Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jtet
A number of threads have been started with members asking for guidance on which mileage programme they should join. In order to help users I have started this thread to allow people to post their requests for information here and to allow people to offer assistance.

For members asking for information please help people to assist you, can you provide:

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc)
(7) Preferred Airlines
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)

GENERAL INFORMATION:

If you fly less than 50k miles per year: it is almost guaranteed that your choice will be between Aegean Airlines, Turkish Airlines, and Asiana Airlines. Please look up these airlines' frequent flier programs, and make a decision as to which best suits your needs.

Some considerations to take into account:

Airlines tend to treat members of their own frequent flier program better than members of other frequent flier programs. If you fly one of these airlines, it is recommended that you choose that airline.

Some airlines have better earning/redemption charts for your pattern. For example, if you fly on cheap fares on a certain airline often, Turkish might give you miles for it, while Aegean might not. However, Turkish Airlines might charge much more for the redemption that you want to make than Aegean.

Asiana Airlines offers lifetime Star Alliance Gold for 500k miles over life. The other 2 airlines do not offer this benefit.

Asiana Airlines has a credit card in the USA and some other countries. If you are interested in credit cards, check to make sure that the program that you join has a credit card in your country.
If you still aren't sure which frequent flyer program is for you after looking these up, feel free to ask on this thread.
Print Wikipost

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Old Nov 20, 2010, 7:20 pm

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, UA MP, A3, Radisson Rewards, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor All, Scandic Friends
(1) What is your home airport? OSL

(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Economy tickets, cheapest possible but still want to earn 100%

(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 30K - 45K

(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Priority services, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, possibility to receive *A gold for lifetime if I travel even more later.

(6) Which routes do you fly most often? European, Transpacific

(7) Preferred Airlines: I have no preferred Airlines.

(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? I can choose my airlines and class of service. I mainly travel for pleasure.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by rejden
(1) VIE
(2) economy and economy+
(3) 50k - 100k
(4) nothing on staralliance (skyteam elite+)
(5) upgrades if possible and +1 guest to lounge
(6) Europe
(7) Austrian
(8) both work and pleasure in economy and economy+

what I'm looking for is gold status in star alliance, and I'm not sure I can qualify for 100k miles to be senator in miles and more, since they are not counting segments at all and I still need to fly a bit with skyteam to retrain gold status for 2012

Flying from VIE, I would initially recommend BMI diamond club. Reasonably easy to get to *Gold (16k miles gets you silver, another 38k beyond gets *G) and also has family plan feature to combine miles of up to 8 family members (though family miles dont count to status, they really add up quick for redemption). Lounge access as *G is fairly easy across the *A footprint with *Gold.

Couple of caveats:

A merger of BMI diamond and LH's Miles and More is imminent and most feel it will happen sometime next year. In the past, when Miles and More acquired other FF plans (Swiss/austrian etc), they would grant a 2 year extension of *gold into miles/more senator, but past actions dont guarantee future actions by LH. If you can get gold relatively quickly, then this may be the way to go. Going forward, being based in VIE, Miles and More could be a very practical FF program.

BMI redemptions currently are quite attractive. They offer Miles + Cash redemption to really make redemptions cost and miles effective.

BMI is generous in miles crediting. Business class fares miles usually have a 2x multiplier, and they have minimum miles for any leg (in other words, even though munich to nuremburg is only about 110 mile flight, they credit 300 or 600 miles, depending on class.

I usually fly biz class fares and find their crediting very attractive and thats what lured me to their scheme.

It only took me 2 transatlantic runs this year to gain gold status

Hopefully my lengthy answer helped.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by sky417
(1) What is your home airport? YVR
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Y or discounted rates
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 25~30K
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? CO Gold, KE Morning Calm
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Lounge access, maybe upgrade?
(6) Which routes do you fly most often : YVR-ICN
(7) Preferred Airlines : SQ, KE, OZ
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? pleasure

I am trying to decide between CO and AC..
I received CO Gold status via SM this year(from KE), and now I don't know if I should collect the mileage with CO.. the 100% bonus sounds pretty nice, in addition I just found out that the 100% bonus also applies to the AC flights..

