Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jtet
A number of threads have been started with members asking for guidance on which mileage programme they should join. In order to help users I have started this thread to allow people to post their requests for information here and to allow people to offer assistance.

For members asking for information please help people to assist you, can you provide:

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc)
(7) Preferred Airlines
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)

GENERAL INFORMATION:

If you fly less than 50k miles per year: it is almost guaranteed that your choice will be between Aegean Airlines, Turkish Airlines, and Asiana Airlines. Please look up these airlines' frequent flier programs, and make a decision as to which best suits your needs.

Some considerations to take into account:

Airlines tend to treat members of their own frequent flier program better than members of other frequent flier programs. If you fly one of these airlines, it is recommended that you choose that airline.

Some airlines have better earning/redemption charts for your pattern. For example, if you fly on cheap fares on a certain airline often, Turkish might give you miles for it, while Aegean might not. However, Turkish Airlines might charge much more for the redemption that you want to make than Aegean.

Asiana Airlines offers lifetime Star Alliance Gold for 500k miles over life. The other 2 airlines do not offer this benefit.

Asiana Airlines has a credit card in the USA and some other countries. If you are interested in credit cards, check to make sure that the program that you join has a credit card in your country.
If you still aren't sure which frequent flyer program is for you after looking these up, feel free to ask on this thread.
Print Wikipost

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Old Dec 2, 2010, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by 1967cougar
Do you connect through a hub when you leave BWI or are most flights direct from BWI? I ask because of segments and minimum segment miles.
I typically have to connect (Philadelphia or Charlotte), but I'm willing to switch airlines to get more directs and or a better quality of service and FF program.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 5:59 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gster78
Would really appreciate others' more-expert advice:

(1) What is your home airport? EWR (though I could fly out of LGA and JFK as well)
(2) Do you currently have any status? No status - most of my miles would come through Starpoints transfers
(3) What types of fares do you usually buy? Economy fares
(4) Which airlines/routes do you usually fly? In terms of airlines, I typically fly Continental, US Airways, AA, United and Delta (in that order) when it comes to domestic routes. However, my flights are usually Transpacific, in which case, I'd much prefer flying Asian (or any other non-American) airlines.
(5) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 20k (though most of these tend to come from award flights)
(6) Do you mainly fly for work or for leisure? / Do you have any flexibility in choosing the airline/fare bucket etc.? Leisure - lots of flexibility
(7) What is most important to you in a FFP? Award redemption (especially for international flights) -- I'm okay with flying in Y (usually don't have enough miles to redeem C)
Since you fly less than 20k, I would suggest Aegean Miles & Bonus if you want to get status. If you want to redeem, stay as far away from Aegean as you can.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 6:00 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Pwrzecio
Hi,

I would be very keen to receive your feedback and advises.
I just immigrated to Singapore.
In France where I used to live, I was Platinum with Flying Blue.
Since I'm now based in Singapore, I will fly much more with Singapore Airlines. I'm hesitating between:
- continue using my Aeroplan card
- subscribing to Krysflyer
- I'm opened to any other options (M&M....)

The reason why I'm contemplating the avenue to stay with Aeroplan although I will rarely fly Air Canada, is that the status levels seem rather low, and you got a couple of hard advantages every year.

Could you please share with me any of your feedack/experience/advises...
As I mentioned, I'm opened to any suggestion.
I tried to have a status match with Singapore Airlines, that they refuse...

Singapore

Coach if < 8 hours, and Business if > 8 hours
So coach most of time

Around 50k on Star Alliance flights

(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Premier, M&M Senator etc)
I am Platinum with Flying Blue
I will likely continue spending 70k with Skyteam (to achieve Platinum for life in a few years) + 50k with Star Alliance

(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
upgrades, redemptions, lounge access

Inter-Asia
A couple of flights to Europe

(7) Preferred Airlines
My company has a plan with Singapore Airlines

(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)
Mostly for work.
My company has an agreement with Singapore Airlines

I have a few additional questions:
- I guess I have more chance to be upgraded on Singapore Airlines, if I have a status with Kryslflyer (versus Aeroplan), right ?
- what about the redemptions chart : do you have access to the same number of seats/destinations if you are Krysflyer or any other card from Star alliance, or is there a diffrent rule. Typically, there is zero seat available in business from Paris to Singapore on Singapore Airlines with my Aeroplan miles. I'm wondering if it would be the same if I would have Krysfyer card and miles instead.

