Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jtet
A number of threads have been started with members asking for guidance on which mileage programme they should join. In order to help users I have started this thread to allow people to post their requests for information here and to allow people to offer assistance.

For members asking for information please help people to assist you, can you provide:

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc)
(7) Preferred Airlines
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)

GENERAL INFORMATION:

If you fly less than 50k miles per year: it is almost guaranteed that your choice will be between Aegean Airlines, Turkish Airlines, and Asiana Airlines. Please look up these airlines' frequent flier programs, and make a decision as to which best suits your needs.

Some considerations to take into account:

Airlines tend to treat members of their own frequent flier program better than members of other frequent flier programs. If you fly one of these airlines, it is recommended that you choose that airline.

Some airlines have better earning/redemption charts for your pattern. For example, if you fly on cheap fares on a certain airline often, Turkish might give you miles for it, while Aegean might not. However, Turkish Airlines might charge much more for the redemption that you want to make than Aegean.

Asiana Airlines offers lifetime Star Alliance Gold for 500k miles over life. The other 2 airlines do not offer this benefit.

Asiana Airlines has a credit card in the USA and some other countries. If you are interested in credit cards, check to make sure that the program that you join has a credit card in your country.
If you still aren't sure which frequent flyer program is for you after looking these up, feel free to ask on this thread.
Print Wikipost

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2015, 4:08 am

Currently put all my miles to LH, but don't think this is really smart, so seeking advice.

(1) What is your home airport?
AMS
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy?
Cheapest available
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year?
25k-50k, <25 sectors
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it?
Will get FlyingBlue Silver this year, none in *A
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Free or discounted lounge access, upgrades and award redemption with minimum extra cash spent
(6) Which routes do you fly most often?
~70% intra-Europe, ~30% transcontinental with no particular pattern
(7) Preferred Airlines
I like LH, LX (although their long-haul planes are quite old) and ANA.
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure?
Full freedom here, no work-related travelling.

Thanks in advance, dear FTs!
Old Sep 2, 2015, 1:12 pm

Hey All, I am considering switching to *A from Delta SkyTeam. I am Gold Medallion on skyteam now, and will be taking four more trips (at least two business) between WAS and ACC this year. I may also have a trip from WAS to JNB as well. Thats about 10K miles each trip which is ~ 40-50K miles for the rest of the year.

I am interested in points redemption to off the beaten path countries, then intl business upgrades, then lounge access. Any recommendations for which *A program to join?

Thanks! JKB
----
Can you provide:

(1) What is your home airport? DCA or IAD
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Z, K, and Y
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 50-75k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? Delta Gold (looking to switch given south african air's direct IAD-ACC flights)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Good award redemption rates, then Frequent upgrades on travel (int'l upgrades?!)
(6) Which routes do you fly most often Trans-Atlantic
(7) Preferred Airlines SA, AC, and United domestically
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Work mostly. Can choose the airline, usually a mix of fare types, but often economy or economy comfort with 2-3 business transatlantic per year
Old Sep 2, 2015, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jesseboat
Hey All, I am considering switching to *A from Delta SkyTeam. I am Gold Medallion on skyteam now, and will be taking four more trips (at least two business) between WAS and ACC this year. I may also have a trip from WAS to JNB as well. Thats about 10K miles each trip which is ~ 40-50K miles for the rest of the year.

I am interested in points redemption to off the beaten path countries, then intl business upgrades, then lounge access. Any recommendations for which *A program to join?
----
Can you provide:

(1) What is your home airport? DCA or IAD
United.
USA based airline ffp's are far more genenerous for earn/burn/award cost/award co payment fees/upgrades than non USA airline ffp's

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html
Old Sep 6, 2015, 11:10 am

Programs: Aeroplan, American, Delta, Alaska, Southwest, Jet Blue, Chase Sapphire, SPG, Hilton Honors
Advice on Which Star Alliance FF Program Appreciated

Hello, This is my first post as a newbie, so I hope, first of all that I am doing this correctly and in the correct location.

