Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

OZ F or NH F, ICN/NRT to JFK

Old Jun 6, 2011, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, BR, GA, EK, VX, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IC

So I've been rather wondering about this matter for a while now..

Given that I'm doing an RTW and wanted to try both products so much, I have to do something else and have to decide between the two.

OZ F seems very nice, from TRs I come to expect a high level of service, with one downside, OZ tends to change their A/C last minute..

OTOH, NH F just came recently to mind, and I won't mind trying the new F either..

I'm looking for opinions, comments, and experiences for me to compare and eventually choose one.

Thank you so much!
Old Jun 7, 2011, 1:47 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Considering that OZ only flies a 3-cabin aircraft so select locations, I wouldn't worry much about the aircraft change to/from JFK. NH F is very hard for a RTW itinerary btw if it's award travel.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, BR, GA, EK, VX, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IC
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Considering that OZ only flies a 3-cabin aircraft so select locations, I wouldn't worry much about the aircraft change to/from JFK. NH F is very hard for a RTW itinerary btw if it's award travel.
It is paid travel.. I just don't know which one to choose between the 2. I want to try them both..
Old Jun 7, 2011, 5:15 pm

I did a few F flights both on Asiana and ANA between Asia and LAX. Both airlines are fairly similar in terms of food/service/lounges. Even the older style seats on ANA are good.
I would take whatever has the best schedule. Sometimes it is difficult to get seats in A (paid RTW F), you need to waitlist and it usually clears fairly quickly).
Old Jun 7, 2011, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Unterwegs
I did a few F flights both on Asiana and ANA between Asia and LAX. Both airlines are fairly similar in terms of food/service/lounges. Even the older style seats on ANA are good.
I would take whatever has the best schedule. Sometimes it is difficult to get seats in A (paid RTW F), you need to waitlist and it usually clears fairly quickly).
^ Thank you! Schedule-wise either is fine with me. If you have a preference on either one, which one would it be? I'm booking my RTW now and ticketing it by the end of the month for travel next year, so hopefully the seats will open up..
Old Jun 7, 2011, 9:49 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Imo oz f> nh f
Old Jun 8, 2011, 12:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Imo oz f> nh f
Got it, thanks!

0-1 OZ!
Old Jun 8, 2011, 7:43 am

It depends where you are coming from. You can find a real nice F on one of the TG BKK-NRT flights (not sure how long they will have the Jet Airways 777 on that route) which connects nicely to some of the US bound flights in NRT.

From some other destinations there are typically more flights with the long-haul business class to NRT than to ICN. Better to spend a few hours in one of these seats than in a regional C.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Unterwegs
It depends where you are coming from. You can find a real nice F on one of the TG BKK-NRT flights (not sure how long they will have the Jet Airways 777 on that route) which connects nicely to some of the US bound flights in NRT.

From some other destinations there are typically more flights with the long-haul business class to NRT than to ICN. Better to spend a few hours in one of these seats than in a regional C.
There are 2x F service to NRT from BKK. OTOH, its mostly J to ICN. Unless I use BKK-NRT-ICN which might have UA F..
Old Jun 8, 2011, 10:36 pm

The bad thing about OZ for you right now is the F lounge at ICN. Since OZ doesn't fly anywhere in Asia with a 3-cabin aircraft (in terms of selling seats), the ability to use the F lounge at ICN is tough. However, there are accounts of people getting admitted with an arrival F BP stub on OZ metal..

How about a flight from Europe like LHR to ICN via OZ then F to BKK then F to NRT then F to wherever NH flies F...
Old Jun 8, 2011, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

The bad thing about OZ for you right now is the F lounge at ICN. Since OZ doesn't fly anywhere in Asia with a 3-cabin aircraft (in terms of selling seats), the ability to use the F lounge at ICN is tough. However, there are accounts of people getting admitted with an arrival F BP stub on OZ metal..

