Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 12, 12, 4:50 pm   #1
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SEA
Programs: AS MVPG, UA Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, Avis Presidents
Posts: 1,159
UA AC NH options sea-nrt in j

They're all about the same $ though that's not much of an issue. Looking to maximize comfort/service and eqm. Options appear to be: (and yes, sea-sfo is on ua)

ua sea-nrt on 777-200 old style - i try to avoid this plane
ua sea-sfo-nrt on 747 - perfectly comfortable and happy to do it again
nh sea-sfo-nrt on 777-300 - never been on a longhaul japanese carrier
ac sea-yvr-nrt on 767-300 - never flown longhaul AC

any recommendations? there are also DL options but i'm more interested in *a status
brarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 12, 4:58 pm   #2
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 225
Not sure when you are travelling but NH SEA-NRT may be on new 787 in July or August 2012

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/all-n...-routes-2.html
onebagtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 12, 5:00 pm   #3
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SEA
Programs: AS MVPG, UA Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, Avis Presidents
Posts: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebagtraveller View Post
Not sure when you are travelling but NH SEA-NRT may be on new 787 in July or August 2012

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/all-n...-routes-2.html
yea, i wish it were later but this is for mid may travel
brarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 12, 5:29 pm   #4
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ORD
Programs: AA, UA, GE
Posts: 2,291
Personally, I would book NH. I think it is their new business product, "ANA BUSINESS STAGGERED". The same seat as on the 787.

https://www.ana.co.jp/wws/us/e/asw_c...ess_staggered/
cheltzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 12, 5:42 pm   #5
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SEA
Programs: AS MVPG, UA Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, Avis Presidents
Posts: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheltzel View Post
Personally, I would book NH. I think it is their new business product, "ANA BUSINESS STAGGERED". The same seat as on the 787.

https://www.ana.co.jp/wws/us/e/asw_c...ess_staggered/
Excellent, I didn't know that - i think that's what I'll do. However I can't seem to find the answer easily on .bomb - do NH flights qualify as lifetime miles? i know they earn eqm equally to that of flying ua, but it's not clear if they count towards lifetime.
brarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 12, 4:54 am   #6
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ORD
Programs: AA, UA, GE
Posts: 2,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by brarrr View Post
Excellent, I didn't know that - i think that's what I'll do. However I can't seem to find the answer easily on .bomb - do NH flights qualify as lifetime miles? i know they earn eqm equally to that of flying ua, but it's not clear if they count towards lifetime.
Lifetime UA flight miles are just that, lifetime UA BIS miles. Starting this year, it includes flights on COPA as well. There was a single adjustment of lifetime miles this March 3 due to differences between the way the legacy OnePass and legacy MP programs calculated lifetime miles.

You can read it for yourself:

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont.../lifetime.aspx
cheltzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 12, 8:11 am   #7
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SEA
Programs: AS MVPG, UA Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, Avis Presidents
Posts: 1,159
d'oh. well maybe i'll end up just taking the ua 747 as it's nearly the exact same time and that's 10k more bis..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheltzel View Post
Lifetime UA flight miles are just that, lifetime UA BIS miles. Starting this year, it includes flights on COPA as well. There was a single adjustment of lifetime miles this March 3 due to differences between the way the legacy OnePass and legacy MP programs calculated lifetime miles.

You can read it for yourself:

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont.../lifetime.aspx
brarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 12, 8:27 am   #8
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Switzerland
Programs: BA Gold, UA*G, Starwood Gold
Posts: 1,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by brarrr View Post
d'oh. well maybe i'll end up just taking the ua 747 as it's nearly the exact same time and that's 10k more bis..
Aside from the issue of BIS miles, I'd personally probably pick AC or NH over UA. AC has a good hard product and decent enough soft-product. NH has an excellent soft product and if you get the new biz seating, a very good hard product though if it's the old sloped seating, then UA's new seat is better.
Captain Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 12, 8:34 am   #9
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ORD
Programs: AA, UA, GE
Posts: 2,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt View Post
Aside from the issue of BIS miles, I'd personally probably pick AC or NH over UA. AC has a good hard product and decent enough soft-product. NH has an excellent soft product and if you get the new biz seating, a very good hard product though if it's the old sloped seating, then UA's new seat is better.
I did a dummy booking before responding and it looks like it woudl be the new seat.

And I agree with you that the UA flat C seat is superior to the legacy NH seat.
cheltzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 12, 8:44 am   #10
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Switzerland
Programs: BA Gold, UA*G, Starwood Gold
Posts: 1,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheltzel View Post
I did a dummy booking before responding and it looks like it woudl be the new seat.
In which case, I'd choose NH.
Captain Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 12, 9:34 am   #11
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 8,264
If you don't mind a little backtracking, OZ has great comfort/service via ICN.
izzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 12, 10:12 am   #12
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SEA
Programs: AS MVPG, UA Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, Avis Presidents
Posts: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzik View Post
If you don't mind a little backtracking, OZ has great comfort/service via ICN.
i don't mind backtracking, but i consider OZ the USAir of asian carriers - have never been impressed with their j product - though the one time i flew coach i thought they did an excellent job (hnd-gmp - though i think it was >$1k so maybe not the best value)
brarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 12, 12:32 pm   #13
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SEA
Programs: AA EXP and OZ Gold
Posts: 1,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt View Post
In which case, I'd choose NH.
+1 especially if it's on the 77W.
Jimgotkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 12, 2:38 pm   #14
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ORD
Programs: AA, UA, GE
Posts: 2,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by brarrr View Post
i don't mind backtracking, but i consider OZ the USAir of asian carriers - have never been impressed with their j product - though the one time i flew coach i thought they did an excellent job (hnd-gmp - though i think it was >$1k so maybe not the best value)
I believe the SEA-ICN service is a 333 with the legacy business seat. If you wanted the new OZ seat (similar to the new NH seat), you would have to go SEA-SFO-ICN-NRT.

I've only flown OZ in business twice, but I was impressed with the soft product. I flew the older business seat and was not impressed with the seat at all.
cheltzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 12, 3:33 pm   #15
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SEA
Programs: AS MVPG, UA Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, Avis Presidents
Posts: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheltzel View Post
I believe the SEA-ICN service is a 333 with the legacy business seat. If you wanted the new OZ seat (similar to the new NH seat), you would have to go SEA-SFO-ICN-NRT.

I've only flown OZ in business twice, but I was impressed with the soft product. I flew the older business seat and was not impressed with the seat at all.
yea they occasionally swap in the new biz seat but the old one is not much better than the ua 777 legacy seats. they'll also sometimes swap in a oz 777 but that's rare.
brarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 7:59 pm.