Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

*A Non-Schengen lounges in FRA/DUS/ZRH/GVA/MUC/VIE question.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

*A Non-Schengen lounges in FRA/DUS/ZRH/GVA/MUC/VIE question.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2011, 4:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qatar Gold, Asiana Club Diamond, THAI silver
Post *A Non-Schengen lounges in FRA/DUS/ZRH/GVA/MUC/VIE question.

Hi all, this is my first ever thread on flyertalk.com so please guide me if I do something inappropiate e.g post topic under wrong category.

I'm currently Asiana Diamond Member = *A Gold. and I will be traveling these routes in the upcoming months. All planned in Economy class at the moment. I'd like to know from insiders like you guys about the area of *A lounges.

The thing is I'm holding Thai passport and I'll need Schegen visa to enter Schengen area. If lounges in the following airports (where I will make a few hours transfer) are located before immigration area or located in intra-Schegen departure area, I won't be able to visit. So I'd hope that all of these airports offer *A Gold lounges in non-schengen areas, after immigration counters.

I'll be flying

1.Moscow DME - Frankfurt - Newark , LH/CO
2.Newark - Dusseldorf - DME , LH/LH
3.DME - ZRH - JFK , LX/LX
4.EWR - GVA - DME , CO/LX
5.DME - MUC - EWR , LH/CO
6.JFK - VIE - DME , OS/OS

Not to forget, are there any *A gold lounges in DME?
It will be my first time in Russia / DME airport. I'll have to do some work in Moscow before heading to NYC, that is the reason why all my US trip starts from Moscow. Anyhow, it's very reasonable to me as Thai passport holders don't need visa to enter Russia.

Hope to hear from you guys soon.
Many thanks in advance.
Brgds,
flyvirgin
Old Aug 5, 2011, 5:36 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flyvirgin
I'm currently Asiana Diamond Member = *A Gold. and I will be traveling these routes in the upcoming months. All planned in Economy class at the moment. I'd like to know from insiders like you guys about the area of *A lounges.

The thing is I'm holding Thai passport and I'll need Schegen visa to enter Schengen area. If lounges in the following airports (where I will make a few hours transfer) are located before immigration area or located in intra-Schegen departure area, I won't be able to visit. So I'd hope that all of these airports offer *A Gold lounges in non-schengen areas, after immigration counters.

I'll be flying

1.Moscow DME - Frankfurt - Newark , LH/CO
2.Newark - Dusseldorf - DME , LH/LH
3.DME - ZRH - JFK , LX/LX
4.EWR - GVA - DME , CO/LX
5.DME - MUC - EWR , LH/CO
6.JFK - VIE - DME , OS/OS
Welcome to FT, flyvirgin!

I can't answer all your questions but those I can are:

Frankfurt : non-Schengen Senator lounges in B & C concourses, combined non-Schengen Senator/Business lounge in A concourse (Tower Lounge) - go to one nearest to your departure gate
Dusseldorf : AFAIK the only lounges are in Schengen
Zurich : Panorama Lounge in Dock E (non-Schengen)
Munich : non-Schengen lounges are closed for refurbishment until September
Vienna : non-Schengen Senator lounge near Gates D

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Aug 5, 2011 at 12:42 pm
Old Aug 5, 2011, 8:41 am

Programs: LH SEN/*G; OK+ Gold/ST Elite+; HHonors Gold; PriorityClub Platinium; GoldPointsPlus Silver
Not to forget, are there any *A gold lounges in DME?
In DME there are actually separate *G lounges for sure for Austrian and Lufthansa (not sure about Swiss), so providing you will travel on one of them you shall get into without any problem... you can use lounge finder on your chosen airline's web-page.

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Vienna : non-Schengen Senator lounge
In Vienna there is (used to be?) also business lounge in pier A, in the same place where Senator lounge is, but upstairs.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Many thanks to NewbieRunner.

Just wonder if Panorama lounge in ZRH dock E serves *A Gold too?
Last time I was there, MAY 2010, I didn't see the *Gold sign. Or maybe I just miss it out?
And is it as good as the lounge in main terminal (which is Schengen?)?