Next year I'll have two trips to ICN, which are around 10k+ each, so with the 100% bonus it'll add up to 40k+.. which will make it so easy to maintain my gold status with CO.

Many people say that AC has one of the best FFP around, but I don't see why.. is it about the redemption rate? or low qualifying mile? (35k I believe?)

I admit that it is so much easier to collect miles on AC from using Canadian CCs, but those miles don't qualify for the status, right?
Youre right that miles earned through CCs etc. do not count for status.

Basically there are status miles (which usually can only be generated by flying) and award/redeemable miles. Status miles determine your status and are reset to 0 at the end of each year, award miles can be redeemed for flights etc. When you take a flight you usually earn the same amount of status and award miles. The only exception to this is "Elite bonus miles" which depends on the FFP, e.g. LH M&M status members earn a 25% miles bonus that both counts as status and award miles, while Aeroplan status members earn 25%-100% extra award miles (bonus doesnt count towards status), CO bonus miles also dont count as status miles.

Regarding your question: In order to earn any (meaningful) status, youll have to choose between KE and Star Alliance carriers. (IMO, SkyTeam is an overall much inferior alliance, so Id go with *A)

Another problem you have: If you mainly fly discounted or even regular economy fares (vs. full fare economy which is ridiculously expensive), youll often earn zero miles when flying SQ or a only 50%-70% with SQ/OZ. If you fly CO/US/AC youll earn 100% miles on all intl flights regardless of booking class.

If I were you, Id go for AC/Aeroplan:

- Elite (= *A Gold) status only requires 35k status miles
- lounge access included (with CO you cant use the lounges on domestic/transborder flights in the US)
- excellent redemption rates (do a search for "mini-RTW" in the AC forum), generally more generous stopover / routing rules
- more opportunities to earn award miles living in Canada (CC etc.)
- upgrade credits (theyre currently changing from paper certs to e-upgrades, so the exact details for next year havent been released yet), generally you can upgrade 4 days before departure when travelling in discounted economy on intl routes (if there are seats available) or you can confirm seats at time of booking when you buy more expensive fares (CO/UA only offers SWUs = intl upgrades to their top tier members). The advantage of CO/UA is that you can also upgrade using miles, which you cant on AC (at least not at the moment), but I usually dont consider using miles for upgrades a good investment.

Anyhow, AP is most beneficial if you actually fly AC due to the upgrades (which can only be used on AC operated flights) and the miles bonus (50% for Es on AC/UA/CO operated flights and 25% on some other carriers, but not SQ).

Last edited by Jasper2009; Nov 21, 2010 at 6:11 pm
Old Nov 21, 2010, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by petergrubercom
(1) Home airport? VIE/MXP
(2) Fares? Y discount
(3) Distance miles: 30.000, but many short hops in Europe
(4) I am a M&M Frequent Traveler
(5) Important: Star Alliance Gold perks (priority service, lounge access). I also like to get good deals on awards
(6) Which routes do you fly most often: intra-Europe plus 1-2 times per yr TATL
(7) none especially, but most of my routes are served by LX,OS,LH
(8) I travel on my own budget, i.e. could buy higher fares if there is some value in it.

So far, I came up with the following:
(a) go for Aegan, because they offer 500 miles for every segment on LX, even in E
(b) qualify for gold via segments at United or US Air (I do more than 60 segments). Question: do I get credit for segments, which yield zero miles (like the OS fares in O, and T)?
Welcome to Flyertalk! and ^ for doing some research!

I used to be in a similar situation like you were (mainly doing intra-European flights on LH in discounted Y, a few long-haul flights to North America in Y)

Regarding qualifying on segments: Booking classes which dont earn any miles also dont count for status. Most discounted booking classes on intra-European flights on LH (E, L, T) and OS only earn 125 miles with M&M and zero miles with most other FFPs. (so option b is likely not feasible)

When I did about 30k miles/year I switched all my flights to Air Canada in order to achieve Elite status (= Star Alliance Gold, equivalent to LH M&M Sen status) and maximize the benefits associated with E status.

