Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

Beware helpful persons in Spain!

Old Feb 25, 2008, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott

I should not have fell victim to this but I did. Trying to find the ferry to Morrocco, I was driving and a man motioned me into the car park. He comes up and says "How can I help you?" I say "Could you tell me where to get tickets for the ferry?" He says "Come with me", We walk across the street and the guy brings up the price of the ferry at 80euro each. Despite all signs say 45 euro. I decline by saying "No thank you we changed our mind". The guy walks with us back to the car park saying "I need my commission" and trying to be nice I say how much? He tells me 5 euro. That was ridiculous to me so I gave him one and he started getting upset. I should have said No, I did not buy anything from you and walked off but I didn't. So beware should it happen to you.

PS. The Portugese people are all extremely friendly and helpful. No they don't want a commission for giving information.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
PS. The Portugese people are all extremely friendly and helpful. No they don't want a commission for giving information.
But you'd better tip whoever marshals you into an empty parking space, or they may smash your car up when you're gone!
Old Feb 25, 2008, 5:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold A3 Gold DL Gold VY apologist
Is there something stronger than ?
Old Feb 27, 2008, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, port and working dock districts around the world are well known as being particularly safe and crime free areas

I've just come back from 4 days in Spain. I can't manage stairs very well, and I can't lift anything, yet I still travelled independently using public transport. I can't tell you how sweet and helpful everyone I met was. Complete strangers went out of their way to help me.... and nobody asked commission. :gasp!:
Old Feb 27, 2008, 3:27 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
I always remember the trick - "I am a student, studying here, my father comes from your capital and I need money for my education !!".
Old Feb 27, 2008, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by szg
I always remember the trick - "I am a student, studying here, my father comes from your capital and I need money for my education !!".
Thanks! I'll remember to say this to anyone who asks me for money.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.