Search

HKG F Lounge: SQ SKL vs TG

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:32 am
Suspended
Original Poster

HKG F Lounge: SQ SKL vs TG

Hi,

I heard that the SKL in HKG used to be quite mediocre in the past. However ever since the rennovations took place a few years ago, I heard there has been much improvements though I have not experienced it myself ever since. Thus I'm wondering for F lounges in HKG, is it worth going to the SKL or should I stick to the TG lounge? Thanks!
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:06 pm

Programs: nobody
There is no F lounge in SKL, only TG and UA has it in HKG
Old Jan 27, 2012, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
There is a UA IFLounge or TG IFCorner.

It depends on personal preference, which time of the day you ll be there, etc.

Dont worry about the UA IFL - it really is nothing like a typical United lounge. I actually enjoyed it more than the TG IFCorner in their main lounge.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 8:43 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
HKG lounge situation on *A is one reason I prefer one world ex-HKG.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA Gold, IHG & Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
SQ's lounge is darker than TG's, so if you're trying to get your biological clock adjusted a certain way that might be a factor.

I liked the TG lounge's food a bit better, but SQ's lounge has good ice cream if you want that.

HKG is a big airport, and the lounges are pretty well separated. So location may be a factor.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 6:51 am

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
In fact the TG lounge was also 'upgraded' in July/August last year, with better catering & new seating.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 7:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC the SQ lounge at HKG has some sections signposted as FC, but they look exactly the same and seem to use the same food buffets and same newspaper and magazine selection. If the lounge is crowded, having the reserved section could be an advantage.

However the entire lounge is disappointing, very bland and nondescript with neutral beige and brown colors and low ceilings. To me, it seems cavelike.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 12:06 pm
Suspended

Does the TG F lounge in HKG have shower facilities? The TG website says it doesn't but the *A website says it does. Can someone confirm?
Old Jan 29, 2012, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by StarFeat
Does the TG F lounge in HKG have shower facilities? The TG website says it doesn't but the *A website says it does. Can someone confirm?
Dont know, but the UA F one sure does. You can always visit both - they are really close to each other.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 12:27 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
The lounge has showers, but they are in the business class section near the restrooms. (If there's a secret shower in the F section that I haven't found, someone please correct me.)
Old Jan 30, 2012, 2:29 am

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
For sure there are showers in the TG lounge, not sure if there are any exclusive to the F section though.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by toyotaboy95
For sure there are showers in the TG lounge, not sure if there are any exclusive to the F section though.
They have showers in the shared restrooms for F and C. They are just seperate shower stalls. The UA F lounge has 2 shower rooms which are much nicer.

Food offering in UA F and TG F is actually quite similar, it seems they use the same catering company. For taking a shower and having some privacy/ability to work the UA F lounge is better. For watching people, killing some time etc the TG F lounge is nicer.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Thank's again FT for the great help. ^

I will now visit both TG and UA on my frist trip through HKG in a few months.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
The HKG UC/IFL are my favourite *A lounges in HKG. They're no Wing/Pier but they're really an international-class lounge and put the UCs in the system to shame (rather, the rest of the system puts itself to shame bar perhaps NRT and GRU). The IFL section is sort of "hidden" unlike the TG F section which is pretty much just roped off. Other than a few differences (e.g. Thai curry in TG lounge) they are the same quality food-wise and there's little difference in amenities either. The UA lounge has better showers imo and a better view but the TG lounge has massage chairs. I was at the UC yesterday (on a TG flight )and the food was the best I've seen in a while. There was scalloped potatoes, some sort of creamy chicken w/ vegetables, a simple spaghetti and the usual mini-spring rolls, samosas, fried dumplings, etc. They have Carlsberg and Tsingtao in the fridge, something I wish was available at every UC in the world.

The SKL is in such an inconvenient location for most *A flights I usually don't even consider it. Food is pretty good but if you're in C/F it's likely you'll be well-fed on the flight anyway...
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:09 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I also personally like the UA RCC over the TG lounge. I think it is the nicest in the system.

THe SKL is dark and quiet but perhaps that is what you are looking for. Each have their own advantages.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.