Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

OneWorld/SkyTeam court JAL - why not Star Alliance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

...whether to retain JAL's partnership with American Airlines and the OneWorld alliance or defect to Delta and its SkyTeam group...

http://www.cnn.com/2010/BUSINESS/01/....ft/index.html

The article discusses the JAL bankruptcy and if they retain their OneWorld alliance or move to SkyTeam. I've flown JAL a couple times NRT-MNL and was always impressed with the on board service (I especially like the FA's switching their scarves from their neck to tie their hair and putting on an apron - just seemed classy to me).

The hard product in Y is horrible for this 6'1" with a very "American" build but it would still be nice to have another option for Asian connections with mile earning opportunities.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
I just realized this is better suited for the *A forum - can a mod please move it?
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:35 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
As the question is directed to the Star Alliance, I will move this to the proper forum.

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
United Mileage Plus Forum
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
* Alliance already has Asia well-covered with NH, TG, SQ, Air China, Shanghai Airlines and Asiana (not to mention UA's connections through NRT). Not sure why they would seek another partner...
Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:37 am

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
NH is such a good partner in Japan anyway. Plus, they will be bigger than the new JL.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 3:15 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Former E
Originally Posted by Scott218
NH is such a good partner in Japan anyway. Plus, they will be bigger than the new JL.
I can't see any government allowing both main carriers to be part of the same alliance. Wouldn't make any commercial sense either as they'd cannibalize each other.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 3:27 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
NH would veto this anyway. And I rather have NH than JL in *A. If only the NH lounges would improve.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 8:08 pm

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
Hubs crash too much as well as routes. *A is already very congested and overlapping.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.