Search
Old Feb 15, 2016, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Connecting at MAD / Madrid Barajas International Airport
FEEL FREE TO EDIT OR ADD TO THIS WIKIPOST

Madrid airport layout

Terminals include

Terminal 1: International. Star Alliance primarily (also the only non-Schengen area outside of T4)

Terminal 2: Domestic mostly. SkyTeam primarily

Terminal 3: Schengen and some Domestic mostly. Air France/KLM/Lufthansa usually leave from here, but really it's just a slight extension on T2

Terminals 1-2-3 are adjacent and host Star and SkyTeam alliances and are all connected airside.

Terminal 4: one world including Iberia
Domestic and Schengen mostly from Terminal 4
International from Terminal 4-S (satellite) (Except IB or I2 operated flights to UK and Ireland as well as BA CityFlyer flights to LCY that operate out of T4 Main, though note that usually one IB flight to LHR daily is operated by an A330 or A340, these flights go from T4-S).
Both connected by an underground train, though going from T4-S to T4 requires going landside and re-clearing security in order to access T4.

Terminals are connected by a landside shuttle bus service.

Connecting from non-Schengen to Schengen (or departing the airport) one must process immigration in T-4S. Queues can be lengthy at times; if you are an EU citizen, you wil lfind the kiosk to your right in the queues. If you are not, keep to the right of the general queues anyway, as the EU queues can empty and they begin waving non-EU passengers into the EU lines.

The train connecting the T4-S satellite to T4 must be accessed via lifts or stairs; the lifts are faster. A non-Schengen to Schengen connection can take an hour or longer - A 1.5 hours is recommended as minimum connect times, and possibly more for Schengen to non-Schengen if during busy hours due to security procedures, particularly for US flights. Status passengers on Iberia flights to the US have access to a separate priority queue to clear the extra US screening.

Connections to other terminals are by a landside shuttle bus located, and can take rather longer than one might think as T4 is quite far away from T1/2/3. There is a metro link between the two, however you will have to pay full fare and even for a single rider a taxi is pretty competitive on price when the airport supplement is included.

Resources:

Link to Madrid Barajas Airport (World Airport Guides)

Link to AENA official MAD Madrid Barajas website by airport operator AENA

Wikipedia decent article on Madrid Barajas (with listings of airline gates and terminals - BUT caveat - it fails to differentiate between Terminal 4 and Terminal 4-S!)

Schengen Agreements nations information (with maps, etc.)
Print Wikipost

Connections through Madrid Airport

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2016, 7:01 am

Programs: HH D,CC,SPG,AZ: Gold;BA Silver, TK Elite
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
27 minutes?! Color me very impressed. Is that with the transfer bus or did you go taxi or metro?

The airside bus is only for transfers to the non-Schengen zone of T1 and it's supposedly by request only and for people who otherwise couldn't enter Schengen.
Went with the transfer bus. I was very lucky that T4S and T4 immigration were totally empty, no queues, and the transfer bus was right outside and left only 2 minutes after I boarded. Granted, I was drenched in sweat when I boarded the plane.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 12:13 pm

27 minutes?! Color me very impressed. Is that with the transfer bus or did you go taxi or metro?
Me too, LupineChemist. You had given me perfect directions and it all worked out perfectly for me today--thank you very much for that. In the future, may I suggest that you warn people about two things. First, you need to go to the information desk and tell them that you need a bus, and it will come, and you should resist chewing all the nails on your fingers! Second, the bus ride is interminable! But no, you are not being kidnapped, it is just an incredibly long distance between the terminals!
Old Nov 22, 2016, 1:53 pm
Suspended

No idea about the through ticketing. At JFK the check in people are dedicated for IB and supposedly it's no longer allowed. I'd plan for the worst. But if you really plead, they might do it for you. May help if you are at the business check-in counter, and get there early so nobody else is around.

As far as having 2 hours. That's right at the edge of what I'd say would be possible to plan for (assuming no delays on the inbound). The cutoff for checked bags for Schengen is 45 minutes and luggage can easily take an hour from arrival. That's cutting it pretty close.
Cant ever remember being at an airport 2 hours before departure.

Theres only 1 IB counter for Biz, and as you said being early she was sitting there doing nothing, we chatted alittle and I told her a needed a favor and explained why , she said no problem and said this way you can enjoy the lounge when you get to MAD as well and not worry about missing the flight with the rest of the group ^

So with the bag tagged all the way thru, it will make for an easier flight now. Too boot its the 345 last week a 332 was subbed 2 or 3 times, so row 25 with all the leg room I need.