AC Elite status requires 35k status miles (= 3 TATL flights), provides all benefits associated with *G status, plus upgrade certs for flights operated by AC, all intl flights operated by AC/UA/CO earn 100% miles with AP and you can also choose to earn a 50% miles bonus (while many booking classes on LH/LX/OS operated flights only earn 50% miles with M&M and the miles bonus is 25%)

US has one of the worst status programs IMO (no lounge access in the US, no upgrades, no mileage bonus, overall a crappy airline, redemption rates are good which is why everyone is buying US miles like mad, but redemption rates will inevitably inflate soon)

Aegean is a good option if you cant make status with any other airline, but otherwise Id avoid it. Also note that many booking classes earn fewer miles with Aegean than with M&M, AP etc., so be very careful when booking a flight.

Hope this helps!
Old Nov 21, 2010, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rejden
(1) VIE
(2) economy and economy+
(3) 50k - 100k
(4) nothing on staralliance (skyteam elite+)
(5) upgrades if possible and +1 guest to lounge
(6) Europe
(7) Austrian
(8) both work and pleasure in economy and economy+

what I'm looking for is gold status in star alliance, and I'm not sure I can qualify for 100k miles to be senator in miles and more, since they are not counting segments at all and I still need to fly a bit with skyteam to retrain gold status for 2012
Do you fly close to 100k miles or is it more like 50k miles?
Which destinations do you usually fly to?

Also, what do you mean by "economy+"? E+ on United Airlines or premium economy on (which airline?)?

Im happy to try to help, but a bit more info would be helpful.

Cheers
Old Nov 21, 2010, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by norwegian
(1) What is your home airport? OSL

(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Economy tickets, cheapest possible but still want to earn 100%

(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 30K - 45K

(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Priority services, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, possibility to receive *A gold for lifetime if I travel even more later.

(6) Which routes do you fly most often? European, Transpacific

(7) Preferred Airlines: I have no preferred Airlines.

(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? I can choose my airlines and class of service. I mainly travel for pleasure.
May I ask what destinations outside Europe you fly to? (Transpacific = TPAC usually refers to flights between Asia/Australia and North America, I guess you mean flights from Europe to Asia/Pacific?)

With 30k-45k miles / year your best option to earn *G status are:

- Aegean (16k/18k miles)
- Turkish Airlines Miles & Smiles
- Asiana
- Aeroplan (35k miles)

TK and OZ both require something like 30k miles/year, but youd have to look up the exact requirements...

Asiana also offers a very interesting lifetime elite status program which counts all *A flights. (UA and AC also offer lifetime status, but only count flights operated on their own metal)

From the info youve provided Id probably go for OZ, but Id also check out the other options.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 4:15 pm

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, UA MP, A3, Radisson Rewards, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor All, Scandic Friends
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
May I ask what destinations outside Europe you fly to? (Transpacific = TPAC usually refers to flights between Asia/Australia and North America, I guess you mean flights from Europe to Asia/Pacific?)

With 30k-45k miles / year your best option to earn *G status are:

- Aegean (16k/18k miles)
- Turkish Airlines Miles & Smiles
- Asiana
- Aeroplan (35k miles)

TK and OZ both require something like 30k miles/year, but youd have to look up the exact requirements...

Asiana also offers a very interesting lifetime elite status program which counts all *A flights. (UA and AC also offer lifetime status, but only count flights operated on their own metal)

From the info youve provided Id probably go for OZ, but Id also check out the other options.
Thanks for the advice.

I already have M&B with Aegean but do really consider to use Asiana Club instead. Mostly because of the possibility to reach One Million miles if I travel enough but also because they probably have more campains than Aegean.

I would probably been a member of SAS Eurobonus if my points did not expire in 5 years. It is also a bit harder to reach *Gold.

The best reason to have Eurobonus is the credit card from DinersClub - 15% bonus on everything I shop. I can of course have both - a mix of Asiana and Eurobonus: 15% bonus with the cc on all tickets I buy and the ordinary miles with Asiana. I saw an article about that not too long ago, the marketing executive said it was "OK" to earn bonus miles with their Co-branded cc even with their competitors that are not a part of *A (such as low cost airline Norwegian).
Old Nov 21, 2010, 5:50 pm

Youre right that miles earned through CCs etc. do not count for status.

