Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jtet
A number of threads have been started with members asking for guidance on which mileage programme they should join. In order to help users I have started this thread to allow people to post their requests for information here and to allow people to offer assistance.

For members asking for information please help people to assist you, can you provide:

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc)
(7) Preferred Airlines
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)

GENERAL INFORMATION:

If you fly less than 50k miles per year: it is almost guaranteed that your choice will be between Aegean Airlines, Turkish Airlines, and Asiana Airlines. Please look up these airlines' frequent flier programs, and make a decision as to which best suits your needs.

Some considerations to take into account:

Airlines tend to treat members of their own frequent flier program better than members of other frequent flier programs. If you fly one of these airlines, it is recommended that you choose that airline.

Some airlines have better earning/redemption charts for your pattern. For example, if you fly on cheap fares on a certain airline often, Turkish might give you miles for it, while Aegean might not. However, Turkish Airlines might charge much more for the redemption that you want to make than Aegean.

Asiana Airlines offers lifetime Star Alliance Gold for 500k miles over life. The other 2 airlines do not offer this benefit.

Asiana Airlines has a credit card in the USA and some other countries. If you are interested in credit cards, check to make sure that the program that you join has a credit card in your country.
If you still aren't sure which frequent flyer program is for you after looking these up, feel free to ask on this thread.
Print Wikipost

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2015, 2:36 am

Programs: QR Platinum (Oneworld Emerald), AZ Freccia Alata (Skyteam Gold), Shangri-La GC (Jade)
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
For earn to burn hard and low award co payment fees hard to go past USA airline ffp’s.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...demptions.html

In the major 3 alliances award availability is nominally the same, but each ffp can have better award availability for their own freq flyers, especially if you have top level status.
Thanks Mwenenzi.
Would you suggest that I stick to United?
Old May 8, 2015, 4:19 pm

Programs: A3*G
(1) DUS, CGN, FRA

(2) A3*G (but probably can't keep it. Status match to TK? Copa? Unlikely to renew..)

(3) Deep discount economy.

(4) Mostly UA/LH, some SK/TP
2x+/yr: EU<->EWR/SFO/ORD. 1x: Asia/Africa/Latin.Am. Rare inter-EU.

(5) 20-40k (often one RT/yr isn't *A, i.e. when BA/AA/AF/EK cost half as much.)

(6) Mostly personal, bought as cheaply as possible.

(7) I used to get a free transatlantic from MileagePlus every so often (with CC help), I'd like to make sure the miles I fly can be redeemed some day. (0-50% accrual sucks.)

It seems like perhaps I should be accruing on Kris and prefer UA over LH?

Any reason to consider Copa(?), TK or Asiana? Stick with MileagePlus and fly partners?
Old May 13, 2015, 11:01 am

Question

Hi all,

I recently have needed to travel a lot for work. Mostly within Asia (Japan -> Taiwan/China) on the cheapest economy fare available, but occasionally Japan->US business class.

Being based in Japan, I naturally chose ANA, and got an affiliated credit card. But I am still at the lowest membership level.

However, I am now wondering if this was the best move, especially when considering the potential earning of my transpacific flights. It seems for expensive flights such as these, ANA earning doesn't come close to United, with it's fare based system. At the base level membership, a $4K Z-class return flight to the US earns 20k miles with United, where as with ANA it doesn't even earn 13K. At max membership level things are no better with 44k vs 28k.

For cheap flights the two are closer, but then the earning is anyway much less.

Am I missing something? Why the big discrepancy? What is the main advantage of ANA? Do you think I should switch?

Thanks!
Q

--------------------------------

HND/NRT
The cheapest (M, S), occasionally Z
>50k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Premier, M&M Senator etc)
No
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
Priority service and upgrades
Within Asia, occasionally transpacific
(7) Preferred Airlines
ANA?
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)
Work, can choose airline provided the price is similar
Old May 14, 2015, 4:42 am

SIN
J/F/C
50k++
SQ KF
Priority Sevices + Easy Upgrades
Inside asia, Transpacific twice a year + asia-eu rarely
SQ J and F. These short flights do not give enough miles for PPS
Pleasure
Old May 25, 2015, 11:29 am

Programs: EK, Tam Fidelidade, M&M
Aeroplan or Miles and More

Hopefully someone can help me :-) I'm a M&M FF, and am in doubt wthether I'd join Aeroplan, as my grifriend lives in Canada, and M&M doesn't seem to be very good for awards and reaching status

(1) What is your home airport? (Brussels)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (economy for leisure, business for business)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? >50K
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (Tam Red - One World saphire, M&M FF, EK Platinum)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (good award redemption rates and rules, free lounge access)
(6) Which routes do you fly most often Varies a lot. Within Europe for work, from Europe to Canada and South America for pleasure. My girlfriend lives in Canada so it would be good to get good deals for awards to fly between europe and Toronto
(7) Preferred Airlines
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Mostly for work, usually Brussels Airlines and Lufthansa, eventually BA, Air France, KLM, Emirates
Old May 27, 2015, 3:09 am

