Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jtet
A number of threads have been started with members asking for guidance on which mileage programme they should join. In order to help users I have started this thread to allow people to post their requests for information here and to allow people to offer assistance.

For members asking for information please help people to assist you, can you provide:

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc)
(7) Preferred Airlines
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)

GENERAL INFORMATION:

If you fly less than 50k miles per year: it is almost guaranteed that your choice will be between Aegean Airlines, Turkish Airlines, and Asiana Airlines. Please look up these airlines' frequent flier programs, and make a decision as to which best suits your needs.

Some considerations to take into account:

Airlines tend to treat members of their own frequent flier program better than members of other frequent flier programs. If you fly one of these airlines, it is recommended that you choose that airline.

Some airlines have better earning/redemption charts for your pattern. For example, if you fly on cheap fares on a certain airline often, Turkish might give you miles for it, while Aegean might not. However, Turkish Airlines might charge much more for the redemption that you want to make than Aegean.

Asiana Airlines offers lifetime Star Alliance Gold for 500k miles over life. The other 2 airlines do not offer this benefit.

Asiana Airlines has a credit card in the USA and some other countries. If you are interested in credit cards, check to make sure that the program that you join has a credit card in your country.
If you still aren't sure which frequent flyer program is for you after looking these up, feel free to ask on this thread.
Print Wikipost

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2015, 4:02 pm

@Wilzor

The recent changes suggest that Aegan is no longer as cheap as OZ and TK unless you fly Aegan flights. I would suggest OZ or TK if you are looking to earn gold quickly.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Dhairyamodi
@Wilzor

The recent changes suggest that Aegan is no longer as cheap as OZ and TK unless you fly Aegan flights. I would suggest OZ or TK if you are looking to earn gold quickly.
.. and TP has just reduced its requirements for Gold, and no TP sector requirements. Not so sure about the rest of the programme's structure - I think miles have a three-year life whatever status you hold .
Old Feb 19, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: BA, UA, DL
(1) What is your home airport?
FRA

Mostly Q,V,W, sometimes Y or B

If I only knew (just got the job). Maybe between 20 and 30k.

(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it?
No. I've collected some points with UA. But I don't fly UA, just chose it for the nice expiration policy they have. What sucks is that I'll never have a status because of segment requirements.

(5) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Earning a lot of points to book/upgrade long-haul trips. If possible get status to earn more points. Status perks are more like nice-to-have for me. Lounges can come in handy.

(6) Which routes do you fly most often?
Business: Within Europe. Mostly Central and Eastern Europe.
Leisure: pretty much everywhere. Roughly planned are South Africa, Australia, South America

(7) Preferred Airlines:
I mostly fly LH and AB. There will be more LO, RO, OK in the future.

(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure?
Mostly work-related. I have choice of Airlines but not class of travel. It's always Econ.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 9:35 am

Dhairyamodi, IAN: Thanks for the replys. For me it would not be a problem to fly that 4 segment on Aegean which required. Although, the Turkish program seems to be the most attractive if I think about my planned future trips... The TK has great connections from my city in C2. I think I would go for star gold on TK.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 4:14 am

Programs: M&M,HH Gold,Accor Plat.,Priority Club Plat. Ambassador,Club Carlson Gold,Marriott Gold,GHA Plat.
New *A FF Program to Choose!

Hi!
I'm here because I've to choose a new *A mileage program that allows me to maximize my mileage.

At the moment I've a LH FF status, which will expire in 1 month. I've been gold in the last years, then I've been downgraded to FF and lately I don't fly enough to qualify for any status (due to discounted tkts or distance).

Therefore I need something that allows me to earn at least the FF status, providing me, first of all lounge access and a good program to make a redemption (in the last years with LH's Miles More has been quite impossible to book an award flight to US or Asia, during the summer period!).

So here is the description:

(1) What is your home airport? (LHR, VCE)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Y, but probably i should have some Biz flights in the next 12 months.
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 15000-30000
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? No (expiring)
What is it? M&M FF
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? In the order: lounge access,
flights redemption during summer, upgrades.
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? (Intra EU, EU-US, EU-Asia)
(7) Preferred Airlines: LH, LX
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? 50% - 50%

I was trying to considering Asiana for its 20.000 miles Gold status ( =*A Silver) and the long time for mileage expiration (10y)!

Thanks for your support!

Last edited by Paul4Travel; Feb 22, 2015 at 4:25 am
Old Feb 22, 2015, 3:13 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Paul4Travel
Hi!
I'm here because I've to choose a new *A mileage program that allows me to maximize my mileage.

At the moment I've a LH FF status, which will expire in 1 month. I've been gold in the last years, then I've been downgraded to FF and lately I don't fly enough to qualify for any status (due to discounted tkts or distance).

Therefore I need something that allows me to earn at least the FF status, providing me, first of all lounge access and a good program to make a redemption (in the last years with LH's Miles More has been quite impossible to book an award flight to US or Asia, during the summer period!).

