Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

transit time ORD-LHR (UA) to LHR-MAN (BMI)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2010, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UAGM (former 1P), Hilton Gold (former Diamond), heading for dirt.

I have made arrangements for flights ORD-LHR on United for my wife and myself for Sept 2010. I also made arrangements for flights LHR-MAN on BMI. The flights were made separately; different PNRs.
United flight arrives at 11:15 am and the BMI flight leaves at 3:00 pm. It appears that they are both in Terminal 1. I think I can check in online for the BMI flight before we leave ORD.

Can United interline the bags all the way to MAN and if so is it just a matter of asking or are there other hoops to jump through? If it makes any difference I am 2P with United which I think is *Silver. My wife is a very nice person but no status.
If the bags are interlined do we stay inside security areas? Or do we go through security again at Terminal 1?
If we have to collect our bags and leave security then check in again will we have enough time?

Thanks, I did try a search before asking but couldn't find anything that answers this.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 3:11 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
UA should be able to interline the bags, just make sure you have your BMI booking details on hand at ORD check -in.

This should help with the connection:
http://tinyurl.com/axz8vd

It seems pretty simple...ive transited at heathrow a lot without any problems.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 1:16 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RonDace
Can United interline the bags all the way to MAN and if so is it just a matter of asking or are there other hoops to jump through? If it makes any difference I am 2P with United which I think is *Silver. My wife is a very nice person but no status.
If the bags are interlined do we stay inside security areas? Or do we go through security again at Terminal 1?
If we have to collect our bags and leave security then check in again will we have enough time?
As kq747 has already replied UA should be able to check your bags through to MAN. If you are returning to the States on BD and UA, BD may not be able to interline your bags unfortunately.

When you are in T1 show the baggage tags at the BD transfer desk so they can match your bags with your BP. Even if you have to go landside to re-check your bags you should have enough time but it shouldn't be necessary.

You will have to go through a second passport check when leaving the main (international) departure area of T1 to go to domestic departure gates. As there aren't many shops and restaurants in the domestic departure area, I suggest you stay in the international departure area as long as possible.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 4:15 am

Programs: Some, not all.
Just a word of warning if UA won't check your bags through, BMI will not accept check baggage at LHR until 2 hours before your departing flight.

The one time I forgot my flight got in early, I cleared customs and immigration in minutes, and then had to wait 2 hours landside as BMI refused my bags
Old Jun 29, 2010, 1:50 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, A3*G, TK*S
Originally Posted by 21H21J
Just a word of warning if UA won't check your bags through, BMI will not accept check baggage at LHR until 2 hours before your departing flight.
Although you can sometimes be lucky with this - I was coming off a TAM flight (before they'd joined *A) and connecting to LHR - MAN, and had something like 4 hours to wait for my connecting flight. I was still able to re-check my bags. Perhaps I just got lucky!
Old Jul 2, 2010, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the help

Thank you for the information. It sounds like as long as the flights are on time we should be OK, even if we have to completely leave the secure area and check in with BMI, luggage in tow.
I'll try to get the bags interlined and hopefully everything will go smoothly.
On the return we are going to London for a few days before we return to Chicago so this is not an issue as we would leave the airport at LHR.
I've found that if anything is going to go wrong it is most likely to happen where a connection is concerned. Back in the days when I traveled primarily for work I actively searched to maximize my segments to keep a higher status but now that I am strictly personal travel I seem to be more apprehesive when it comes to my money and points (since I am running out of them.)
Thanks for the help.
Ron
Old Sep 26, 2010, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

I love it when everything works

Just as a follow-up, United was able to interline our bags although the first TA didn't know how and had to ask another agent. The second agent sent the bags to manchester for us and when we arrived in LHR we went through the connections and on to our BMI flight. Entire time was about 45 leisurely minutes. I don't know if the priority tags worked or it was just luck, but our bags were within the first five bags on the belt in MAN.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 2:25 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Good to hear it worked out for you.

You were lucky that your bags were among the first five to come out. I'm convinced that baggage handlers in MAN deliberately keep any bags with priority tags till the end - at least in T1. Baggage handlers in T3 may have different rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.