Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Can I get boarding passes for all connecting flights on first check in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2012, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA AA US

Is it possible to get boarding passes for each flight in the connection when I check in for the first flight? Trip is in October. I booked with UA miles this Star Alliance flight, all on one ticket:

DEN-IAD (UA) leave DEN 8:36a; arrive IAD 1:47p on 10/8

IAD-MUC (UA) leaves IAD 5:52p on 10/8; arrives MUC 7:50a on 10/9

MUC-IST (LH) leaves MUC 8:35a on 10/9

I can print boarding passes for DEN-IAD and IAD-MUC before I leave DEN since both flights are within the 24-hr period. Will I also get a boarding pass then for the MUC-IST flight on Lufthansa? The connection in MUC is tight and won't allow time to go to LH ticket counter in MUC to check in. Can I checkin at a LH gate in IAD for the LH flight to IST during my 4 hr wait there for the UA flight to MUC?

I researched this topic here but found only old threads. Thanks for your help!
Old Jul 5, 2012, 7:45 am

You will be able to get boarding passes for all three flights at DEN (not during online check in, but in the airport).
Old Jul 5, 2012, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA AA US
Thank you, hyderago!
Old Jul 10, 2012, 4:46 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
while your luggage will be check through to your final destination, the boarding pass for the 3rd segment will probably not be ready for print at DEN. Usually LH flights only open for printing < 24 hours (usually the computer allows it starting exactly 23 hours 59 minutes before) before scheduled departure.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 8:54 pm

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by Rudi
while your luggage will be check through to your final destination, the boarding pass for the 3rd segment will probably not be ready for print at DEN. Usually LH flights only open for printing < 24 hours (usually the computer allows it starting exactly 23 hours 59 minutes before) before scheduled departure.
Yes, and OP's first flight from DEN departs 15 hours 59 minutes before the departure time of the last flight from MUC. So LH flight will already be open when he checks in at the airport in DEN.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by hyderago
You will be able to get boarding passes for all three flights at DEN (not during online check in, but in the airport).
Did this prove to be the case for you? I've just posted in the OW forum about a massive problem I had because I wasn't given all the boarding passes, which resulted in missing the connecting flight and would be interested to know what the standard practice is regarding connecting flights with multiple carriers?
Old Jul 20, 2012, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by trf0412
Did this prove to be the case for you? I've just posted in the OW forum about a massive problem I had because I wasn't given all the boarding passes, which resulted in missing the connecting flight and would be interested to know what the standard practice is regarding connecting flights with multiple carriers?
Yes. In the past when I have had a three flight trip (on *A) in which the last flight departed within 24 hours of the first one, I have been able to get boarding passes for all three of them when I checked in at the airport for the first flight. Sorry, I don't know what the actual rule is. But my understanding is that my experiences are more the norm than the exception.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 2:39 am

We'll have a similar situation next week - 1 hour 40 minutes in London to get from a UA flight (terminal 4) to LH (terminal 1). I don't think we'll have time to get a boarding pass.

We start in SFO. Will the United Club be able to print the LH boarding pass while we're waiting (it's less than 24 hours later), or will I have to go to the international terminal before going through security and hope that there is an LH ticket counter open?

Thanks much!
Old Dec 15, 2012, 8:36 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC

AFAIK UA operates out of Terminal 1 at LHR for SFO flights, this is the same terminal LH uses. If you can't get your LH boarding pass from UA in SFO at the check-in counter you can get it at the transfer desk in LHR.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by ACflyerDE
AFAIK UA operates out of Terminal 1 at LHR for SFO flights, this is the same terminal LH uses. If you can't get your LH boarding pass from UA in SFO at the check-in counter you can get it at the transfer desk in LHR.
Thanks, but we're coming from Newark, which (along with Houston) is in terminal 4. If it was terminal 1, there wouldn't be any issue with time.

I wonder if I can get the LH pass on my phone? Then I can get get while hanging around at either SFO or EWR.

Thanks
Old Dec 15, 2012, 4:28 pm

Programs: CO-Plat/UA-1P, HHonors-Gold
Originally Posted by abbydancer
I wonder if I can get the LH pass on my phone? Then I can get get while hanging around at either SFO or EWR.

Thanks
LH is trying to offer mobile options, but I haven't tried them yet. They've got a mobile site, and maybe an app?

I've had LH and UA both give me "boarding passes" for each others flights, but they weren't always real. If you've got free time in SFO or EWR, you may try going to the LH check in desk (if it's open and accessible) and see if they can print an actual pass for you. The UA club may or may not be able to print the pass for you, but you should be able to print it from the LH website if it's going to be less than 24 hours. I don't know if EWR or SFO have accessible LH clubs, but that may be another option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.