Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

East Coast to London in Business Class

Old Dec 22, 2009, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Which Star Alliance carrier has the best service / seat to LHR from EWR, JFK, or PHL? I've flown CO so far, and while their service isn't bad, their Business Class seat is not very good if you're trying to sleep. Is there a carrier in Star Alliance that has a particularly good Business / First class seat and service to London?

Thanks!
Old Dec 22, 2009, 8:54 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
The new UA flat bed is pretty good, but you'll need to hop down to IAD.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 9:05 pm

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
Don't forget Air Canada through YYZ. No more of a pain to get to YYZ than IAD. AC has an excellent business lie-flat suite, much nicer than UA's. Closer to UA's F suites than UA new C.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 7:37 am

Programs: Amex Plat, CX Gold, VA Gold, BA paeon, VS rabble, NZ A$ bru
As a general rule, I'd take anything that wasn't an airline based in the USA.

Does your *A FFP have reciprocity with VS? If so, it's hard to beat VS Upper Class from either JFK/EWR to LHR.

If not, I would use Swiss -- for example, JFK-GVA/ZRH and then connect to a LCY or LHR hopper, but then I'm a big Swiss fan. Direct, your choices are CO from EWR or US from PHL, but US is pretty 'eh'.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 8:12 am

Programs: UAL MM, BA G
Agree with previous posters. Have flown both UA and AC in C recently (well, J on AC) and they are comparable, both for service and flatness of beds. If there are two of you, then sitting together on UA gives you better face time, as AC's configuration is a bit isolating.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. Seems like a big gap for the entire alliance to not have a competitive product between NYC and London. Connecting does sound like the best option, but that limits scheduling. I'm a CO FF, so I can get miles through VS - great product - but they're typically pretty expensive.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 9:15 am

Programs: UA 1K; LY Gold; DL Gold; BA Bronze
US flies daily PHL-LHR with A332. 1 out of 3 of their A332 currently has the new flat seats (envoy suite). If you e-mail them and write the dates of you flights, they can tell you wheather they will have the new seats or not (they have done that with my TLV-PHL flights I may fly in APR and MAY).
Old Dec 23, 2009, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip on US out of PHL.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 9:37 am

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Originally Posted by indiahotelier
Thanks for the replies. Seems like a big gap for the entire alliance to not have a competitive product between NYC and London. Connecting does sound like the best option, but that limits scheduling. I'm a CO FF, so I can get miles through VS - great product - but they're typically pretty expensive.
Didn't I hear that CO is planning a new flat bed for BF; or did I imagine that ?
Old Dec 23, 2009, 10:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dgwright99
Didn't I hear that CO is planning a new flat bed for BF; or did I imagine that ?
It is not your imagination. One of the 20 772s is already converted and the second should be done this week or so. The 752s (also used on the EWR-LHR route) are also being converted at this point though none are completed yet.

Otherwise you're looking at VS. CO will sell VS flights as codeshares as well so you might be able to find some decent pricing that way, but no guarantees.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.