Basically there are status miles (which usually can only be generated by flying) and award/redeemable miles. Status miles determine your status and are reset to 0 at the end of each year, award miles can be redeemed for flights etc. When you take a flight you usually earn the same amount of status and award miles. The only exception to this is "Elite bonus miles" which depends on the FFP, e.g. LH M&M status members earn a 25% miles bonus that both counts as status and award miles, while Aeroplan status members earn 25%-100% extra award miles (bonus doesnt count towards status), CO bonus miles also dont count as status miles.

Regarding your question: In order to earn any (meaningful) status, youll have to choose between KE and Star Alliance carriers. (IMO, SkyTeam is an overall much inferior alliance, so Id go with *A)

Another problem you have: If you mainly fly discounted or even regular economy fares (vs. full fare economy which is ridiculously expensive), youll often earn zero miles when flying SQ or a only 50%-70% with SQ/OZ. If you fly CO/US/AC youll earn 1% miles on all intl flights regardless of booking class.

If I were you, Id go for AC/Aeroplan:

- Elite (= *A Gold) status only requires 35k status miles
- lounge access included (with CO you cant use the lounges on domestic/transborder flights in the US)
- excellent redemption rates (do a search for "mini-RTW" in the AC forum), generally more generous stopover / routing rules
- more opportunities to earn award miles living in Canada (CC etc.)
- upgrade credits (theyre currently changing from paper certs to e-upgrades, so the exact details for next year havent been released yet), generally you can upgrade 4 days before departure when travelling in discounted economy on intl routes (if there are seats available) or you can confirm seats at time of booking when you buy more expensive fares (CO/UA only offers SWUs = intl upgrades to their top tier members). The advantage of CO/UA is that you can also upgrade using miles, which you cant on AC (at least not at the moment), but I usually dont consider using miles for upgrades a good investment.

Anyhow, AP is most beneficial if you actually fly AC due to the upgrades (which can only be used on AC operated flights) and the miles bonus (50% for Es on AC/UA/CO operated flights and 25% on some other carriers, but not SQ).
Thanks a lot!

I actually never knew that the bonus miles don't count as EQMs.
Now I think I should go with AP.. I think I could earn AP Prestige on year 2012, probably not enough for Elite, when my CO Gold expires.. but no more *G benefits
I could try SM to UA from KE, as my KE Morning Calm expires at the end of January 2012.. so there's another year of *G.
By then.. I'll figure something out!
Old Nov 22, 2010, 2:32 pm

Programs: TK G,UA *S
*S strategy

Hello,

I am *S and flying on following route SLP-TSR aprox. 3 times a year. Sometimes is MEX-TSR.
This year I flew on SLP-IAH-MUC-TSR route more often with Continental...
I am now thinking of flying with Lufthansa on MEX-FRA-MUC-TSR route...

Which would be better for me as a *S with M&M Programm? in terms of upgrades, more privileges? Never hit an upgrade flying with Continental...
only once on Lufthansa on a short intra european route....

Many thanks in advance.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 5:02 pm

(1) What is your home airport? SYD
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? full fare economy
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 40k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? Qantas gold/ OneWorld Sapphire.
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Lounge access, expedited check in, extra baggage, upgrades
(6) Which routes do you fly most often: Australia - NZ, internal flights in Australia, Australia - Europe or US.
(7) Preferred Airlines: nothing preferred
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? about 50/50 work/leisure.

I'm planning a RTW trip business class where a large number of the flights will be on Lufthansa. I'm looking for a FF scheme that will status match my One World Sapphire and be useful for being at the bottom end of the world.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 5:51 pm

Programs: QR Gold
Do you fly close to 100k miles or is it more like 50k miles?
Which destinations do you usually fly to?

Also, what do you mean by "economy+"? E+ on United Airlines or premium economy on (which airline?)?

Im happy to try to help, but a bit more info would be helpful.

Cheers
closer to 50k this year, previous was like 85k miles, mostly economy and economy flexible tarrif (lot of segments thou)

I usually fly Brussels, Paris, London and Athens. Was flying via Prague all the time, but they changed the timeline now I need to use Vienna each time.

