Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

UA AC NH options sea-nrt in j

Old Apr 12, 2012, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, UA zilch, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidents

They're all about the same $ though that's not much of an issue. Looking to maximize comfort/service and eqm. Options appear to be: (and yes, sea-sfo is on ua)

ua sea-nrt on 777-200 old style - i try to avoid this plane
ua sea-sfo-nrt on 747 - perfectly comfortable and happy to do it again
nh sea-sfo-nrt on 777-300 - never been on a longhaul japanese carrier
ac sea-yvr-nrt on 767-300 - never flown longhaul AC

any recommendations? there are also DL options but i'm more interested in *a status
Old Apr 12, 2012, 4:58 pm

Not sure when you are travelling but NH SEA-NRT may be on new 787 in July or August 2012

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/all-n...-routes-2.html
Old Apr 12, 2012, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, UA zilch, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidents
Originally Posted by onebagtraveller
Not sure when you are travelling but NH SEA-NRT may be on new 787 in July or August 2012

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/all-n...-routes-2.html
yea, i wish it were later but this is for mid may travel
Old Apr 12, 2012, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Personally, I would book NH. I think it is their new business product, "ANA BUSINESS STAGGERED". The same seat as on the 787.

https://www.ana.co.jp/wws/us/e/asw_c...ess_staggered/
Old Apr 12, 2012, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cheltzel
Personally, I would book NH. I think it is their new business product, "ANA BUSINESS STAGGERED". The same seat as on the 787.

https://www.ana.co.jp/wws/us/e/asw_c...ess_staggered/
Excellent, I didn't know that - i think that's what I'll do. However I can't seem to find the answer easily on .bomb - do NH flights qualify as lifetime miles? i know they earn eqm equally to that of flying ua, but it's not clear if they count towards lifetime.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by brarrr
Excellent, I didn't know that - i think that's what I'll do. However I can't seem to find the answer easily on .bomb - do NH flights qualify as lifetime miles? i know they earn eqm equally to that of flying ua, but it's not clear if they count towards lifetime.
Lifetime UA flight miles are just that, lifetime UA BIS miles. Starting this year, it includes flights on COPA as well. There was a single adjustment of lifetime miles this March 3 due to differences between the way the legacy OnePass and legacy MP programs calculated lifetime miles.

You can read it for yourself:

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont.../lifetime.aspx
Old Apr 13, 2012, 8:11 am
Original Poster

d'oh. well maybe i'll end up just taking the ua 747 as it's nearly the exact same time and that's 10k more bis..

Lifetime UA flight miles are just that, lifetime UA BIS miles. Starting this year, it includes flights on COPA as well. There was a single adjustment of lifetime miles this March 3 due to differences between the way the legacy OnePass and legacy MP programs calculated lifetime miles.

You can read it for yourself:

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont.../lifetime.aspx
Old Apr 13, 2012, 8:27 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
d'oh. well maybe i'll end up just taking the ua 747 as it's nearly the exact same time and that's 10k more bis..
Aside from the issue of BIS miles, I'd personally probably pick AC or NH over UA. AC has a good hard product and decent enough soft-product. NH has an excellent soft product and if you get the new biz seating, a very good hard product though if it's the old sloped seating, then UA's new seat is better.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt
Aside from the issue of BIS miles, I'd personally probably pick AC or NH over UA. AC has a good hard product and decent enough soft-product. NH has an excellent soft product and if you get the new biz seating, a very good hard product though if it's the old sloped seating, then UA's new seat is better.
I did a dummy booking before responding and it looks like it woudl be the new seat.

And I agree with you that the UA flat C seat is superior to the legacy NH seat.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 8:44 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
I did a dummy booking before responding and it looks like it woudl be the new seat.
In which case, I'd choose NH.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 9:34 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

If you don't mind a little backtracking, OZ has great comfort/service via ICN.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by izzik
If you don't mind a little backtracking, OZ has great comfort/service via ICN.
i don't mind backtracking, but i consider OZ the USAir of asian carriers - have never been impressed with their j product - though the one time i flew coach i thought they did an excellent job (hnd-gmp - though i think it was >$1k so maybe not the best value)
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:32 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt
In which case, I'd choose NH.
+1 especially if it's on the 77W.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 2:38 pm

i don't mind backtracking, but i consider OZ the USAir of asian carriers - have never been impressed with their j product - though the one time i flew coach i thought they did an excellent job (hnd-gmp - though i think it was >$1k so maybe not the best value)
I believe the SEA-ICN service is a 333 with the legacy business seat. If you wanted the new OZ seat (similar to the new NH seat), you would have to go SEA-SFO-ICN-NRT.

I've only flown OZ in business twice, but I was impressed with the soft product. I flew the older business seat and was not impressed with the seat at all.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

I believe the SEA-ICN service is a 333 with the legacy business seat. If you wanted the new OZ seat (similar to the new NH seat), you would have to go SEA-SFO-ICN-NRT.

I've only flown OZ in business twice, but I was impressed with the soft product. I flew the older business seat and was not impressed with the seat at all.
yea they occasionally swap in the new biz seat but the old one is not much better than the ua 777 legacy seats. they'll also sometimes swap in a oz 777 but that's rare.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.