Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jtet
A number of threads have been started with members asking for guidance on which mileage programme they should join. In order to help users I have started this thread to allow people to post their requests for information here and to allow people to offer assistance.

For members asking for information please help people to assist you, can you provide:

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc)
(7) Preferred Airlines
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)

GENERAL INFORMATION:

If you fly less than 50k miles per year: it is almost guaranteed that your choice will be between Aegean Airlines, Turkish Airlines, and Asiana Airlines. Please look up these airlines' frequent flier programs, and make a decision as to which best suits your needs.

Some considerations to take into account:

Airlines tend to treat members of their own frequent flier program better than members of other frequent flier programs. If you fly one of these airlines, it is recommended that you choose that airline.

Some airlines have better earning/redemption charts for your pattern. For example, if you fly on cheap fares on a certain airline often, Turkish might give you miles for it, while Aegean might not. However, Turkish Airlines might charge much more for the redemption that you want to make than Aegean.

Asiana Airlines offers lifetime Star Alliance Gold for 500k miles over life. The other 2 airlines do not offer this benefit.

Asiana Airlines has a credit card in the USA and some other countries. If you are interested in credit cards, check to make sure that the program that you join has a credit card in your country.
If you still aren't sure which frequent flyer program is for you after looking these up, feel free to ask on this thread.
Print Wikipost

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2014, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by Cyzei
For Asiana, you get your Diamond (= Star Gold) at the moment you reach 40k within two years. It doesn't necessary have to be 2 years. If you attain 40k in one year, then you can enjoy Star Gold service immediately, but the miles you earn in the rest of the two year period would not count as status miles for the next two year period. In addition, Asiana takes all United's cheapest economy fare as 100%.
Yeah but I definitely won't make 40k a year. On Asiana's redemption rates 40k in two years also seems unlikely. Asiana Gold (*S) makes no sense because then I'd rather go for MileagePlus Silver.

Aegean (A3). This is the easiest way to get Star Gold status, but you have to make sure fares are right. However, it is not that rewarding and redeeming process would be a mess.
Good Point. I'll keep that in mind.

Well, it is hard to choose between programs, but you have to understand that you sometimes have to give up things. With cheapest fare and not many miles per year, it is not easy.
I know! I think it's coming down to possible Aegean Gold, or United Silver. One way I'll give up lounge access etc., but at least make status and have miles to spend, and the other way I'll get a good ground treatment, but might not make status. At least I'll have Aegean Blue by the end of this year. Will see what steps to take after that depending on what tickets I book for January.

Thanks for all your help!
Old Apr 19, 2014, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by jayv123
Yeah but I definitely won't make 40k a year. On Asiana's redemption rates 40k in two years also seems unlikely. Asiana Gold (*S) makes no sense because then I'd rather go for MileagePlus Silver.

Good Point. I'll keep that in mind.

I know! I think it's coming down to possible Aegean Gold, or United Silver. One way I'll give up lounge access etc., but at least make status and have miles to spend, and the other way I'll get a good ground treatment, but might not make status. At least I'll have Aegean Blue by the end of this year. Will see what steps to take after that depending on what tickets I book for January.

Thanks for all your help!
I am not sure if you get me right.

Aegean Gold = Asiana Diamond = United Gold = Star Alliance Gold (status-wise)

Aegean Blue = Asiana Gold = United Silver = Star Alliance Silver (Status-wise)

Star Alliance Silver does not give any really benefits. You cannot get priority ground service with Star Alliance Silver.

The only way to get priority ground service is Star Gold.

BTW, you don't need to fly 40k in one year to get Asiana Diamond. It is 40k in two years.

With United Silver, the thing you get would be good redemption on award tickets, nothing else basically.

With Aegean Gold, you get the status, which gives you good ground service, lounges, etc., but the redemption rate is not as good as United.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 3:13 am

Location: TLV, JFK, ORD and everywhere in between (no longer SEA)
Programs: Delta PM
(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.) TLV
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.) Coach
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)around 40K
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Premier, M&M Senator etc) DL Gold
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.) upgrades, priority boarding, good award redemption
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc) International: TLV-Europe (mainly MUC) TLV-JFK
(7) Preferred Airlines LY only because of the many direct routes to Europe, and its direct to HK and India
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)
work and school

I am trying to decide who to match my DL gold with. Ideally I would want it matched to M&M but I cannot seem to get an approval for that.. looking for advice to see how I can get around it (if possible at all?) and match. I looked into Turkish, but it's also not ideal since they dont have a direct to MUC. UA is not an option for me. I would vey much like to match at a *alliance, but it appears that other than M&M there isnt a good option.

As for LY, I am trying to leverage my gold with their plat. anyone has any advice about that at all? people at the Matmid thread are shifting me away from matching with them altogether but their direct routes have an appeal for me.

what do you think I should do?
thanks!!
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:22 pm

Programs: QFF, AA
95k p.a. on South African Airways..?

