Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

StarAlliance complimentary upgrades on partner airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2012, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1k, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Dabbler

Hello everyone! I'm a United 1K flyer, and I have an upcoming trip to Asia. I have flights between Tokyo-Bankok on ANA, and within Thailand on Thai Airways. Along with United, both companies are part of StarAlliance. The economy fares I booked are not upgradeable with miles, but will I still be in the running for complimentary upgrades? Thanks!
Old Aug 10, 2012, 1:14 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum

No. Only op-ups.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 1:40 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Welcome to Flyertalk. You thread has been moved from the broad MilesBuzz! forum to the more focused Star Alliance forum.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
No. Only op-ups.
Which, in case you didn't know, means operational upgrades, necessitated by the airline being oversold in economy but not in business, and is therefore much rarer than the complementary upgrades offered in the US domestic market. You should also be aware that, as far as the *A partner airline is concerned, you are Star Alliance Gold - 1K doesn't mean anything further to them. If and when it comes to operational upgrades, some airlines will prioritise all their own elites, down to an including silver, over Star Alliance Gold members - others will not. For what it's worth, I've been upgrades by Thai, but never by ANA. But when it happens, it is a very nice surprise - don't ever expect it.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by aaronkarp
Hello everyone! I'm a United 1K flyer, and I have an upcoming trip to Asia. I have flights between Tokyo-Bankok on ANA, and within Thailand on Thai Airways. Along with United, both companies are part of StarAlliance. The economy fares I booked are not upgradeable with miles, but will I still be in the running for complimentary upgrades? Thanks!
There are no complimentary upgrades even on UA metal international flights, I am not sure why you think it would happen on star alliance partners instead ?
Old Aug 10, 2012, 8:57 pm

Programs: AC
What are these "complimentary upgrades" of which you speak?
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:24 pm

Of the last 150+ flights I've taken on various Star Alliance airlines as a Star Gold, I have never been op-uped, but I'm either on an award, or a discount economy ticket. I'm sure others have better percentages with higher fare class tickets though.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 2:56 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
I have been op-uped several times. But I never got "complimentary upgrade"... Wait, actually, I got it, at Hilton hotels... One of the Gold perks...
Old Aug 11, 2012, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I have received "free upgrades" on NH and US, but I have no idea if they were complimentary or op-ups.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
There are no complimentary upgrades even on UA metal international flights, I am not sure why you think it would happen on star alliance partners instead ?
That's not correct. There are CPUs on UA in Asia for all flights except BKK-NRT and SIN-NRT (and v.v.).

However the belief that a UA flyer will get any consideration on other *A airlines is an ignorant one.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 3:04 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
The concept of free upgrades as a part of announced frequent flyer perks appears to be limited to North American airlines. The major service perks of the European FF programs are free lounge access irrespective of class flown (i.e. no membership necessary), extra luggage, priority check-in (and on waiting list). At op-ups *G FF get priority. Lufthansa intra-Europe sometimes upgrade *G (2/10 in my own experience). But do not expect an upgrade, or you will be disappointed. Free upgrades is not a *A benefit.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 8:55 pm

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by ksu
The concept of free upgrades as a part of announced frequent flyer perks appears to be limited to North American airlines.
Note AC doesn't give "free" upgrades either.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Are there *A airlines that are more likely to give op ups to partner elites? For example, Cathay pacific is known for giving op ups to OW Emerald and Sapphires (50k and 100k miles/annually).
Old Aug 20, 2012, 8:50 am

How does one get these "complimentary upgrades" with Primary airlines (forget Partners)...
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by eethan
Are there *A airlines that are more likely to give op ups to partner elites?
NO

Originally Posted by 77five
How does one get these "complimentary upgrades" with Primary airlines (forget Partners)...
Each airline is different, but the common factor is you have to be an elite, and more like top elite within the airline, and flying with the airline you have status with. (codeshare doesn't count, only metal does)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.