Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

LAX > HKG first class which Airline?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2012, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

I have a lot of Asiana Star Alliance miles which I'm going to book a first class ticket on, which airline should I book a first class from from Los Angeles to Hong Kong?

If I book with Asiana looks like it will have to be LAX >ICN>HKG?
If I book with Singapore it would be something like LAX>NRT>>SIN>HKG?
Old Dec 27, 2012, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA, DL, TK
Since the intra-Asia leg on OZ may well not offer F, and SQ F may be difficult to book in any event if not using SQ miles, another option to consider is ANA F to NRT then J to HKG.

Another possibility (though perish the thought for many) is United F all the way via SFO. Within Star Alliance, this is most likely the shortest total trip time as well as longest flight in F.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
CA via PEK would be a decent choice as well. The F seats and service on the new 77W get very good reviews. The PEK-HKG leg is likely only C, but if you choose one one of the 772 or A330 flights it'll be reasonably ok for the 3 hour flight, just avoid the A321. Typically good award availability for CA as well.

Since SQ is very unlikely to be available using miles, the order I'd rank would be:

1) OZ new seats
2) NH
3) CA (77W)

You should have a very nice experience on any of them.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA-GS, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by samurai06
I have a lot of Asiana Star Alliance miles which I'm going to book a first class ticket on, which airline should I book a first class from from Los Angeles to Hong Kong?

If I book with Asiana looks like it will have to be LAX >ICN>HKG?
If I book with Singapore it would be something like LAX>NRT>>SIN>HKG?
Your chances of getting an F award ticket from LAX-NRT are basically ZERO with SQ Unless your a Krisflyer member with plenty of points. I'd use Asiana through ICN and avoid both UA and NH.

JMHO
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:43 pm

My choice would be SQ, NH or OZ. All three are pretty good in F, but all are difficult to get.
CA would be next, UA distant last (just did SFO-HKG in UA F a few month ago. It was more like a business class flight with a full flat seat (inattentive service, almost edible food and a connection in SFO which is always risky).
There is a reason why UA is pretty easy to find seats on.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
NH F looks pretty nice. I've never tried OZ but both NH and OZ seem comparable from the pictures I've seen of OZ F in the trip reports.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by blackmamba
NH F looks pretty nice. I've never tried OZ but both NH and OZ seem comparable from the pictures I've seen of OZ F in the trip reports.
I use both occasionally on intra-Asia flights and would strongly prefer OZ if all else were equal. Much better lounges, I feel better onboard service, and better food IMHO.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 7:10 am

Programs: AA, DL, TK
It looks like the ICN-HKG flight on OZ is sometimes a 744. Is it possible that even though F is not sold on the intra-Asia leg, some J passengers are assigned F seats? Based on OP's redemption of Asiana miles (and possibly status?) that could also point toward OZ being the best choice.

Of course it may just come down to F availability on preferred dates...
Old Dec 28, 2012, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Keep in mind that SQ also flies SFO-HKG. Again, not easy to get seats.

TG has LAX-ICN service. Not sure if F is offered on the flight.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 9:06 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by zrs70
Keep in mind that SQ also flies SFO-HKG. Again, not easy to get seats.

TG has LAX-ICN service. Not sure if F is offered on the flight.
I don't think SQ is possible in F or C without SQ miles and maybe a few partner airlines (not UA). TG does not have F on the LAX flight.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:23 am
Original Poster

I've been on OZ first class LAX>ICN>PHN. I really dont want to book a domestic carrier or Air China.

Looks like taking a domestic flight from LAX to SFO and SQ SFO>HKG would be a good choice since it's on A380 if I can get a ticket. Otherwise, I will just fly with Asiana again.

How is ANA first class compared to OZ and SQ? thanks
Old Dec 28, 2012, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist

Looks like taking a domestic flight from LAX to SFO and SQ SFO>HKG would be a good choice since it's on A380 if I can get a ticket. Otherwise, I will just fly with Asiana again.

You can't and you won't, SQ block all premium awards for F and C on their 77W and 380 for all *A partners unless you have SQ miles, so basically forget about SQ.

NH F is totally comparable with OZ F, it all comes down to you like Korean food or Japanese food more. Just a note, NH F will be a lot harder to get compare with OZ F, NH F will often only release seats last minute (3 weeks or less). So I suggest you look for the dates first to see what's available to you.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
NH F is totally comparable with OZ F, it all comes down to you like Korean food or Japanese food more. Just a note, NH F will be a lot harder to get compare with OZ F, NH F will often only release seats last minute (3 weeks or less). So I suggest you look for the dates first to see what's available to you.
Your transpac flight on either carrier is going to be excellent, you can't go wrong with OZ or NH. There is a dramatic difference however in the 4+ hour flight from either ICN or NRT to HKG. With the exception of the 763s and A320/A321s, OZ has at least a decent C seat intra-Asia and depending on the equipment as another poster mentioned you may get even better... now NH on the other hand runs their 763s on this route (NRT) primarily and the C seat on that plane is pretty craptastic. I also personally find their C meal selection intra-Asia to be rather lacking. They do run a 777 morning service from HND but that is going to add an unnecessary transfer between airports in Tokyo and an overnight. If that part of the trip is important to you then I'd go with OZ (assuming avoiding the 1 daily A321 and availability of course).
Old Dec 31, 2012, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by dvs7310
Your transpac flight on either carrier is going to be excellent, you can't go wrong with OZ or NH. There is a dramatic difference however in the 4+ hour flight from either ICN or NRT to HKG. With the exception of the 763s and A320/A321s, OZ has at least a decent C seat intra-Asia and depending on the equipment as another poster mentioned you may get even better... now NH on the other hand runs their 763s on this route (NRT) primarily and the C seat on that plane is pretty craptastic. I also personally find their C meal selection intra-Asia to be rather lacking. They do run a 777 morning service from HND but that is going to add an unnecessary transfer between airports in Tokyo and an overnight. If that part of the trip is important to you then I'd go with OZ (assuming avoiding the 1 daily A321 and availability of course).
ICN-HKG is 3-3.5 hours
NRT-HKG is 4.5-5 hours

With the exception of OZ's 320/321, basically all 763, 333, 744, 777 all have the similiar C seats to NH C seats on 763, all of them are angle flat. (not unless it is a OZ 777 with QS seats but that is almost impossible as OZ rarely use 777 to HKG nowadays) For OZ's 744, one may have a slight chance to get to sit in F if it is sold as 2 class. NH however do provide the amenity basket in C for NRT-HKG which I find quite useful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.