Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jtet
A number of threads have been started with members asking for guidance on which mileage programme they should join. In order to help users I have started this thread to allow people to post their requests for information here and to allow people to offer assistance.

For members asking for information please help people to assist you, can you provide:

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc)
(7) Preferred Airlines
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)

GENERAL INFORMATION:

If you fly less than 50k miles per year: it is almost guaranteed that your choice will be between Aegean Airlines, Turkish Airlines, and Asiana Airlines. Please look up these airlines' frequent flier programs, and make a decision as to which best suits your needs.

Some considerations to take into account:

Airlines tend to treat members of their own frequent flier program better than members of other frequent flier programs. If you fly one of these airlines, it is recommended that you choose that airline.

Some airlines have better earning/redemption charts for your pattern. For example, if you fly on cheap fares on a certain airline often, Turkish might give you miles for it, while Aegean might not. However, Turkish Airlines might charge much more for the redemption that you want to make than Aegean.

Asiana Airlines offers lifetime Star Alliance Gold for 500k miles over life. The other 2 airlines do not offer this benefit.

Asiana Airlines has a credit card in the USA and some other countries. If you are interested in credit cards, check to make sure that the program that you join has a credit card in your country.
If you still aren't sure which frequent flyer program is for you after looking these up, feel free to ask on this thread.
Print Wikipost

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2017, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.)LON
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.)Either cheapest Y or sometimes cheapest J
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)150k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc)UA 1K and MM so *A lifetime Gold
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)Good award earning and redemption.
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc)LON to SFO, LON to HKG, LON to Europe
(7) Preferred AirlinesNone
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)Trips to USA are for work, others for pleasure.

I find I go well over the 100k miles to earn UA 1K and either hit, or just miss 150K. The two extra GPUs are not much use to me. So I'm looking for another *A airline to which I can credit non-UA flights which will offer decent earn and burn rates. Because I'm already *G, that is of no relevance.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
As you live in USA point 5 leads to UA
Hard to get miles into an non USA Star Alliance ffp with a USA credit card, but look in credit card forums. May be some
I think my options in regards to putting miles in from credit cards are Aeroplane (which will be defunct in a few years), United or ANA. I have been thinking about using ANA as their J product is superior and from what I've heard it has good TPAC redemptions on a great product. But I am not too familiar with *A mileage plans and was wondering if anyone had insight on this.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:31 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by safari ari
(1) What is your home airport? DEN
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy? Economy, intl J discount
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 50-75k, but about ~10k on *Alliance carriers a year
Denver, and >50k miles; United. Will have to give you AS and B6 though.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: AC E
Aeroplan or Mileage Plus?

I fly mostly to US destinations, mixing in trips to Toronto and Calgary. A couple of overseas returns each year.

To get convenient times and affordable business class to my US destinations I end up on American and Delta enough to get Silver or better. American also gets me Alaska which is helpful. At least 2 trips to Anchorage, and can depart from SeaTac sometimes.

I used to fly AC a lot more, so I'm still Aeroplan, but I suspect I should switch to Mileage Plus...

(1) What is your home airport? YVR
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ?
UA - cheap business class fares
AC - tango plus, occasionally cheap business
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year?
Over 75k and under 100k on these 2 airlines.
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? Aeroplan Elite 50k; American Aadvantage Gold, almost certainly will hit Platinum by year end; will hit Delta Skymiles Gold Medallion in Sept.

(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? easy upgrades, reward rate
(6) Which routes do you fly most often -see above. 6+ trips to OMA only unusual part of the mix
(7) Preferred Airlines - Delta when I can get it
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Work 95%)
Old Jul 23, 2017, 7:55 pm

I currently have no Star alliance allegiance, however have an upcoming trip where most flights will be on Star alliance carriers. I might as well get some benefit from the travel, if I can.

Phuket - Bangkok - Econ, Thai
Bangkok - Phuket - Business, Thai
Phuket - Hong Kong - Business, Thai
Melbourne - Perth - Econ, Virgin Australia as SAA
Perth - Joburg - Econ, SAA
Joburg - Durban - Econ, SAA
Joburg - Istanbul - Lisbon - Business, Turkish
Lisbon - Malaga - Econ, Iberia
Malaga - Amsterdam - Econ, Vueling
London Heathrow - Melbourne - Business, Thai

With a mix of Business and economy flights, I might get something I can use in the future. My priority would be Gold and award flights, if possible.

