Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Geneva connection time

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2012, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Geneva connection time

I just noticed that my Geneva connection time is tight--only 1 hour 5 minutes. I arrive at 10:45 am from Barcelona on Swiss Air #1941 and depart 11:45am on United #975 to IAD. Trip booked was weeks ago through Orbitz. I assume it's a legal connection, but is it reasonable? Are the gates typically close by to each other? Thank you.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 2:29 pm

Programs: KE MC
Originally Posted by sharonsimon
I just noticed that my Geneva connection time is tight--only 1 hour 5 minutes. I arrive at 10:45 am from Barcelona on Swiss Air #1941 and depart 11:45am on United #975 to IAD. Trip booked was weeks ago through Orbitz. I assume it's a legal connection, but is it reasonable? Are the gates typically close by to each other? Thank you.
GVA is tiny. As long as your flight is ontime, it should be plenty of time.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Any tips for making this go smoothly? Do I have to go through customs, immigration and/or security at GVA, or can I just go to my gate which I believe is in the same terminal?
Old Jun 12, 2012, 3:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
From the LX Forum http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss...GVA+connection
Old Jun 13, 2012, 4:09 am

Thanks. Any tips for making this go smoothly? Do I have to go through customs, immigration and/or security at GVA, or can I just go to my gate which I believe is in the same terminal?
Exiting Schengen at GVA so passport control in front of non-Schengen gates. Probably will arrive at A numbered gates and will leave at C numbered gates. No customs nor security.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:55 am
Original Poster

I looked at the link to the LX forum, but I am still a bit confused about what I will need to do during my 1 hour at GVA (assuming first flight is on time). I had planned to check my bag all the way through from Barcelona to IAD since it's on one ticket, and thus not deal with my bag at GVA. I now understand that I will need to go through passport control at GVA to switch to my US departure gate, but will I need to retrieve my checked bag and re-check it or can I just forget about the bag? Thanks.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:59 pm

I looked at the link to the LX forum, but I am still a bit confused about what I will need to do during my 1 hour at GVA (assuming first flight is on time). I had planned to check my bag all the way through from Barcelona to IAD since it's on one ticket, and thus not deal with my bag at GVA. I now understand that I will need to go through passport control at GVA to switch to my US departure gate, but will I need to retrieve my checked bag and re-check it or can I just forget about the bag? Thanks.
Your bag should be checked through. but they'll want you to verify it (they ask for your bag tags at a little podium). I've done one hour connections in GVA, and you should be fine, they usually have a little side entrance right in front of immigration for fast connections, even (and especially) to the US destinations.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your helpful information.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 2:02 pm

will I need to retrieve my checked bag and re-check it or can I just forget about the bag?
Only at the first point of arrival in the US or if 2 separate itineraries.

Europe can do customs at one's destination (especially since almost every airport is int'l), US is the one that does not have customs capability at every airport.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
Revived...I've got the same flights next month and was also concerned about the 1:05 connection time in GVA. I've transferred through ZRH in the past with a similar tight connection and was ok. Thanks flyertalk as always!^
Old Jun 5, 2017, 2:30 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Arrival on Etihad with a connection on BA 50 minutes later or better to be on SWISS? Hand baggage only. Assuming all flights on time. Do-able? Many thanks.

Last edited by NoY; Jun 5, 2017 at 6:16 am Reason: typos
Old Jun 5, 2017, 6:17 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by NoY
Arrival on Etihad with a connection on BA 50 minutes later or better to be on SWISS? Hand baggage only. Assuming all flights on time. Do-able? Many thanks.
Happy to move to the SWISS Forum if better there?
Old Jun 5, 2017, 11:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by NoY
Are you contemplating booking this or already done so? It sounds like you will have two separate tickets, in which case you don't have a connection and MCTs are irrelevant. If for whatever reason you do not present yourself at the gate in time for your second flight, the entire ticket will auto-cancel and you will have no protection. You'll have to book a new ticket. Not showing up in time could be for many reasons, including a delayed inbound flight.

Can it be done? Sure. If you were on one ticket you'd be accommodated on a later flight, but you won't be. It depends on your appetite for risk (or self-insurance). Hint: Would I do that, as a frequent GVA visitor? No way!
Old Jun 5, 2017, 9:16 pm
NoY

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Are you contemplating booking this or already done so? It sounds like you will have two separate tickets, in which case you don't have a connection and MCTs are irrelevant. If for whatever reason you do not present yourself at the gate in time for your second flight, the entire ticket will auto-cancel and you will have no protection. You'll have to book a new ticket. Not showing up in time could be for many reasons, including a delayed inbound flight.

Can it be done? Sure. If you were on one ticket you'd be accommodated on a later flight, but you won't be. It depends on your appetite for risk (or self-insurance). Hint: Would I do that, as a frequent GVA visitor? No way!
Thank you for your reply. I had suspected that might be the case!

No, I have not booked the connection (so yes that will be on a separate ticket) but am arriving on EY (flexible tix).

This has all been precipitated by the UAE closing all airspace/transportation to/from DOH & my tix next week AUH-DOH-LHR being extremely unlikely to happen (although they may re-book me I do need backup!).

Chances are I will book a separate connection a little later on with SWISS
Old Jun 6, 2017, 12:36 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
One additional thing to mention is that GVA has flights to LCY on both BA & LX which won't appear if you put in LHR. It may be more or less convenient for you but adds options either way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.