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer! I've been a oneworld flyer for years but wondering if it's worth switching especially since I'm finding BA leaves a lot to be desired lately

(1) What is your home airport? London
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Discount economy for shorthaul, premium economy or, very occasionally, deep discount business for longhaul if the price is right
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? ~75,000
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? BA Silver/oneworld sapphire, their middle tier
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Lounge access, decent shorthaul redemption rates for travel within Europe without exorbitant surcharges, occasional ability to upgrade longhaul
(6) Which routes do you fly most often Mix of intra-Europe shorthaul from London, plus a couple TATL and one or two flights to Southeast Asia per year
(7) Preferred Airlines LH is an approved carrier for intra-Europe work flights; for personal longhauls I'm happy to shop around for the best price
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Both; work must be in lowest available economy but approved carriers across all three alliances; personal travel is flexible and more price-sensitive
Old May 28, 2015, 3:42 am

not sure where to post this.
I am QF Platinum (One World emerald), and lifetime gold. I want to switch to Star Alliance- I am in Australia, so they have a lot more airlines and choices. QF has cut back a lot.
my question; between TG and SQ- any preference? do either give lifetime status, or if you travel, you earn- otherwise forget about you?
Old May 28, 2015, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thepointyend Welcome to FT
This thread does not get many responces
Have a look here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html
As you are QF gold consider crediting QF, CX flights etc to AA. Far better earn to burn and no award surcharges, unless a BA flight
Old May 29, 2015, 1:39 am

Which *A FF Program

Hi,
I recently started flying a lot again and I will have about 5-6 long haul flights in the next 3 months.
As the company pays we usually don't book the cheapest ticket to have the option to change or cancel, so % of miles is usually ok.
I always used to credit my miles to LH, but the next flights got me thinking that i can make about 50-60K miles but I am sure I won't make 100K.
I saw that for 50K you can get Gold status with UA or SG, even less with Aegean (I can probably make that 4 flights with A3 happen as well).
I also saw that UA credit 100% on Q fare for example, which means i can have 15K miles in my next trip alone, LH only credits 50%, I also have some M fare which are 100% on both...

Please let me know if I am going with the right decision here...

Thanks,
Ziv
Old Jun 4, 2015, 10:51 am

Going:
YVR -> YUL
YUL-> CDG
(Air Canada)

Hertz rental car for 1 week

Coming back:
NCE -> ZRH
ZRH -> YVR
(Swiss Air)

Total trip is about 22,000-24,000 miles each.

I have been considering Aseana as the possible best option as I can get my better half in on the point collection with their family option.

I think this will get me diamond for 4 years right off the back?
Old Jun 7, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: TK *G Elite | Marriott Platinum | Southwest A-List Preferred | AA Gold
(1) Home Airport? SNA, LAX
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy? Usually inexpensive ones, or premium economy/comfort.
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? approx. 30-35k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? TK Classic Plus (*S)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Priority Service, Lounge, Upgrades
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? Domestic (Transcontinental), some International (LAX - IST)
(7) Preferred Airlines? Turkish Airlines, United Airlines, Lufthansa, Air Canada
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Pleasure
Old Jun 9, 2015, 6:35 pm

-----

Last edited by choc; Jul 27, 2015 at 1:06 am
Old Jun 10, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Deleted

Last edited by zpaul; Jul 2, 2015 at 2:13 pm Reason: No answers
Old Jun 25, 2015, 10:10 am

Hi all!
(1) What is your home airport? FLR
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? K and similar lowest cost fares
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? >50k, even if it's difficult to understand it because I never get 100% of them
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? Miles&More Frequent Traveller
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Fast Track and priority everything, free lounge access, good award fares
(6) Which routes do you fly most often European trough Germany, Japan, Canada
(7) Preferred Airlines Lufthansa (haven't tried a lot the others, just didn't liked a lot Air Canada and Brussel Airlines)
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Both, I can choose my Airline, but priority is getting the cheapest ticket

I'm really happy to have reached Miles&More Frequent traveller with 30 flights in less than 6 months. What concerns me is that I never get a lot of Miles out of my flights, and I would really like to reach *AG to have priority and fast track, and access to all the lounges around the world.

Advices? I won't surely reach M&M Senator, because I never get full miles.

Thanks!
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:16 am

Programs: QF Platium(OWE)/CX Diamond(OWE)/SPG Platium/Marriott Titanium/Hyatt Globalist/Accor Platium/
SQ/OZ

HKG
MAINLY C, might do few sectors Y
25-50k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Premier, M&M Senator etc)
No
Priority service & lounge access,
Within Asia, occasionally HKG to Europe
(7) Preferred Airlines
SQ
PLEASURE

Mainly looking for the fastest way to achieve *G. Already booked SQ on C to Europe in this summer. Any suggestion?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.