So here is the description:

(1) What is your home airport? (LHR, VCE)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Y, but probably i should have some Biz flights in the next 12 months.
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 15000-30000
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? No (expiring)
What is it? M&M FF
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? In the order: lounge access,
flights redemption during summer, upgrades.
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? (Intra EU, EU-US, EU-Asia)
(7) Preferred Airlines: LH, LX
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? 50% - 50%

I was trying to considering Asiana for its 20.000 miles Gold status ( =*A Silver) and the long time for mileage expiration (10y)!

Thanks for your support!
For lounge access, you need OZ Diamond (*A Gold), which is achievable with 40k miles / 2 years.

On LX, the miles redemption rate is now 100% only for Y, B, M, U, H, G (they downgraded 4 classes to 50% in Jan 2014).
On LH, it's similar, 100% only for Y, B, M, U, H, G, E, N.

Some classes have no miles as well. So you would have to factor that into account when looking for miles calculation and status.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 4:57 pm

Programs: M&M,HH Gold,Accor Plat.,Priority Club Plat. Ambassador,Club Carlson Gold,Marriott Gold,GHA Plat.
Originally Posted by Gasolin
For lounge access, you need OZ Diamond (*A Gold), which is achievable with 40k miles / 2 years.

On LX, the miles redemption rate is now 100% only for Y, B, M, U, H, G (they downgraded 4 classes to 50% in Jan 2014).
On LH, it's similar, 100% only for Y, B, M, U, H, G, E, N.

Some classes have no miles as well. So you would have to factor that into account when looking for miles calculation and status.
Correct assumption. That's the main problem.
With MM nowadays many classes don't qualify anymore or qualify only for a fixed mileage amount: intra EU, often, with LH I've recived 125 + 125 miles miles for a 500€ tkt.That's a shame! This is one of the reasons I wanna switch MM to something else. The main advantage of OZ is the mileage expiration: 10-12 years!

What I'm wondering is: which is the best program to fastest earn lounge access through status?

And,

talking about OZ, how much availability can you find during the summer period for awards flights EU-US or EU-Asia?
Old Feb 22, 2015, 8:03 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Paul4Travel
Correct assumption. That's the main problem.
With MM nowadays many classes don't qualify anymore or qualify only for a fixed mileage amount: intra EU, often, with LH I've recived 125 + 125 miles miles for a 500€ tkt.That's a shame! This is one of the reasons I wanna switch MM to something else. The main advantage of OZ is the mileage expiration: 10-12 years!

What I'm wondering is: which is the best program to fastest earn lounge access through status?

And,

talking about OZ, how much availability can you find during the summer period for awards flights EU-US or EU-Asia?
Well personally, I still believe OZ is good for lounge access if your redemption rates with partners is fine. It's my case in the US with UA/AC but definitely not yours with LH/LX/TK.

When I was in Europe, it didn't seem to bad but I rarely got 100% rates when flying coach due to company policies.

For redemption in summer, I don't know actually... I only redeemed in spring the EU/KR route before.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by Gasolin
Well personally, I still believe OZ is good for lounge access if your redemption rates with partners is fine. It's my case in the US with UA/AC but definitely not yours with LH/LX/TK.

When I was in Europe, it didn't seem to bad but I rarely got 100% rates when flying coach due to company policies.

For redemption in summer, I don't know actually... I only redeemed in spring the EU/KR route before.
What I appreciate is the 10-12y of mileage validity! with LH they expire soon (3y) except if you use their credit card (which is not so good!).

Anyway seems that the *A lounge access is not so easy to reach as it may seem. Do you have any alternative to OZ?
Old Feb 25, 2015, 7:37 pm

(1) SYD airport Australia
(2) Usually buy cheap domestic fares
(3) last year about 30,000 but planning trip to Europe this year and USA next
(4) No status
(5) Looking for upgrades on travel and good award redemption rates. My mate in the states has FF card and flew to visit me 1st class for $45!
(6) SYD - MEL , SYD - LAX
(7) Long haul trip I would like to fly Emirates, and like Virgin as well
(8) Pleasure

I am a proper newbie with this. Me and my gf are flying SYD to barcelona, Copenhagen to SYD this September and have no idea what CC can help us with gaining points or making this trip cheaper. I have no CC currently with any FF rewards/points.

Cheers,

John
Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:22 am

Best Star Alliance program for UK-based traveller

Hi folks,

I'm fairly new to this frequent flyer malarkey so any advice much appreciated. I'm based in Manchester, UK (MAN).

Over last 12 months I did quite a bit of travel, all in economy, including:
MAN>LAX via LHR, 3 times (twice on BA, once on Virgin)
MAN>Hong Kong on KLM
MAN>Beijing (Air China one way, BA return)
4 other internal China flights via various operators
MAN>Athens via Frankfurt on Lufthansa

I haven't yet claimed all the China flights or the KLM one either. The China flights were back in October 2014 so I may be too late to claim now?? I couldn't decide which Star Alliance programme to join so didn't get round to it until now. The LH flight I haven't claimed either yet. I guess United's Mileage Plus is an option as is Lufthansa's Miles and More.

