Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

FF Newbie trying to get PHL to MUC

Old Feb 24, 2011, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Silver, Club Carlson Gold

First off, thanks in advance to anyone who takes pity on my and offers some tips/advice ^

Just started looking at miles instead of dollars to get a r/t PHL to MUC this summer - $1400 is a big pill to swallow.

I'm finding the whole *A thing pretty confusing. Here's what I'm looking at:

- I've opened accounts with USAirways and Continental to get things started.

- Looking at rewards flights on USAirways, my dates would need 90,000 miles for economy. On Continental I could do the same dates for 55,000. Or fly Business for 105,000. The *A charts say 60k for economy on partner airlines.

- I can get 25,000 free miles on USAirways by getting their credit card.

- I can get 50,000 free miles on Continental by getting their credit card.

- I can buy additional miles on USAirways at 2 for 1 until end of March. I don't think Continental allows buying of miles at this time.

What's my least expensive way of doing this?

Should I cc/buy 60k miles on USAirways and try to book a partner award?
Should I cc 50k miles on Continental and figure out how to come up with another 5k miles?
Something else entirely?

It doesn't seem right that I need 90k USAirways miles for their r/t, but only 60k of their miles to buy a *A r/t?

Your expertise is massively appreciated!

Last edited by kendenton; Feb 24, 2011 at 12:42 pm
Old Feb 24, 2011, 8:11 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Before you do all this, have you actually checked to see if there are tickets available on the day you want to fly? Summer tends to be extremely difficult to get mileage tickets to Europe from the U.S.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

There are several flights with reward seats. Continental's award booking shows choices on lufthansa, us airways and va.

Thanks!
Old Feb 24, 2011, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Looking at rewards flights on USAirways, my dates would need 90,000 miles for economy. On Continental I could do the same dates for 55,000. Or fly Business for 105,000. The *A charts say 60k for economy on partner airlines.
If you are using usairways.com, US will not show you partner flights. You must call in to book those.

And the reason there is a difference is US is not showing you the lowest tier of awards on US flights. Given when you are flying (summer), those awards are sold out already.

I would suggest reading some in this thread and this.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 10:05 pm

Programs: Delta 360, Alaska Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
You might want to also check alternate routes/dates for a paid fare. Sometimes a nearby city might be cheaper. You can take a train to your final destination.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Been checking alternate dates/locations, thanks. Prices vary by a few dollars for ZRH/FRA/TXL/MXP but not by enough to offset the hassle.

A fare sale sure would be nice

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.