Thanks !!
Since you were platinum on Skyteam, I'd suggest you look around for a *A carrier that accepts status matches. Then, you would at least have *G.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by chiefmbh
(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.) LEX, CVG, SDF
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.) Economy
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k) 10K but increasing
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Premier, M&M Senator etc) NADA
Good Award Redemption Rates and availability
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc) Mostly leisure, so none
(7) Preferred Airlines- None but have 75K on AA and 68K on Continental
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?) 90% Pleasure Travel
Since you are only flying 10k a year, I would suggest Aegean Miles & Bonus. If you fly 20k in 2 years, you will attain *G. You can then status match to another carrier (ex. DL)
Old Dec 3, 2010, 7:09 am

Programs: FB Plat / SPG Plat / Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Since you were platinum on Skyteam, I'd suggest you look around for a *A carrier that accepts status matches. Then, you would at least have *G.
Would you know which *A could agree on a status match for my Flying Blue Platinum status ?
(For sure not Singapore airlines, that I have already tried without success...)
Old Dec 3, 2010, 4:38 pm

Programs: Golden Lotus Plus Gold Elite, ASIANA Gold
I come from Warsaw, Poland

This month, i'm going to Lyon from Warsaw via Zurich by Swiss class P and i'll return to Warsaw via Frankfurt with Lufthansa class W.

I am a Vietnam Airlines' GLP Gold Elite member and I think I should move to a *A FFP. I often fly to Hanoi (now LOT flies directly to HAN) and i am thinking about a *A FFP but I don't which fFP to choose

Next year, I'll move to Canada (Vancouver), I will fly to Poland, Vietnam from to Canada, so I can use the AC's Aeroplan it is easier to reach Silver (25000miles/calendar year) or Gold statuses than any other *A's programs.

But Aegean's Miles & Bonus is EASIER than the AC's Aeroplan with only 3000 miles to reach the Silver status +16000 to be GOLD!!!

I don't know which FFP to use with Star, I already made a A3 account but maybe AC is better than A3. A3 so easy to earn! Please help me to choose a right, fair FFP for me.

And I don't know with wich FFP to start with Lyon's journeys this month.

thanks!
I want a *A FF:
(1) My home airport is WAW but later YVR and WAW
(2) I usually buy Y fares (mostly 50% of Y Economy)
(3) Really, it depends, i dont know, but I always fly on transcontinental flights
(4) I am Vietnam Airlines' Gold Skyteam Elite
(5) The most important to me in a FFP are airport lounges, pick-up luggage earlier, Priority Check-in, easy free upgread to a better class (like in VN)
(6) I mostly fly like WAW-HAN-WAW
(7) My preferred airlines are LOT, Singapore Airlines, Vietnam Airlines (SKT).
(8) Mostly for pleasure.

Last edited by gruszkatt; Dec 4, 2010 at 10:46 am
Old Dec 4, 2010, 1:56 am
formerly Fly-Swiss

Programs: SQ
I'm wondering the same thing. Based out in SIN with Longhaul C and shorthaul Y. KrisFlyer seems less interesting than M&M (LH). Has anyone checked / calculated ?
Old Dec 4, 2010, 11:09 am

SEA

Whatever is available to get where I want to go when I want to go there. Where upgrades are unlikely, I buy y-up or first 50/50 depending on distance.

200,000 (180k on SkyTeam, the remainder on other airlines). In 2010 YTD - maybe 10k on United/USair, 5k on American

[I'm looking for a place for the *A miles; I'm not leaving SkyTeam]

(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Premier, M&M Senator etc)

Delta Diamond; Alaska MVP.

Place to stash miles when I have to fly non SkyTeam

Domestic. SEA to Midwest.

(7) Preferred Airlines

SkyTeam: Delta, Alaska.
Non-SkyTeam: Continental
American because of Alaska partnership.

Both. I have total freedom to choose whatever flight I want.

Last edited by anaugle; Dec 4, 2010 at 11:16 am Reason: Clarified the current status.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 7:38 am

(1) What is your home airport? LHR
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? The cheapest fares
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 1-2 long haul LHR-SYD/PEK
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? None at present
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Fast check in, lounge access
(6) Which routes do you fly most often UK-Australia/Asia
(7) Preferred Airlines Nil
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Pleasure only.

Thanks.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 12:19 pm

Your advice please...

Here are my details:

TLV
Usually regular fare flexible economy. Never lowest cost economy. Sometimes full fare - e.g. Y
About 50k
Gold in LY
In this order:
1. Lounges
2. Good redemption rates. And also good millage accrual from my base airport. Apparently some airlines regard Israel as Europe (good) and other as middle east (bad).
3. Upgrades
4. Priority
Mostly TLV to different parts of Europe. Once or twice a year to North America
(7) Preferred Airlines
I travel with the airline that goes direct, if there's one. I use M&M airlines a little bit more than others.
I can always choose the airline, but prefer to go direct if I can. I can never choose the class.