G'day all,

I'm hoping some of the more experienced FFlyers can help me with this particular issue:

Later in the year, I'll be starting a regular monthly trip to and from Nigeria, from Perth (that's right, a 28/28 FIFO job from Perth to Nigeria! ); basically, twelve trips a year (PER-JNB-LOS one month, LOS-JNB-PER the next). Work is paying, and it looks like I may be flying South African Airways business class the whole way. This will go on for around three years.

I was hoping someone could help me pick a way to apply these trips to a *A airline to maximise their utility. I'm fairly familiar with the OW programme, but this is the first time I've ever had to look at anything on the *A side of the fence... Answers in the below are per the above.

(1) What is your home airport? PER
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Business
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 96k (12 * 8k one-way).
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? OW Sapphire (via QantasFF Gold).
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? good earn/redemption rates, lounge access, priority boarding
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? PER-JNB-LOS / LOS-JNB-PER
(7) Preferred Airlines? I'm only really familiar with the OW airlines. I like Qantas quite a bit.
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Work. Cannot choose airlines, but will always be business (never economy or first).

Would love to hear your thoughts on this!
Old May 5, 2014, 4:13 am

Hello, im trying to figure out the best *A carrier to get the best value out of my miles (being based in Singapore). I will be flying mainly SQ economy on business trips withing the region and cheapest fare available when on personal travel

Here is how i see the options i selected (Avianca, United, SQ)

Avianca
+ no fuel surcharge
+ cheap buying of miles
+ relaxed miles expiry rules
+ reasonable award chart
- doubts about customer service telephone
- no chance of getting status since it requires flying on Avianca

United
+ no fuel surcharge
+ relaxed miles expiry rules
+ reasonable award chart
+ user friendly booking system
- award chart looks less attractive than avianca
- little chance of getting status since it requires flying on UA

Singapore Airlines
+ 25% bonus mileage from silver onwards
+ abilty of accrueing credit card spending
+ chance of getting status
-very high fuel surcharge
-miles expiry rules
- award chart on partners unattractive

would be great if you could let me know if there is any parameter that i have missed and if you could give me advise on the choice
Old May 7, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: BA (Gold), Flying Blue (Gold), Virgin (Gold)
(1) London (LHR/LGW/LCY)
(2) F
(3) >50k but enough to get and keep BA gold
(4) BA gold
(5) Good award redemption rates and miles that don't expire each year
(6) LHR-JNB, and LHR-SFO/LAX, SFO-BOS/YYZ and BOS/NYC-LON
(7) BA but have to fly United/Lufthansa/Swiss/Air Canada on certain routes and pick up "bitty" miles.
(8) Generally work with some choice.
Old May 14, 2014, 10:34 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.): PHX
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.): C or domestic F
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k): >150K, but most are on OW now that US has merged with AA. Most *A now will be on intra-Europe LH/LX, OZ, or SQ where a OW option doesn't make sense. This may be anywhere from 0-50K/year and is not predictable.
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Premier, M&M Senator etc) BA Gold
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.) Lounge access, and/or the option to book into F on LH/LX/SQ/OZ
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc) by number of flights, half domestic, half TATL/TPAC, though the mileage is skewed towards international
(7) Preferred Airlines on *A, OZ, SQ, LH, LX, NZ, TK
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?) Work, and I usually have a choice.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 1:26 am

Programs: CX SL
Hello. I'm planning to switch from OneWorld to *A, mainly due to the fact that my girlfriend is moving to IAH, a UA hub, which will be my only choice if I want to visit her non-stop. I currently have OW Sapphire (AA PLT), but I'm starting to fly a little bit less next year.

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.)
PIT
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.)
Usually the cheapest Y available
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
35k-40k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Premier, M&M Senator etc)
AA Platinum
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
Lounge and redemption
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc)
Twice a year on TPAC, and a few US domestic trips
(7) Preferred Airlines
UA for domestic, NH and UA for TPAC
Because I pay for myself, I'd prefer to go with the cheapest available Y. But I surely will go with *A on all my trips.

I was thinking about OZ, but apparently OZ doesn't offer a status match. I'm also considering matching to UA Gold (I can do 12.5k in 90 days), go with that for a year, and get a TK elite with a match again. Which one do you think is better, or do you have any other recommendations?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by michaelworchid; Jun 12, 2014 at 1:36 am
Old Jun 20, 2014, 7:19 am

Programs: DL Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Singapore Airlines Gold and a bunch of others
I just took a promotion that has me moving to Singapore in August. Is there any reason for me to consider an arirline to status Match to besides Singapore Air?