I'll be in MUC during November, hope non-Schengen lounge is ready by then!

Thank you once again.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Alekwo, many thanks to you too.

Oh ok, I'll have a few flights with OS/LH. Should check with the agent if I fly other star carriers as I'll be frequent on THAI DME-BKK.

Brgds
flyvirgin
Old Aug 5, 2011, 9:35 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Just wonder if Panorama lounge in ZRH dock E serves *A Gold too?
Last time I was there, MAY 2010, I didn't see the *Gold sign. Or maybe I just miss it out?
And is it as good as the lounge in main terminal (which is Schengen?)?
Despite going through ZRH Dock E a few times recently I've never made it to the Panorama lounge because I usually don't have the time due to late arrivals of incoming flights. So I'm afraid I can't answer your question. LX keeps very quiet about the Panorama lounge despite not having a lounge of their own in Dock E. The non-Schengen lounges in B are also closed for refurbishment until the beginning of December.

BTW you can also use the LH Senator Lounge in JFK which is very nice. ^

Non-Schengen lounges in VIE are by the D gates.
http://www.austrian.com/Info/AtTheAi..._lang=en&cc=US
Old Aug 7, 2011, 2:29 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by alekwo
In DME there are actually separate *G lounges for sure for Austrian and Lufthansa (not sure about Swiss), so providing you will travel on one of them you shall get into without any problem... you can use lounge finder on your chosen airline's web-page.
There is an LX lounge as well. The DME lounges are rather strange. They're really contract lounges run by the owner of the airport, Eastline, although they're each branded with a specific *A airline. I've never had any problem accessing the lounge of the airline I'm flying on, even when flying Y, as a *G. However, none of the lounges are true *G lounges, and I have heard of people having access issues when trying to go into a lounge different from the one that is operating their flight (i.e. Trying to go into the OS lounge when flying LH).

Since you're always flying out of DME on LH, OS, or LX, just go to that airlines lounge and you should be fine.

TG and SQ both use contract lounges at DME and I am not sure about access for *G. I'm also not sure about UA.

Last edited by dcmike; Aug 8, 2011 at 2:15 am
Old Aug 7, 2011, 10:02 am
Original Poster

dcmike, thanks a lot about the info on Swiss, Lufthansa and Austrian lounges.
I will also inform you later with my experience on flying with THAI and United out of DME.
I just hope my company put me in Business class to ease everything up!

Well, STAR should have invested at DME to make their presence/give importance in/for their Russia market!! Maybe when SAS, TK and LO move to DME?

Many thanks again.
flyvirgin
Old Aug 7, 2011, 10:24 am

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
Originally Posted by dcmike
TG and SQ both use contract lounges at DME and I am not sure about access for *G. I'm also not sure about UA.
UA uses OS lounge in DME; I don't have experience flying them in Y; but I don't think there will be any issues accessing it with a *G card on hand.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 1:23 am
Original Poster

BTW you can also use the LH Senator Lounge in JFK which is very nice. ^
I'm looking forward to it. I might fly Austrian out of Terminal 1 JFK, I guess my star gold is valid to enter LH Senator lounge there

How is it compare to CO President Club at EWR? Which one is better in your opinion?

Brgds,
flyvirgin
Old Aug 8, 2011, 5:49 am

I'm looking forward to it. I might fly Austrian out of Terminal 1 JFK, I guess my star gold is valid to enter LH Senator lounge there

How is it compare to CO President Club at EWR? Which one is better in your opinion?
Yes, Austrian flies out of the same terminal as LH, so you should have access to the Senator Lounge (2nd level) as *G.

I've never been to CO President Club at EWR but the SEN lounge in JFK is considered to be one of the best (if not the best) SEN lounges around.

http://www.jaunted.com/story/2009/2/...+Levels+of+Win
Old Aug 8, 2011, 8:15 am

Programs: *G on Voyager & Thai
While at Munich the non-Schengen lounges are currently closed for refurbishment until September (at level 5), the Schengen lounge downstairs (level 4) is open and can be used by non-Schengen passengers. It is after security and before immigration.