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 5, 2010, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by efactor
I typically have to connect (Philadelphia or Charlotte), but I'm willing to switch airlines to get more directs and or a better quality of service and FF program.
I would think that US would still be your best bet, I would suspect you'd have to get to a hub with any carrier if you're flying from BWI or CLT. With US' presence at PHL and only about 80-100 miles from BWI, it would seem like an easy and "cheap" way to get minimum segment miles and segment count. I know sometimes people think other plans are better, just because they are different plans, but they usually find out that the grass is not greener on the other side. Plus, with US, having CLT and PHL as 2 good hub options close to your BWI would seem attractive as well. I'm not the sharpest knife in the FF knoweledge arena, but if I were in the same position, I would lean towards US.

Otherwise, you could look at CO/UA if you dont mind hopping to EWR for your connections, but I dont see it being a better option.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by gruszkatt
I come from Warsaw, Poland

This month, i'm going to Lyon from Warsaw via Zurich by Swiss class P and i'll return to Warsaw via Frankfurt with Lufthansa class W.

I am a Vietnam Airlines' GLP Gold Elite member and I think I should move to a *A FFP. I often fly to Hanoi (now LOT flies directly to HAN) and i am thinking about a *A FFP but I don't which fFP to choose

Next year, I'll move to Canada (Vancouver), I will fly to Poland, Vietnam from to Canada, so I can use the AC's Aeroplan it is easier to reach Silver (25000miles/calendar year) or Gold statuses than any other *A's programs.

But Aegean's Miles & Bonus is EASIER than the AC's Aeroplan with only 3000 miles to reach the Silver status +16000 to be GOLD!!!

I don't know which FFP to use with Star, I already made a A3 account but maybe AC is better than A3. A3 so easy to earn! Please help me to choose a right, fair FFP for me.

And I don't know with wich FFP to start with Lyon's journeys this month.

thanks!
I want a *A FF:
(1) My home airport is WAW but later YVR and WAW
(2) I usually buy Y fares (mostly 50% of Y Economy)
(3) Really, it depends, i dont know, but I always fly on transcontinental flights
(4) I am Vietnam Airlines' Gold Skyteam Elite
(5) The most important to me in a FFP are airport lounges, pick-up luggage earlier, Priority Check-in, easy free upgread to a better class (like in VN)
(6) I mostly fly like WAW-HAN-WAW
(7) My preferred airlines are LOT, Singapore Airlines, Vietnam Airlines (SKT).
(8) Mostly for pleasure.

Stick with AC, Aegean may be "cheaper" but redemptions are more difficult PLUS your aegean *A card will be worth little in Canada and Europe. If you are going to fly AC metal to europe, the Aeroplan is far more beneficial to you. You wont be able to receive upgrades being aegean gold when you are flying AC. Plus if you are flying the long hauls to Warsaw and Vietnam you will earn *gold in NO TIME, especially if you spring for am occassional biz class itinerary and take advantage of fare class multipliers. AC will treat you far better as an aeroplan *G than an Aegean *A.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 2:08 pm

Programs: Golden Lotus Plus Gold Elite, ASIANA Gold
Originally Posted by 1967cougar
Stick with AC, Aegean may be "cheaper" but redemptions are more difficult PLUS your aegean *A card will be worth little in Canada and Europe. If you are going to fly AC metal to europe, the Aeroplan is far more beneficial to you. You wont be able to receive upgrades being aegean gold when you are flying AC. Plus if you are flying the long hauls to Warsaw and Vietnam you will earn *gold in NO TIME, especially if you spring for am occassional biz class itinerary and take advantage of fare class multipliers. AC will treat you far better as an aeroplan *G than an Aegean *A.
what do you mean with: "Plus if you are flying the long hauls to Warsaw and Vietnam you will earn *gold in NO TIME" ?
Old Dec 5, 2010, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by gruszkatt
what do you mean with: "Plus if you are flying the long hauls to Warsaw and Vietnam you will earn *gold in NO TIME" ?
because its a 10,000 mile r/t from vancouver to warsaw and a 14k round trip to sgn. If you fly business, you'll get 2x status multiplier miles so that would be 20k or 28k miles respectively. Run 2 or 3 big trips like this a year or to vietnam, and 50k happens in no time. I had 2 z trips to europe this yr, plus my domestic flying and hit *g fairly easily. Status multipliers come in handy.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:05 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Starting a new job in Jan - used to be a heavy traveller (AADv EXP, LH SEN) but dropped off over last 2 years. I have AAdv MM status so will continue with AA in OW, but my LH account is spent on awards and no real status.....so

(1) What is your home airport? MEL
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? PremY or C
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? likely to be >50k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? LH FT
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? free lounge access , good award redemption rates, priority services when flying the airline (in that order)
(6) Which routes do you fly most often MEL-LHR, MEL-BOM, MEL-LAX/ORD/JFK
(7) Preferred Airlines - within *A likely to be SQ/UA/TG/NZ given flight routes to MEL (happy to connect in SYD if worth it)
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? mainly work but also pleasure (more likely to be on miles).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.