How about a flight from Europe like LHR to ICN via OZ then F to BKK then F to NRT then F to wherever NH flies F...
I have a FRA-SIN leg that I can't miss on the old 744.. That's why I can only choose 1..
Old Jun 9, 2011, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by General_Flyer
I have a FRA-SIN leg that I can't miss on the old 744.. That's why I can only choose 1..
Ah.. That really does stink! Looks like it will be up to you! Just figure out the longest segment w/ F that works for your RTW itinerary and do that then... Might as well maximize your F award by having a long flight to sip that Dom Perignon! (which OZ doesn't offer nor do they serve Krug)
Old Jun 9, 2011, 6:02 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Having tried both OZ and NH F (on award tickets) I'd lean towards NH for being more exclusive and very, well, Japanese. Asiana was delightful and the service and approach was closer to SQ - a more personal service with a little less rigour. The NH staff were supremly professional and polite, as you'd expect from Japan. I also loved the food on NH - you have your meal then they will serve you, very tasty, snacks and drink for the whole flight on request and with a smile - I was suffering from some jet lag and ended up staying awake for the first 6 hours of a flight from Europe to Japan and truely pigged out - The food was delicious and it was good fun whilst watching a movie and drinking plum wine to nibble. I might point out a Japanese breakfast isn't to everyone's tastes.

The lounges for both aren't anything special imho (compared to some other carrirs like TG or LH that have invested in ground services) and shouldn't be a consideration. Also, have you considered which plane you might prefer - I believe Asiana still only offers F on the 747 (so you get to be in the nose) whereas NH use 77Ws so you are behind the pilots, though based on flying out on a 747 you might prefer a change.

Maybe the other quesiton you should really be asking is - would you prefer to visit Seoul or Tokyo? Both cities are very nice and have a lot to do but since the airlines are both very good quality there isn't much between it as both are excellent it might be something to consider.

Final point - with the new NH F suites (enclosed and called the square or similar) the experience will be more personal and is a "next generation" of First class whereas the Asiana seats are still just that, seats rather than suites. If you're by yourself NH would be better, if with someone else Asiana may actually work out better as you'd be able to see your companion.

I'd go for NH personally.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Ah.. That really does stink! Looks like it will be up to you! Just figure out the longest segment w/ F that works for your RTW itinerary and do that then... Might as well maximize your F award by having a long flight to sip that Dom Perignon! (which OZ doesn't offer nor do they serve Krug)
Hmm.. I'm now really leaning on NH.. Especially if I'm going to visit my friend in KIX..

Originally Posted by littlevoices
Having tried both OZ and NH F (on award tickets) I'd lean towards NH for being more exclusive and very, well, Japanese. Asiana was delightful and the service and approach was closer to SQ - a more personal service with a little less rigour. The NH staff were supremly professional and polite, as you'd expect from Japan. I also loved the food on NH - you have your meal then they will serve you, very tasty, snacks and drink for the whole flight on request and with a smile - I was suffering from some jet lag and ended up staying awake for the first 6 hours of a flight from Europe to Japan and truely pigged out - The food was delicious and it was good fun whilst watching a movie and drinking plum wine to nibble. I might point out a Japanese breakfast isn't to everyone's tastes.

The lounges for both aren't anything special imho (compared to some other carrirs like TG or LH that have invested in ground services) and shouldn't be a consideration. Also, have you considered which plane you might prefer - I believe Asiana still only offers F on the 747 (so you get to be in the nose) whereas NH use 77Ws so you are behind the pilots, though based on flying out on a 747 you might prefer a change.

Maybe the other quesiton you should really be asking is - would you prefer to visit Seoul or Tokyo? Both cities are very nice and have a lot to do but since the airlines are both very good quality there isn't much between it as both are excellent it might be something to consider.

Final point - with the new NH F suites (enclosed and called the square or similar) the experience will be more personal and is a "next generation" of First class whereas the Asiana seats are still just that, seats rather than suites. If you're by yourself NH would be better, if with someone else Asiana may actually work out better as you'd be able to see your companion.

Thanks for the sharing! Well I have to choose either one.. Been to both but services to and from Seoul are all in J, which I do not want anyways..

Now I'm really set on going NH! Thanks again!
Old Jun 9, 2011, 5:54 pm

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt GP, Marriott, Varying Levels w/ UA /AF /DL /SQ /AA
...I believe Asiana still only offers F on the 747 (so you get to be in the nose) whereas NH use 77Ws so you are behind the pilots, though based on flying out on a 747 you might prefer a change.
I thought that OZ was keeping first on their new 777s. Am I wrong?

The new NH Square seats are really the old NH seats with wood around them. VERY VERY VERY comfortable, though! Easy to fall asleep in these, and plenty of room.

I would, too (full disclosure: I've never flown OZ and based on my great experiences with NH, will take them over OZ due to my experience and admitted bias).

Your summary of NH was 100% right on, littlevoices; it sort of made me feel I was in NH first!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.