However, Munich is such a great airport that I have a much better option. Go to the lounge and leave your carry-on bags there, then go OUTSIDE between the two terminals and enjoy the really great and big beer garden or the crazy plane/bratwurst/beer stand, all in the open but covered over so the rain doesn't affect you. You'll have to come back through security, but with your bags inside it is no big deal.

What a great pleasure to get out of the air-conditioned areas and into the big open space. Unique in my experience at airports, and well worth the effort.

Last edited by overrun; Aug 8, 2011 at 12:05 pm Reason: Location details
Old Aug 8, 2011, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

I've never been to CO President Club at EWR but the SEN lounge in JFK is considered to be one of the best (if not the best) SEN lounges around.

http://www.jaunted.com/story/2009/2/...+Levels+of+Win
Many thanks for the info and the link. The LH Senator lounge in JFK T1 looks so promising!! I'll defo pay a visit

Originally Posted by overrun
However, Munich is such a great airport that I have a much better option. Go to the lounge and leave your carry-on bags there, then go OUTSIDE between the two terminals and enjoy the really great and big beer garden or the crazy plane/bratwurst/beer stand, all in the open but covered over so the rain doesn't affect you. You'll have to come back through security, but with your bags inside it is no big deal.
Thank you.
Yep, I transit at MUC a few times and I really admire the atmosphere of the area between 2 terminals. What an idea. I was there when it was 5c though lol

However, holding THAI passport mean you need Schengen visa to enter Schengen area. And I won't have it with me as I'll fly into MUC from DME onward to NYC which considered non-Schengen to non-Schengen!

Last edited by flyvirgin; Aug 8, 2011 at 12:44 pm Reason: Colored.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

After almost a year, I'd like to update the status of my own questions, sound crazy but maybe it will be useful for ya all!

1.Moscow DME - LH lounge is actually star alliance gold lounge with the sign of STAR Gold, so all pax holding any *G card flying with any Star carrier (THAI, SQ, UA etc.) are welcome to enter. Lounge is 24 Hours, very nice and spacey with friendly staff plus view of tarmac. I was there early morning when there were light snow, awesome experience.
LX lougne is not a *G lounge. Didn't try OS as stupidly walked passby.

Tower lounge in the morning is full of American pax flying to the USA. Millions of people in lounge, no seats to sit, food refill is timely done, but still, it was just too much people esp. UA pax. Though the view is amazing but honestly, I hate this lounge's atmosphere.

2.EWR, nothing new, President club turns United club, okay staff but not really in the mood when passing by all those TSA procedure. Not fun....

DUS - Sadly, LH lounge is in Schengen area, which is before immigration, as I don't have Schengen visa with me, not lounging!!!

3.ZRH - Tight connection, Panaroma didn't show any sign of STAR gold. Didn't try. Will find a chance to try out and let you all know again.

4.GVA - Haven't try this connection yet but will be back in GVA for holiday (having Schegen visa!!) will update.

5.MUC - Was there early this year, non-schengen lounge is new! LH standard, but didn't get out of airport as ....once again....Schengen visa is required.

6.JFK - Senator floor, absolutely one of the best LH senator lounge. Duval Leroy Champagne and a proper bar! Everything is free! Do&Co catering, shower and restrooms inside with view of T1! Love this lounge, wanted to go back again! I had about 3 glasses of champagne and got a bit drunk!!

7.VIE - Didn't passby the new terminal yet. Will update once have the chance. Should be amazing with Do&Co catering etc!

Seriously, each Schengen visa cost EUR 60 per entry plus insurance plus fees etc....
I don't want to pay EUR 100 just to be able to visit those lounges, that is almost a price of a bottle of non-vintage DOM Perigon!

Thanks guys.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 6:11 pm

I'm sorry. My brain is not functioning. Traveling IAD->FRA->ZRH on UA/LH in C. I'll be looking for a Schengen lounge at FRA, correct, because I am traveling between Schengen countries? Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.