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.) SIN
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.) Y
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k) >50K not sure how much, but, I guess after a year it will be north of 100K
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Premier, M&M Senator etc) Delta Diamond
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.) Good redemption rates, then Priority service, then lounge and Upgrades
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc) This will me mostly intra Asia, with one flight a year to the US
(7) Preferred Airlines
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you choose your airlines, class of service?) I travel for Work, but, I can choose my airlines as long as not much more expensive then other Full Service Airlines
Old Jul 1, 2014, 6:41 am

Programs: CX-DM, BA-GGL, Marriott-TI, HHonors-DM
(1) What is your home airport? HKG
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy? Under 5h Y, Over 5h J
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? ~140k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? CX (SL), AC (SE)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Good award redemption rates
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? HKG-ZRH/SIN/YVR/MEL
(7) Preferred Airlines? SQ
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Can you choose your airlines, class of service?) Both. Can choose any airlines.

Thanks for the advice!

Last edited by hermanc; Oct 24, 2014 at 8:33 pm
Old Jul 2, 2014, 12:08 am

Programs: Gold DL, Silver UA, Hyatt Platinum
Would appreciate a bit of help.
Currently trying to defect from UA Mileage Plus because of the new changes (and the old changes--the PQD requirement). I also generally do not fly UA so much but tend to fly other * Alliance carriers.

I have read around a bit but can't figure out if Turkish or Air Canada or Miles and More or others are the best for me. Would prefer to get *Gold to add to my Delta Gold. Will sometimes do the odd MR to get status. Currently have one of the UA ICN F mistake fares booked, if that's any help.

1-NYC (JFK or EWR)
2-Usually buy cheap economy fares.
3-Overall around 100k, although at least 40K or so go on Delta where I have gold status. I generally do not travel on One World carriers except Cathay and the odd AA flight.
4-UA Silver, Delta Gold.
5-I would like a program that has good award redemption value and availability and if possible allows upgrades, although I realize that from my fare buckets those are unlikely. Alternately, if upgrades aren’t happening, at least priority travel services including premium econ. seating discounts when available, would be good to have. Use my Delta Gold, United Club membership and Priority Pass to get into most lounges.
6-Most often fly transatlantic and to the Middle East. Sometimes to Latin America and Asia, although again my preference is for Cathay and Delta to Asia.
7-Like Turkish a lot. Would like to try Austrian, Thai and Singapore. Haven’t flown Lufthansa for years. Also like Brussels Airlines. Air Canada is ok.
8-Mix between work and pleasure.
9-Do not want to pay YQ on award flights.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 12:34 pm

Hello there, I'll be flying Amsterdam-Christchurch-Amsterdam with Singapore next week and am deciding which FF program to join. I did a lot of research but that just made my head overheat. Hope you guys will help :-)

(1) What is your home airport? VIE, PRG, BTS
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy? Economy, I'm price-sensitive
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 30k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? NA
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Good award redemption rates. I'm not looking for status and lounge access, as I use Diners Club card that lets me in those lounges (I was thinking of joining Aegean, but then figured the gold status would be of not much use to me)
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? within Europe
(7) Preferred Airlines? none
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Can you choose your airlines, class of service?) Pleasure, I can choose any airline I wish

Hopefully you folks will help me with my struggle, I myself suffer when choosing among too many options - choice paralysis at its best :-)
Old Jul 2, 2014, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ostap
Hello there, I'll be flying Amsterdam-Christchurch-Amsterdam with Singapore next week and am deciding which FF program to join. I did a lot of research but that just made my head overheat. Hope you guys will help :-)
< snip >
Hopefully you folks will help me with my struggle, I myself suffer when choosing among too many options - choice paralysis at its best :-)
Welcome to FT

What booking class with SQ? Will not be Y. Probably will be the first letter of the fare info. It is not your 6 character booking reference
Who do fly with in Europe?
Are you a member of any freq flyer program now?
Old Jul 2, 2014, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Welcome to FT

What booking class with SQ? Will not be Y. Probably will be the first letter of the fare info. It is not your 6 character booking reference
Who do fly with in Europe?
Are you a member of any freq flyer program now?
Hi Mwenenzi and thanks for such a quick reply!

My AMS-SIN and SIN-CHC are booked in Economy W, CHC-SIN and SIN-AMS are Economy Q.

For flights in Europe I mostly use lowcost airlines and those outside of SA, from within Star Alliance I've used Austrian and SAS in the past. In the confusion of past few weeks I've signed up for Aegean, Miles&More and KrisFlyer, but haven't credited any of those with any miles, except for the welcome bonuses.

Hope this helps, thanks!
Old Jul 6, 2014, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by ostap
Hi Mwenenzi and thanks for such a quick reply!

My AMS-SIN and SIN-CHC are booked in Economy W, CHC-SIN and SIN-AMS are Economy Q.

For flights in Europe I mostly use lowcost airlines and those outside of SA, from within Star Alliance I've used Austrian and SAS in the past. In the confusion of past few weeks I've signed up for Aegean, Miles&More and KrisFlyer, but haven't credited any of those with any miles, except for the welcome bonuses.

Hope this helps, thanks!
You won't get any miles on any other FFP other than KF for your flight in Q. I think you only get 25% on Krisflyer. You will get 100% on W class on both KF and other FFP. You might want to contact whoever you issued the ticket with that you want to upbuy your return sector to W class so as to get full miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.