Wiki Posts
Search

RTW options (cash)

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2012, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by FB_
So who can get the most out of an ALL first class itinerary using all segments and stopovers and as close to 39,000 as possible?

If I had 3 months off work and $60K to blow on a trip I would be gone on one of these tomorrow.

I had put together a trip in First with 16 segments @ 38,920 for $25,000 However only 4 segments were actually in first (one SQ A380). So you might as well pay the $10,000 for the business version of the same trip. However my trip looked like some sketchy airlines. I'm sure someone here could plan the best planes, seats, lounges and experience. Would be curious to see what it would look like.

FB
I´m pretty sure the SQ F suites ("R class") cannot be included in RTW tickets, AFAIK SQ has started to open F booking class on some of those flights, but no A availability which is required for the RTW.

Anyways, maximizing the F experience probably is pretty easy, probably something like:

ZRH-JNB(LX F)-FRA(LH F A380)-US(LH F new 747 or 380)-NRT(NH F)-BKK(TG F 77W suites)-SIN(TG C)-Europe (SQ F).

total of 6 longhaul F segments.

You´d get to experience the LX FCL ZRH, LH FRA FCT, the TG FCL/Spa BKK and the SQ Private room SIN which are the four best *A lounge offerings out there.
Old May 10, 2012, 1:57 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
I´m pretty sure the SQ F suites ("R class") cannot be included in RTW tickets, AFAIK SQ has started to open F booking class on some of those flights, but no A availability which is required for the RTW.
SQ now has "A" availability on their A380 Suites and can be used for *A F RTW fares.

However, there is a surcharge per sector that is added to the fare. Depending on the flight sector, the surcharge can range from USD 700 to USD 2000.
Old May 10, 2012, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by daniellam
SQ now has "A" availability on their A380 Suites and can be used for *A F RTW fares.

However, there is a surcharge per sector that is added to the fare. Depending on the flight sector, the surcharge can range from USD 700 to USD 2000.
Thanks for the info. I stand corrected. I just had a look at the surcharges and they are completely ridiculous IMO. Then again if you´re willing to spend >$20k for a FRTW ticket I guess you don´t care about an extra $1k-$2k.
Old May 10, 2012, 2:22 pm
FB_

Programs: AP
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Thanks for the info. I stand corrected. I just had a look at the surcharges and they are completely ridiculous IMO. Then again if you´re willing to spend >$20k for a FRTW ticket I guess you don´t care about an extra $1k-$2k.
The flight I had picked did have a $1135.00 surcharge.
Old May 10, 2012, 2:44 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Going back to the original request, with only 2 stops an RTW is not very efficient.
If you were making greater use, them go ahead.
I would suggest buying a RTW originating in NRT, that is one of the cheapest
originating points.

I am in the midst of one right now ( FRTWSTAR1): NRT-TPE-SHA//HGH-ICN-HKG-SIN-CGK-SIN-BKK-CDG-FRA-YYZ-ORD-NRT.

I still have some mileage to burn on this, so if I have time to do a MR, I may change
YYZ-ORD to something like YYZ-LAX/SFO/MEX-ORD-NRT.

I've already used the TG spa ( 1 hour full-body massge) - but no more golf cart ride to the gate.

And I was in the FRA FCT last week - no more limo ride from the main terminal to the FCT-
they suggest that the new First Class lounges in the main termainal are equal to the FCT,
and no longer provide the ride. If you want to use the FCT, you have to walk!
Still get the limo from the FCT to the plane, though.
Old May 10, 2012, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Thank you for all your advice.

In light of this, I will probably do:
YYZ-WAW-YYZ (LO Z sales regularly 2200 CAD [on right now!])
WAW-IST-NRT-IST-WAW (TK Z @ 3300 CAD)
Old May 10, 2012, 3:43 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Going back to the original request, with only 2 stops an RTW is not very efficient.
If you were making greater use, them go ahead.
I would suggest buying a RTW originating in NRT, that is one of the cheapest
originating points.

I am in the midst of one right now ( FRTWSTAR1): NRT-TPE-SHA//HGH-ICN-HKG-SIN-CGK-SIN-BKK-CDG-FRA-YYZ-ORD-NRT.

I am starting to think about a RTW, and I was aware starting in Japan was a cheaper option than starting in Canada. Would appreciate any tips you have--did you book your trip on line (on Star Alliance website) or was it easier to use a travel agent. Roughly how much would you save starting in Japan vs Canada?

I found an internet site that showed the prices to start in various countries from least to most expensive. Seems to me Denmark was low in price as well, but I kind of like the idea of starting in Japan as I head there now and again.
Old May 10, 2012, 6:04 pm

RTW fares from Japan and ICN are very comparable. Booking on *A site seems to have problems with the backtracking so I use a TA. RTW still requires 4 stop overs ( not more than 5 in North America!!)and the 29,000 CStarRTW from either place will be between 6 and 8,000 dollars ( depends on the surcharges) Much cheaper than starting in Canada or US. BTW a Circle Pacific starting in Canada is about 2000 cheaper than starting in US
Old May 10, 2012, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by jlisi984
Thank you for all your advice.

In light of this, I will probably do:
YYZ-WAW-YYZ (LO Z sales regularly 2200 CAD [on right now!])
WAW-IST-NRT-IST-WAW (TK Z @ 3300 CAD)
I had great success with an RTW in J that originated in KEF.
I booked in fall of 2009 when Icelandic currency was a 'bit' soft!
Used the *A RTW tool and AC priced it out to 6K all in.
Still chuckle remembering the agent questioning why the start in KEF instead of YYZ. I told her to price it out using YYZ as origin and it topped out at over 10k ! FI got me from BOS to KEF for 300$ including the AC flt from YYZ.
Perhaps try to build some routes using the examples given already and see if the same strategy works...
Old May 10, 2012, 6:17 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by yerffej201
it' 5k for sq j rtw with like 500 bucks per long haul surcharge.
What I'm saying is that they are repricing right now. $7k all in no surcharges....and possibly working on F and R.
Old May 11, 2012, 7:19 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by mapleg
I am starting to think about a RTW, and I was aware starting in Japan was a cheaper option than starting in Canada. Would appreciate any tips you have--did you book your trip on line (on Star Alliance website) or was it easier to use a travel agent. Roughly how much would you save starting in Japan vs Canada?

I found an internet site that showed the prices to start in various countries from least to most expensive. Seems to me Denmark was low in price as well, but I kind of like the idea of starting in Japan as I head there now and again.
I select all my flights using KVS, then use a travel agent to issue ticket.
( I do so since much easier for him to make changes en route if necessary).

Today's fares from KVS, for XRTWSTAR1 ( Y/C/F)

ex NRT: 3994/7749/12430
ex YYZ: 5457/10449/16822

so you save 1500-4500 starting in NRT ( greater savings on XRTWSTAR2/3)
Old May 11, 2012, 8:00 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
I select all my flights using KVS, then use a travel agent to issue ticket.
( I do so since much easier for him to make changes en route if necessary).

Today's fares from KVS, for XRTWSTAR1 ( Y/C/F)

ex NRT: 3994/7749/12430
ex YYZ: 5457/10449/16822

so you save 1500-4500 starting in NRT ( greater savings on XRTWSTAR2/3)
Thanks for that info. Definitely saving this information for future reference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.