Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2012, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Spanair is shutting down

just announced...

IN SPANISH:

http://www.preferente.com/transporte...at-179826.html

I would start calling the ticketing carrier if you have upcoming travel on JK.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 9:47 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Oh dear, another triumph for the business geniuses at SAS. The link seems to say that JK is closing down with immediate effect - although their website seems to be business as usual. Obviously a pain in the neck for people with booked flights, and above all a tragedy for the employees not least given Spain's already dire unemployment rate. They don't fly to the UK so the absence of their network won't make any difference to me, but I do have flights booked to and from Spain with LX next week so I guess I'll be noticing a sudden gaping hole in the *A lounge network! Don't remember if JK was also the handling agents for the other *A carriers - that could be messy!
Old Jan 27, 2012, 9:53 am

Any other confirmed sources? Doesn't seem to be posted anywhere but the link you've provided.

The only other latest news I can find is

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8CR21K20120127

El País

http://ccaa.elpais.com/ccaa/2012/01/...57_912827.html

Last edited by evanderm; Jan 27, 2012 at 11:14 am
Old Jan 27, 2012, 1:16 pm

Bugger, got a booking with them next week. Time to look for other options. Commiserations to all staff.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 1:20 pm

Programs: QF, UA, DL, AB
Very sad news, especially for all employees in Spain that will lose their job in a terrible economic environment. Hope they find a way out of this mess. It touched a lot of people here in Switzerland 10 years ago at SR and wasn't funny at all.

I hope somebody can provide some help with this: I have a JK ticket for ZRH-BCN-ZRH next March. The ticket was bought on Expedia, JK is the issuing carrier (680 ticket number) and JK flight numbers were booked, although the flight is operated by LX. What will happen to my ticket? Do you know if I have any chance of being protected by LX?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 1:35 pm

It would be very sad for the staff indeed! I've only flown with Spanair twice, and found the staff to be most friendly and helpful.

Commiserations!
Old Jan 27, 2012, 1:51 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Flight operations have ceased as of 2200 GMT+1 tonight. Booked pax are being given refunds. A few have been successful in being rebooked on other airlines.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 3:00 pm

Programs: QF, UA, DL, AB
Found this on spanair.com, may be useful for those who are sitting on a JK ticket:

Comunicado de Spanair a sus clientes

- Spanair informa de que en el día hoy 27 de enero de 2012, la compańía aérea ha cesado sus operaciones y, por consiguiente, dadas estas excepcionales circunstancias todos nuestros vuelos a partir de hoy quedan cancelados.

- En caso de que usted haya adquirido un billete con Spanair para los próximos días o semanas, tiene diversas alternativas:

a- Si pagó el billete con una tarjeta de crédito, infórmese en su entidad financiera sobre las posibilidades de reembolso.

b- Si usted contrató el seguro de cancelación, contacte con su entidad aseguradora para informarse de su cobertura.

c- Si compró su billete en una agencia de viajes, infórmese en la misma.

d- Si dispone de un billete comprado en Spanair pero operado por otra aerolínea, en principio, su vuelo está garantizado. Le rogamos confirmen su vuelo con la aerolínea correspondiente.

e- Spanair, en coordinación con la Generalitat, ha llegado a un acuerdo, con Vueling, Iberia y Air Europa para que aquellos pasajeros que compren su billete y vuelen en los próximos tres días tengan una tarifa especial.

El precio de los billetes, según el destino será el siguiente:

- Vuelos domésticos e islas baleares: 60 euros.

- Vuelos a las Islas Canarias: 90 euros

- Vuelos Internacionales: 100 euros

f- En cualquier otro caso y para reclamar el reembolso del importe de su billete, puede interponer la correspondiente reclamación por cualquiera de los siguientes canales:

· Oficinas de ventas de Spanair

· Mostradores de AENA ubicados en los correspondientes aeropuertos.

· Oficinas de turismo de los correspondientes aeropuertos.

· Agencia Catalana de Consum

- Spanair está en permanente contacto con las autoridades aeronáuticas espańolas y los aeropuertos donde la compańía opera sus vuelos para hacer frente a esta situación.

- Tanto el Spanair Center (900.13.14.15 – desde fuera de Espańa +34 971 916 047) como nuestras Oficinas de Ventas en los aeropuertos permanecerán abiertas para atenderle.

- Para disponer de información actualizada, le rogamos consulten nuestra página web www.spanair.com

- Spanair pide disculpas públicas a todas aquellas personas que se han visto afectadas.

Barcelona a 27 de enero de 2012
Basically:
- if you used a credit card, contact the card issuer to enquire about refunds
- if you have travel insurance, contact the insurance
- if you ticketed via a TA, contact this latter
- if you bought your ticket via JK but the flight is operated by another carrier, the flight should be confirmed; you should contact the operating carrier
- JK has an agreement with IB, VY and UX valid for the next three days; JK passengers can use the services of the other airlines by paying an amount between 60-100 EUR
- in all other cases, passngers are requested to file a refund claim with Spanair itself or three other government agencies
Old Jan 27, 2012, 3:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold - A3 Gold - FB Gold - IHG Plat - SPG Gold -Hyatt Platinum
Man, this happened way to fast.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 3:44 pm

And the CEO has been offered a job as chief executive of Manchester City

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...n-Soriano.html
Old Jan 27, 2012, 3:51 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Finally. This was a long, slow death. Really bad for the employees who were quite good (at least the front-line ones). The airline was poorly managed, with an old fleet. Great opportunity for TP or LH to jump into the Iberian market. If TP is sold later this year to IB+BA, this will be a huge hole in the *A European network.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 3:57 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm sorry to see them go. I never got to fly on them, but I seem to be about the only FTer who liked their lounge at BCN. I was supposed to fly them in April of 2010 but the European Volcano changed that. I hope the employees who are now out of work do not stay so for long.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 4:07 pm

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
Originally Posted by Palal
The airline was poorly managed, with an old fleet. Great opportunity for TP or LH to jump into the Iberian market. If TP is sold later this year to IB+BA, this will be a huge hole in the *A European network.
+1 except for the fleet. It was not that old. But the MD's are gas guzzlers.
The biggest issue was not going early enough for Long haul (same as TAP but for Spanish speaking Americas).
And they became squeezed at home by LCC's.

Can we now have the SQ flight going to Lisbon, Porto ideally, instead of BCN please

GBM
Old Jan 27, 2012, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
The www.staralliance.com homepage has been replaced with a page with a statement about Spanair. It links to www.staralliance.com for further contact information, which, if you click it, immediately takes you back to the same Spanair announcement page. Genius!
Old Jan 27, 2012, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by Palal
Finally. This was a long, slow death. Really bad for the employees who were quite good (at least the front-line ones). The airline was poorly managed, with an old fleet. Great opportunity for TP or LH to jump into the Iberian market. If TP is sold later this year to IB+BA, this will be a huge hole in the *A European network.
i.e. a typical Spanish airline

really, how many airlines in the garlic-belt are well-managed?
bankruptcy and reconstruction is the way forward.
not only for airlines...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.