Ok ...with all the down grades and changes in programs, I am really confused regarding which program will give me the biggest " bang for the buck"
I travel now between 25-50 k a year...would like to do more, but that's it at present

Home airport is ROC... Our main hubs are either Toronto or New York. I also have family in Washington and Boston, so we sometimes combine a visit there with a transatlantic trip.

At this point, due to the lower miles, we usually fly the lowest economy fare that we can find and don't end up earning a lot of " metal" qualifying miles. However if I can find a way to boost miles earnings, I would love to be able to upgrade to business class in the future.

As things are now I would say that easily/low redemptions awards are the most important, followed by lounge access and then upgrades.

We fly usually one to two times a year for pleasure to either Europe or South America, and then also within the USA about 5 times ( at least...often more). My husband also goes to an occasional international conference, and I may tag along on my own ticket. However, our daughter lives South Korea and we are likely to be visiting her next year. We have some aspirational trips to take in the future ( Africa on Safari, India, Patagonia) as we are about 3 years--5 years away from retirement. We are on a school/ teachers schedule, so I am freer to try some mileage runs to boost miles in the summer ( just got interested in this) or on school holidays. I absolutely love to travel, my husband is a little more reluctant... I actually really like airports and him...not so much, but he is ok once we get there! He'd be much better about going if I could accrue enough miles to fly business and have lounge access. Me...I will basically travel anywhere and don't mind the travel time so much...just love new places and cultures.

No preferred airlines. However, Toronto is more pleasant and has less weather delays than New York. ...Summer and Winter. If we drive we can see a show, go into town for a nice dinner, and then leave the car at the hotel for free during the trip.If we fly through Boston, we can see our grandson, and stay overnight no cost, so that works too. Similar in DC., with family to stay with overnight.

Most of my points right now are stuck with Delta. However, we do accrue a lot with Chase Sapphire. I also just got the SPG Amex card with the 30 K bonus.
Thinking that I will use the SPG card for Star Alliance transfers. I have some United and Asiana flights right now that I need to deposit somewhere..Have not yet settled on a main program.,

So...not sure if there is a good Star Alliance choice for me. We often will take an inexpensive Air Canada flight to wherever in Europe and then use cheap inter-Europe airlines for connections.

I initially thought that Aeroplan, although devalued, might still be good. ...or at least the best of a bad bunch given where we are situated. Looks like they will further devalue short flights to a 250 mile from 500 mile in 2016. This might be still if they continue to have some airlines with which there are no ridiculous fuel surcharges. We would not be redeeming on Air Canada because of the fuel costs, but there are currently some options, like United without a fuel surcharge.

Another idea would be to go with British Air and accrue some Avios to offset the cost of short haul flights within Europe. We can often get there cheaply, but using a avios would allow us to have an inexpensive " connected" itinerary without the worry re lost connections that cheap European airlines present. Also could use Avios to get to London from Boston very reasonably.

Or.. We could go with either Asian or Agean. However, I'm do not want to deal with huge fuel surcharges.

Sorry for the really long post...any advice would be helpful and much appreciated!
Old Sep 6, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Painterlady Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by Painterlady
Hello, This is my first post as a newbie, so I hope, first of all that I am doing this correctly and in the correct location.

Ok ...with all the down grades and changes in programs, I am really confused regarding which program will give me the biggest " bang for the buck"
I travel now between 25-50 k a year...would like to do more, but that's it at present

Home airport is ROC... Our main hubs are either Toronto or New York. I also have family in Washington and Boston, so we sometimes combine a visit there with a transatlantic trip....
I gather your main objective from a ffp is awards, preferably with low carrier imposed surcharges (These were called fuel surcharges in the past). That knocks out Aeroplan and BA (for long haul)

I note you in several programs: Aeroplan, American, Delta, Alaska, Southwest, Jet Blue. What is the balance & expiry? Having low balances in many ffp's is never a good idea. You never get enough miles to be really useful.

Alaska has AA & DL as partners http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...ePlan-partners

USA based airline ffp's tend to more generous (earn/burn/upgrades/award cost/award cash surcharges/expiry) compared to non USA based airline ffp’s.
In Star Allaince. UA is still a good ffp. Low award cost.

Can you earn miles from non flying activities? Which ffp's can those be moved to?