THX for all your help!
Old Nov 25, 2016, 9:14 am

Hello Everyone,

I have a flight from London to Buenos Aires in the Jan 2017, through Madrid Barajas. So it is a from non-Schengen area to non-Schengen area. Both flight are operated by Iberia. What I have found out is that, the flight from London to Madrid will arrive at Madrid airport T4, and the flight to Buenos Aires departs from T4S.

I understand that T4 terminal is usually for Schengen flights. Not sure if anyone here know if I will need to go through full passport control, in order to get to T4S? Or would that be any other arrangement so that I could get to T4S without getting into Schengen area?

Many thanks in advance!
Old Nov 26, 2016, 6:00 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
I always start or end in MAD but IIRC, they pull the stairs up to the back and send a bus over to T4S. But if it's not an issue to enter Schengen, I would imagine it just as convenient to go yourself through the terminals.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:28 am

I always start or end in MAD but IIRC, they pull the stairs up to the back and send a bus over to T4S. But if it's not an issue to enter Schengen, I would imagine it just as convenient to go yourself through the terminals.
Thank you! Yes, it is an issue to enter Schengen. And I only have 1h20m transfer time. Finger cross everything will go smoothly.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by Gaoxiang Zeng
Thank you! Yes, it is an issue to enter Schengen. And I only have 1h20m transfer time. Finger cross everything will go smoothly.
This is way more than enough time. Schengen to Schengen on Iberia should take you 20 minutes max between gates. If you have lounge access, you should have time for a drink between flights.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 11:20 pm

Travelling to Peru from India via Madrid. Do I need an airport transit visa?

I am traveling from India to Peru via Madrid.
Air India Flight will arrive at Madrid T1 terminal
After 4 hours, I have flight (Latam airlines) from T4S
For the terminal transfer do I need to go through the immigration check? Do I need a schengen airport transit visa?

Please note that I will have my boarding pass with me. Also there is no checked bag. I will have only cabin bag with me. No check-in required.

Is there any internal transfers between the terminals? do I need to go through the immigration check?

Travelling on Dec 30. Much appreciate a prompt response. Thank you so much.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 11:55 am

Supposedly there is an airside transfer bus that you have to get on request but I don't know of any reports of people actually using it. You should be able to use it and you have enough time but if you can get a Schengen visa, I would.

Please report back on how the airside T1 to T4S transfer works if you use it.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Deleted

Last edited by Madison Guy; Jan 21, 2017 at 5:52 pm
Old Feb 21, 2017, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
I'm arriving from DFW on AA36 in April, so thus arriving T4S.

I then need to transfer to IB to PRG on a separate ticket.

Since the wonderful Oneworld Alliance has decided I cannot interline my luggage through, I'll have to clear customs and re-check in T4, then re-clear security.

I have the option of an IB flight with a 95 min connection, or a 7-hour layover.

I'd much rather get to PRG earlier.

Think this would be doable? I'm very familiar with MAD, from connecting through in the past. I've never cleared immigration/customs, though. Just T4S connections.

Also, I will be in J on the AA flight, which means I'll be off the plane ASAP when we land.

Thanks!
Old Feb 22, 2017, 2:59 pm

While baggage has been getting better, I would in no way risk that with luggage. It's not usual, but it can take up to or over an hour sometimes.

I would do it without luggage.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
While baggage has been getting better, I would in no way risk that with luggage. It's not usual, but it can take up to or over an hour sometimes.

I would do it without luggage.
Thanks! I called AA last night and got a good EXP agent who was able to add the omeway to PRG into my wife and I's PNRs so we can check the bags all the way thru and take the 95 min connection. ^
Old Mar 3, 2017, 11:25 pm

I have an Iberia flight from JFK and then have another Iberia flight to Casablanca. The issue is that my flights are separate tickets purchased, so I don't think(as far as I know) that I will be able to get my tickets in the USA and have my bag forwarded to morocco without having to deal with immigration. Would this be possible? I'm guessing no but I'd love to try. Any tips or instructions to make this as painless as possible, it looks like I'll pretty much definitely be coming into terminal 4s and leaving from the same terminal to go to casablanca. We have US passports btw.
Thanks
Old Mar 4, 2017, 7:54 am

IB (along with much of OW) has recently stopped interlining baggage in an itinerary composed of separate reservations. You should try to ask the agent in JFK to check the bags all the way to Casablanca, but assume they won't do it.

Immigration itself is not a problem (short or inexistent queues, even if you are not European), but you will have to go to T4 to pick up your bag and recheck, then come back to T4S. Bags from T4S flights sometimes take a long time to come up, so this will take time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.