I would appreciate your advice on a program to join.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 10:14 am

>> LHR
>> Econ, occasionally Prem Econ
>> 25K-50K
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc)
>> BAEC BRZ (Over 350K points, over 3750 lifetime tier points). Points with Miles & More, Fly Blue, Virgin.
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
>> Upgrades, lounge access, priority
>> Travel between UK and Europe, Latin America and USA in that order
(7) Preferred Airlines
>> None in particular - disillusioned with BA, KLM, AF, AA, LUFT
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)
>> Business, occasionally pleasure

I've been a long term hoarder of BA points but the BAEC and standards of service of late have been awful. Looking for better options.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
BCN Based flyer

First post to *A forum, and look forward to the collective wisdom of the forum.

Long time ago had Travelclub status on SwissAir, then M&M Silver status. Now for many years have rarely flown *A.
Doing more flying nowadays, mostly on OW (BA GCH); however, looking for a *A programme for the times when I can't get a suitable OW fare.
Further, since we can often find good deals on EK, would like a place to park miles earned on EK, rather than join the lousy skywards

(1) What is your home airport?
- BCN, and MAD as an alternate, often positioning elsewhere for best deals

- nearly always J on the best possible deals

- 25-50K

(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it?
- None on *A

- upgrades,
- good award redemption

- intra-EU 4-5/year,
- EU-USA 1-2/year,
- Asia 1-2/year,
- Southern Africa 1 every 2 years

(7) Preferred Airlines
- LH/LX only other *A I have flown is TK and SA
- Outside *A, EK and QR

(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure?
- Both, self-employed, I pay for my own tickets and can choose the airline, class and route

thanks!
Old Aug 2, 2017, 7:33 pm

Programs: M&M, BA EC, Delta, Hilton, Accor, IHG
Question Identifying best SA* FF for spouse

(1) What is your home airport? HAM / BRU
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.) Varies due to company policy: K, L, Y - discounted up to full fare economy.
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? Not sure yet. Many segments likely
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? No
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? lounge access, good award redemption, priority services
(6) Which routes do you fly most often: European - HAM-BRU and HAM-LON
(7) Preferred Airlines: Brussels Airlines, LH, BA
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Both. Choice usually Check&Go on Brussels. Otherwise BA/LH economy as available.

My OH is relocating to Hamburg and will be making regular trips back to Brussels - on average every 2-3 weeks. Also occasional trips to London. Some will be work and some personal. At the moment it looks likely that the vast majority of the flights will be with Brussels Airlines. When travelling for work she is usually required to travel on the lowest fare, Check&Go, occasionally Light&Relax. Due to the regularity of travel it may be possible to build up segments quickly.

I've already run through the forums and checked the programs but not so easy to find a clear decision on which S* would be best. It looks like either M&M or A3, but maybe another is better?

So far see some pros and cons:
Miles&More: Pro: Status miles for the largest range of booking classes. Can qualify on segments. Con: However runs on calendar year so would likely lose the benefit of the initial flurry of travel in the next 3 months due to relocation, advance trips etc.
Aegean: Con: Earning excludes some of the Economy booking classes that she is required to use. Pro: Lower earning levels required for status. Counts over a full year period. Con: No possibility to earn based on segments.
Anyone able to help me to see things clearer? Thanks!
Old Aug 2, 2017, 10:57 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by britflyer1976
(1) What is your home airport? HAM / BRU
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.) Varies due to company policy: K, L, Y - discounted up to full fare economy.
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? Not sure yet. Many segments likely
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? No
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? lounge access, good award redemption, priority services
(6) Which routes do you fly most often: European - HAM-BRU and HAM-LON
(7) Preferred Airlines: Brussels Airlines, LH, BA
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Both. Choice usually Check&Go on Brussels. Otherwise BA/LH economy as available.

My OH is relocating to Hamburg and will be making regular trips back to Brussels - on average every 2-3 weeks. Also occasional trips to London. Some will be work and some personal. At the moment it looks likely that the vast majority of the flights will be with Brussels Airlines. When travelling for work she is usually required to travel on the lowest fare, Check&Go, occasionally Light&Relax. Due to the regularity of travel it may be possible to build up segments quickly.

I've already run through the forums and checked the programs but not so easy to find a clear decision on which S* would be best. It looks like either M&M or A3, but maybe another is better?

So far see some pros and cons:
Miles&More: Pro: Status miles for the largest range of booking classes. Can qualify on segments. Con: However runs on calendar year so would likely lose the benefit of the initial flurry of travel in the next 3 months due to relocation, advance trips etc.
Aegean: Con: Earning excludes some of the Economy booking classes that she is required to use. Pro: Lower earning levels required for status. Counts over a full year period. Con: No possibility to earn based on segments.
Anyone able to help me to see things clearer? Thanks!
If you fly that often but your routes are that short, you should definitely use Miles and More. You need 30 segments on Lufthansa group (including Brussels) airlines to earn *S, which on LH group flights will give you almost everything partner *G would. You'll get priority everything, and even lounge access. But again, those benefits only apply to LH group flights if you're a *S with M&M.