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.)
MAN

Economy

25-50k

(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Premier, M&M Senator etc)
No

(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
I like the idea of upgrading and lounge access... I also like the free stuff you can redeem miles for, I got some nice bits and pieces from Etihad's rewards a while ago and that was redeeming miles only on one trip.

UK>USA for business as I'm a film producer. Other UK>Europe flights for pleasure/tourism.

(7) Preferred Airlines
I'm a big fan of Etihad for Asian flights - even their Economy is excellent, better than Emirates who are good as well. The BA and Virgin LHR>LHX in economy were quite disappointing. When flying to USA I prefer to connect in LHR and go direct rather than having to connect in a US city since you have to go through the whole re-checking baggage nonsense in most US airports which is a complete pain.

(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you choose your airlines, class of service?)
Both, usually I'm booking myself so can choose.

Am happy to use a credit card if that helps collect miles too. Thanks for you help in advance!
Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:01 am

Programs: Air New Zealand
Question *A Gold Air NZ Traveller - now Canada-based - do I change FF?

Hello - first time on the forum so a little unsure of etiquette but here goes:

I am a new Zealander living in Canada for past 9 years and looking toward this being pretty much permanent. I have had Gold *A through Air NZ for past 15 years with a few years of GE. I am very attached to my *A Gold status and fear I will need therapy if I ever lose it! I have been known to book trips just to retain it -especially since Air Canada savagely reduced the ability to earn *A points on domestic routes in economy in anything but the most expensive fare classes.

1.Home airport =Ottawa
2. Domestic, USA, Europe = Economy but LAX - Auckland always book Premium Economy and use Air NZ points to upgrade to business
3. Typically around 50,000+k per year (2 trips Ottawa - NZ + 1 trip Ottawa -Europe + various small domestic trips in Canada)
4. Currently *A Gold - Air NZ
5. Most important = lounges & potential upgrades to business on long-haul flights between North America & NZ
6. Ottawa-LAX-Auckland (2/year); Ottawa - Europe (1/year)
7. Am big fan of Air NZ as it feels like I am home the minute i step on the plane (or into LAX lounge), I have a real frustrating time with Air Canada who seldom recognize my *A Gold status and I find their service really bad - but have limited choice from Ottawa.
8. Am university professor travelling to conferences so am using research fund that I have built up through consultancies and grants so travel not paid by employer, but is tax free. I am restricted to booking economy except in long haul flights where I book PE (LAX - AUCK) and typically use Air NZ points to upgrade to business.

MY Question: Now I am destined to live in Canada should I wean myself off my Air NZ loyalty and take up another *A FF program? While I am currently travelling home to NZ 2/year this is mainly visits to my mother and I organize work to coincide with visits - but since she is 93years old this will not continue forever.

Any advice appreciated.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 6:05 pm
jls

Thanks for your help - figuring out what scheme to join

thanks for your help guys. I fly a lot Europe short haul (usually TP or BA) and a lot transatlantic (usually BA but that might change now..)

Anyway, since I fly TP a lot I am currently putting my *A miles there - but I don't much benefit. What *A scheme would you suggest? I could consider switching my transatlantics to UA if you guys recommend that.

--------------------------------

LHR, LGW, OPO

(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ?

Economy, Premium Economy

(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year?

25-50k

Status on BA

Priority service and upgrades

Europe short haul, transatlantic

(7) Preferred Airlines

BA, AA, LH

(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)

I can choose airline, often class
Old Mar 6, 2015, 8:15 pm

Hi All,

I am trying to decide on my next *A FFP due to the recent UA FFP changes. I will be moving to Singapore very soon (currently living in Tokyo) therefore SIN will be my home base but given the business I am in, TYO is going to be a frequent destination for me. Travels around APAC are expected (Taipei, Seoul, Beijing, HK and Australia), 2 flights per year to Israel (TLV) and probably 1 flight per year to Buenos Aires (via a stop in the USA for business).

I am leaning toward SQ or TK and maybe since I will be living in Singapore it would be best to go with SQ to get advantage of their local offerings.

Your suggestions/recommendations are very welcome. Thank you in advance.

--------
1. Home Airport: SIN, TYO

2. Fare: Economy

3. Miles/Year: 80k-100k

4. Current FFP: Premier 1K+ at United / Gold at Cathay (Matched) / Gold at Turkish Airlines / Platinum at ANA.

5. Importance: Priority Services

6. Frequent Routes: SIN-TYO, SIN-SEL, SIN-TLV

7. Preferred Airlines: NH, SQ, TK

8. Both work and pleasure - I usually can choose the airlines
Old Mar 10, 2015, 8:39 am

I'm currently a M&M member but was horrified by the very high surcharges I have to pay when redeeming. I'm considering to either join UA instead, but am afraid that their new system will not work well for me, since I shop for cheapest flights. I also have a Chase card with ultimate rewards points, so thought that SQ KF could be a good option, even though I never fly with them.
SFO
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ?
Economy
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year?
~50k
M&M Silver
Good award redemption rates
(6) Which routes do you fly most often?
SFO-BRU, SFO-BOS
(7) Preferred Airlines
No real preference. I usually fly UA, VA, AF, Brussels, Swiss, LH.
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure?
Both

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.