Economy + I meant M or Y, as a economy flexible tarif

if you need more information please let me know and thank you!

btw if you know about any reasonable card match, I'm on skyteam elite+ now, trying to match anything from star alliance, tried miles and more (seem very very unlikely)
Old Nov 23, 2010, 2:30 am

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Originally Posted by kire
(1) What is your home airport? SYD
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? full fare economy
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 40k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? Qantas gold/ OneWorld Sapphire.
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Lounge access, expedited check in, extra baggage, upgrades
(6) Which routes do you fly most often: Australia - NZ, internal flights in Australia, Australia - Europe or US.
(7) Preferred Airlines: nothing preferred
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? about 50/50 work/leisure.

I'm planning a RTW trip business class where a large number of the flights will be on Lufthansa. I'm looking for a FF scheme that will status match my One World Sapphire and be useful for being at the bottom end of the world.
If the DJ / NZ agreement goes ahead this could work for you, however since you travel throughout Aus i reckon you are best to stick with QF for another 12 months and see what happens.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 7:49 am

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Gold, SPG Platinum
Home base SIN - which *A?

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.)
SIN
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.)
C for long haul international
Y for <5 hours international

(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
>50k

(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Premier, M&M Senator etc)
DL gold

(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)

(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc)
Intra-Asia
2 x Asia-USA in C

(7) Preferred Airlines
SQ probably, given that i will be based out of SIN

(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)
Work. Limited flexibility in choice.

Most important aspect for me is ability to use miles to upgrade Y fares to C for personal travel.

Thanks
Old Nov 23, 2010, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Bison9073
My apologies if this has been covered before.... I have just recently taken a job in Doha, Qatar and I am a Delta Silver Medallion. Looking at the flight schedules, Star Alliance is the best for me to fly back to my new home in Phoenix, AZ. My question is, do I join Qatar Airways program or do I join US Airways or United/Continental for my Frequent Flier miles to accrue status?

I'm not that familiar with Star Alliance as I grew up in the Dakotas where Northwest/Delta was about all we had, so any help is greatly appreciated. I try to avoid ORD at nearly any cost, but I don't mind making a connection at IAD.

Thanks for your help in advance!

The choice would depend on how much travel your going to do in each country for the future....Qatar is a brilliant airline but not a member of any alliance so getting status with them will only benefit if you live and stay in Doha.......but... they do have a codeshare agreement with US Airways which as you probably know has a hub at Pheonix. US Airways has a generous upgrade program for its FF's on domestic flights, its membership in the Star Alliance means you could get international upgrade vouchers if you accrue in excess of 100k miles a year. You'll also get access to reward tickets on United, Lufthansa etc and more importantly for the middle east Thai and Singapore airlines. Unless you don't plan on coming back to the US in the future I would suggest US Airways.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Bison9073
My apologies if this has been covered before.... I have just recently taken a job in Doha, Qatar and I am a Delta Silver Medallion. Looking at the flight schedules, Star Alliance is the best for me to fly back to my new home in Phoenix, AZ. My question is, do I join Qatar Airways program or do I join US Airways or United/Continental for my Frequent Flier miles to accrue status?

I'm not that familiar with Star Alliance as I grew up in the Dakotas where Northwest/Delta was about all we had, so any help is greatly appreciated. I try to avoid ORD at nearly any cost, but I don't mind making a connection at IAD.

Thanks for your help in advance!
I may sound like an employee of BMI Diamond club with me recommending it so much, but in this case Qatar is an airline partner (though non-*A) of BMI. ESPECIALLY if the bulk of your flying will occur outside the USA. To me, BMI presents one of the best programs for ease of use and integration into star alliance. If you are going to put on a lot of miles, go with Diamond Club. Even with a merger into LH miles and more (slated for next year), if you fly substantial miles, LH will take care of you nicely with Senator status and LH's reach into europe and the mid east in my opinion is about the best there is. But to make the best of it, especially with Miles and More taking Diamond Club into its fold, you need to be flying a considerable amount.

Another option maybe air canada's AeroPlan. Its been reviewed favorably as another star alliance options for FF'ers. On knock that I've observed on US is that redemptions for non US metal can be a challenge sometimes.

joining UA/CO FF is almost certainly going to guarantee you will be visiting ORD against your will!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.