Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Need advice - overnight stay at HKG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2012, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AP, MP

I have an SA gold status, arriving at HKG on a non-SA airline on Saturday evening and leaving on Sunday morning on United to USA.

Since United won't let me do the online check in (they need to check docs, etc when going into USA), I will only be able to get my boarding pass few hours before the flight ...

So I was wondering if it's a good idea to buy a fully refundable ticket on one of the SA airlines and go through security and in the lounge, then cancel and refund the ticket? And then check in at the transit desks in the morning at the transit counters?

Thanks for your input.
Old May 13, 2012, 1:41 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Since the *A lounges close around 11:30pm - midnight, if you're asking because you want to spend the night in the lounge, then no, it's not a good idea. I'd try and find a cheap airport hotel.
Old May 13, 2012, 3:24 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Best idea is just get a room at either of the 2 airport hotels
Old May 13, 2012, 8:23 am

Cool

Not sure your budget or intentions, but by the sound of it, you don't want to pay for a hotel since you want to crash at the lounge.

You could also consider crashing in the terminal chairs once landside. According to this site people won't bother you and you can check in once the desk opens and go to the lounge inside. Plus there's long benches without armrests to sleep on.

http://www.sleepinginairports.net/asia/hongkong.htm

It looks like the first flight on UA is to NRT around 1015, so I assume the check-in desk will open around 715am.

BTW, there is a HK forum for which this post is probably most appropriate.
Old May 13, 2012, 11:10 pm

there is a pay lounge in arrivals where you can stay for 10 hrs for $700 HKD about $90 US. Includes shower, meal, soft drinks and a 15 min massage. Not a bad deal considering the Marriott or the Regal want $180 a night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.