PVG on EK F ! There really is no better way!
Guy Betsy is offline   Reply With Quote