Another which ffp thread:- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html
Old Sep 7, 2015, 2:44 pm

Programs: British Airways Silver, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, AMEX plat
Hi everyone. I'm currently a BAEC Bronze card holder, but due to a few upcoming trips on non-OW planes I thought I'd post here asking for help as to which *A FF program to join. Any advice is appreciated.

(1) What is your home airport? GLA/EDI
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? usually discounted economy, a few times a year business.
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 25K in *A
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? no *A status but BA Bronze (OW Ruby)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Good redemption rates, and lounge access as second.
(6) Which routes do you fly most often UK to Scandinavia and Germany.
(7) Preferred Airlines. SAS or Lufthansa
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Pleasure.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 12:45 pm

Hi all, first time poster who is drawn to this site while looking at whether Miles & More is still the right FFP for me. I have been FTL for around 5 years. My answers to the standard questions follow below - any advice gratefully received. Thanks!

(1) What is your home airport? BRU, DUS, CGN
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Discount Economy
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 25-30k or 30 segments
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? Miles & More FTL
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Lounge access, upgrades
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? Belgium to various locations in Germany. USA once or twice a year. India once or twice a year
(7) Preferred Airlines - No strong feelings though have tended to fly LH & SN mostly owing to my FTL status
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Primarily business, occasionally travel for leisure with my family
Old Sep 10, 2015, 4:20 pm

I currently have almost 30K M&M, 6000 Avios, a British Airways credit card...I'm trying to find something better than M&M, at least for Star Alliance flights.

1. What is most important to you in a frequent flyer program (FFP)?
upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.
>>> Reply: good award redemption rates

2. How many miles do you usually fly each year? How many flights/sectors?
less than 25000 miles, 50000+ miles and 20-25 flights, etc.
>>> Reply: 10000-15000

3. What fare class do you usually buy?
first, business, premium economy, economy
>>> Reply: economy

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
>>> Reply: Mostly for pleasure/visiting family. I always choose the cheapest airline/class of service (excluding "weird" connections).

5. Which routes do you fly most often?
transatlantic, domestic USA, intra-Asia, etc.
>>> Reply: MUC-CTA, MUC-KRK

6. What is your home airport?
>>> Reply: MUC

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
>>> Reply: No status.
30K M&M
6K Avios

8. What are your preferred airlines, if any?
>>> Reply: No really preferred one...
Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:07 pm

Programs: TK *G Elite | Marriott Platinum | Southwest A-List Preferred | AA Gold
Originally Posted by d60k8p
Hi all, first time poster who is drawn to this site while looking at whether Miles & More is still the right FFP for me. I have been FTL for around 5 years. My answers to the standard questions follow below - any advice gratefully received. Thanks!

(1) What is your home airport? BRU, DUS, CGN
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 25-30k or 30 segments
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? Miles & More FTL
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Lounge access, upgrades
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? Belgium to various locations in Germany. USA once or twice a year. India once or twice a year
(7) Preferred Airlines - No strong feelings though have tended to fly LH & SN mostly owing to my FTL status
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Primarily business, occasionally travel for leisure with my family
If you can't break 30k, sticking with your FTL seems to be the best. That's the only *S that gets you access to LH Business Lounges. If you can manage 40k in a year, go for TK Elite. It's much less to renew- you only need 40k to qualify initially. It'll allow you into the nicer Senator Lounges and all *A lounges.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 11:53 am

Programs: united
For members asking for information please help people to assist you, can you provide:

(1) What is your home airport? RDU
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Y, E/N (Prem Econ)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 20-60k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? No current status
(5) Most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.) Good award redemption, free lounge and upgrades
(6) Which routes do you fly most often Transatlantic and domestic US
(7) Preferred Airlines - LH, UA, AA, BA (the but former 2 more affordable out of RDU)
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you choose your airlines, class of service?) I can choose airlines, but company pays for flights via concur - not sure if we'd get PQD on UA. Will be flying 4x year to Kiev via FRA/MUC mostly
Old Sep 19, 2015, 10:58 am