LH group flights are otherwise tough to credit to other programs, as the cheap economy fares earn 0-25% in most programs. So I would stick with M&M under your patterns.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 1:57 am

Would appreciate some advice here as I haven't flown Star Alliance regularly in over 10 years... I have 2 trips coming up later this year that I would like to credit to the right program:

YYC - YVR - TPE on a P fare (AC)
TPE - BKK on a D fare (BR)
ICN - YVR - YYC on a P Fare (AC)
YVR - TYO - SYD return on a Z fare (NH)

(1) What is your home airport?
YYC

(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ?
Short Haul - cheapest economy
Long Haul - P/Z (discounted business)

(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year?
25k-50k

(4) Do you have any kind of status at present?
FB Silver

(5) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Good award redemption rates

(6) Which routes do you fly most often
US / Canada
TATL

(7) Preferred Airlines
In Star Alliance, none at this point

(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure?
Pleasure
Old Aug 9, 2017, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by YYCCL3
Would appreciate some advice here as I haven't flown Star Alliance regularly in over 10 years... I have 2 trips coming up later this year that I would like to credit to the right program:

YYC - YVR - TPE on a P fare (AC)
TPE - BKK on a D fare (BR)
ICN - YVR - YYC on a P Fare (AC)
YVR - TYO - SYD return on a Z fare (NH)
Your best bet is probably UA. If you're after status try calculating for OZ or SK, you could make gold very quickly.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 7:34 am

For the last 10 years, I have been churning United cards, so I've always defaulted to using United as my default FFP, but with me being out here in Singapore and with a RTW trip in plan for next year, I figured this would be a good time to start to ask these questions!

SIN

Economy;
When flying within this region, will usually utilize the budget airlines like jetstar, scoot, tiger

Usually slightly less than 25k.
However, my gf and I are planning a RTW trip for next summer, so assuming we get a *A rtw ticket, my initial ticket research shows that we'll be flying about 34k miles on the ticket, notwithstanding any additional flights we will use within continents.

None

Good award redemption rates and upgrades. Currently have lounge access via credit cards, so that's not a big deal at the moment.

Most often is within South East Asia, but since I am from Hawaii, I will definitely have a minimum of one trip back to Hawaii to visit family per year.

(7) Preferred Airlines
None - whichever is cheapest.

Pleasure
Old Aug 12, 2017, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by goodtasting
For the last 10 years, I have been churning United cards, so I've always defaulted to using United as my default FFP, but with me being out here in Singapore and with a RTW trip in plan for next year, I figured this would be a good time to start to ask these questions!

SIN

Economy;
When flying within this region, will usually utilize the budget airlines like jetstar, scoot, tiger

Usually slightly less than 25k.
However, my gf and I are planning a RTW trip for next summer, so assuming we get a *A rtw ticket, my initial ticket research shows that we'll be flying about 34k miles on the ticket, notwithstanding any additional flights we will use within continents.

None

Good award redemption rates and upgrades. Currently have lounge access via credit cards, so that's not a big deal at the moment.

Most often is within South East Asia, but since I am from Hawaii, I will definitely have a minimum of one trip back to Hawaii to visit family per year.

(7) Preferred Airlines
None - whichever is cheapest.

Pleasure
If you want to base status off of that trip, we need to know what theaun carriers will be. Who you fly can make a big difference in earnings for each program.
goodtasting likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 5:53 am

Smile Flying to Asia 1x per month from SFO/SJC

(1) What is your home airport? SFO/SJC
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy? Cheapest!
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? Usually 50k, but will now be closer to 100k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? Alaska MVP Gold
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Good award earning and redemption.
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? SFO/SJC to any Asian hub
(7) Preferred Airlines? None
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Pleasure

I've noticed that ANA, as of late, has been giving me the cheapest fares to Asia from SFO/SJC; however, I am not sure where to credit those miles. I will be flying from SFO/SJC to Asia once a month and I am not particular to the Asian hub. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old Aug 24, 2017, 3:48 pm

Hi all

I'm currently oneworld sapphire with BA (silver) but I'm considering switching alliances. Im based in Dublin & generally fly transatlantic business about twice per year which usually renews my status. I fly a few European short hops in Y on top of that. So which star carrier would be best for me to credit to to earn status? Currently AC, UA, TK, SK, LH, LX fly from DUB but that's not to say I have to credit to them. I suppose I'd like to reach Gold as lounge access is important to me and was previously Gold with BD

​​​​​​​Thanks for the advice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.