(1) What is your home airport? (MUC)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (whatever company travel agency books, last 5 classes were (D,Y,J,Z,Q)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (50k - 75k)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Platinum)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (lounge access, award redemption rates)
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (MUC to EWR, EU domestic)
(7) Preferred Airlines - DE based travel agency books Lufthansa as default
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (work, occasionally with family. International flights in business class)

US expat living in Germany. Currently with United FF program but my ticket class is usually not starting with 016 so I miss out on some miles. Wondering if there is another program that will get me farther or if I should just stick with United.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 12:59 pm

I recently scored a round trip LAX to Athens for 388 on Air Canada and I am trying to figure out how to maximize my miles. It is a tango fare so I know that is not as good for miles. I am new to the hobby. I am silver with Delta and have primarily flown with them the last 5 years. With the devaluation of miles I am looking to branch out. I am wondering which FF program within Star Alliance I should join to get the most bang for my buck from my upcoming Athens trip?

(1) What is your home airport? LAX
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 25-30k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? Silver Status on Delta
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Upgrades and free business class flights
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? LA to Portland 2-3 times a year. Mostly long trips to Europe, East Coast and Hawaii
(7) Preferred Airlines - Delta
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Both
Old Sep 21, 2015, 3:41 pm

Hey all,

This is my first post -- thanks in advance for your help! My big question is that I currently fly United (Platinum status) because I live in Chicago. My husband and I will be moving to Portland, OR, and I need to decide if I want to change over to a different airline. I'm thinking yes, given the devaluation of United miles and perks.

I'm looking at Alaska, given that it has a hub at PDX, but Alaska's flights are obviously more limited in routes than either Delta or American. They seem, however, to treat their customer better than either Delta or United. I know Alaska has partnerships with Delta and American, so does it make sense to go with Alaska and fly others when necessary? Or does it make more sense to go with one of the larger airlines so that I don't have to worry about not having access to perks (e.g. free upgrades) when I'm traveling across the country for work?

All input is appreciated!

--> Was ORD. Now moving over to PDX (husband got a new job)

(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ?
--> Whatever gets me from point A to B. Varies, but tends to be V, H, or S class

--> More than 75,000

--> United Platinum

--> Complimentary upgrades. Would love to gain lounge access.

(6) Which routes do you fly most often
--> Right now traveling predominently to BOS, NYC, and DFW

(7) Preferred Airlines
--> None. Not in love with United and would be open to swtiching, given a good status match program. One selling point is if the airline has a co-branded credit card that allows you to earn ELITE QUALIFYING MILES, such as American's Citi Exec card. United doesn't currently offer anything like this.

--> Mostly travel for work. Some for pleasure.

Last edited by RedRobot; Sep 21, 2015 at 3:47 pm
Old Sep 21, 2015, 5:51 pm

Hey guys/gals,

Hopefully you can help a friend of mine out. She's looking to see which *A FFP is best to join.

-->TXL/MAD

(2) What types of fares do you usually buy?
-->Cheapest available

-->Around 25k

-->None

-->Good earn/burn rates (and low co-pays).

(6) Which routes do you fly most often?
-->Some intra europe (mostly budget airlines) Some travel to the US and South America. (This year, intraAmericas on CM)

(7) Preferred Airlines
-->No preference, but probably LH/LX/OS due to location.

-->Pleasure and school/charity related

Last edited by Djokison; Sep 22, 2015 at 5:59 am
Old Sep 23, 2015, 5:30 pm

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.)
HAM

(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.)
Discount Econ

(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
>50k - usually a long trip from HAM-SYD per year plus lots of intra-Europe travel (every week for work)

(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Premier, M&M Senator etc)
Qantas Silver, Temporary (due to challenge) AA Exec Plat which I might be able to leverage for a status match to *A

(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
Lounge Access and then redemption rates

(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc)
Intra-Europe

(7) Preferred Airlines
No strong preferences but I usually have to fly Lufthansa for work every week.

(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)
A return trip with work every week within Germany (usually Lufthansa). Plus pleasure within Europe once a month or so for weekend trips and usually one or two longer holidays per year as well (e.g. Australia, Asia, US etc.) on any airlines I choose

Thanks for all your help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.