Connections through Madrid Airport

Old Feb 15, 2016, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Connecting at MAD / Madrid Barajas International Airport
FEEL FREE TO EDIT OR ADD TO THIS WIKIPOST

Madrid airport layout

Terminals include

Terminal 1: International. Star Alliance primarily (also the only non-Schengen area outside of T4)

Terminal 2: Domestic mostly. SkyTeam primarily

Terminal 3: Schengen and some Domestic mostly. Air France/KLM/Lufthansa usually leave from here, but really it's just a slight extension on T2

Terminals 1-2-3 are adjacent and host Star and SkyTeam alliances and are all connected airside.

Terminal 4: one world including Iberia
Domestic and Schengen mostly from Terminal 4
International from Terminal 4-S (satellite) (Except IB or I2 operated flights to UK and Ireland as well as BA CityFlyer flights to LCY that operate out of T4 Main, though note that usually one IB flight to LHR daily is operated by an A330 or A340, these flights go from T4-S).
Both connected by an underground train, though going from T4-S to T4 requires going landside and re-clearing security in order to access T4.

Terminals are connected by a landside shuttle bus service.

Connecting from non-Schengen to Schengen (or departing the airport) one must process immigration in T-4S. Queues can be lengthy at times; if you are an EU citizen, you wil lfind the kiosk to your right in the queues. If you are not, keep to the right of the general queues anyway, as the EU queues can empty and they begin waving non-EU passengers into the EU lines.

The train connecting the T4-S satellite to T4 must be accessed via lifts or stairs; the lifts are faster. A non-Schengen to Schengen connection can take an hour or longer - A 1.5 hours is recommended as minimum connect times, and possibly more for Schengen to non-Schengen if during busy hours due to security procedures, particularly for US flights. Status passengers on Iberia flights to the US have access to a separate priority queue to clear the extra US screening.

Connections to other terminals are by a landside shuttle bus located, and can take rather longer than one might think as T4 is quite far away from T1/2/3. There is a metro link between the two, however you will have to pay full fare and even for a single rider a taxi is pretty competitive on price when the airport supplement is included.

Resources:

Link to Madrid Barajas Airport (World Airport Guides)

Link to AENA official MAD Madrid Barajas website by airport operator AENA

Wikipedia decent article on Madrid Barajas (with listings of airline gates and terminals - BUT caveat - it fails to differentiate between Terminal 4 and Terminal 4-S!)

Schengen Agreements nations information (with maps, etc.)
Print Wikipost

Connections through Madrid Airport

Old Jan 23, 2016, 2:08 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by Oaxaca
I wouldn't normally question LupineChemist's advice on matters IB and MAD airport-related, but this feels a bit tight to me with 1h20.

If you have to collect bags and go to departures after immigration/shuttle train, re-check then clear security again before heading to the IB flight to LHR, it's doable but needs everything to go right. I'm not sure I'd fancy that too much with no guarantee of protection on a missed connection.
You're quite right. I missed the baggage collection. There's no way it will work with the time it takes luggage to get from T4S. It would be fine if the luggage is checked through.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 5:11 am

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
You're quite right. I missed the baggage collection. There's no way it will work with the time it takes luggage to get from T4S. It would be fine if the luggage is checked through.
Thanks LupineChemist and Oaxaca for your input . Looks like I'll have to shoot for a later departure. I'll be flying DOH-MAD in J but regardless, don't want to feel rushed. Think I'll relax in the hourly rate hotel in T4.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by timlee79
Thanks LupineChemist and Oaxaca for your input . Looks like I'll have to shoot for a later departure. I'll be flying DOH-MAD in J but regardless, don't want to feel rushed. Think I'll relax in the hourly rate hotel in T4.
If you have lounge access, try to get on the BA operated flight and just stay in the T4S lounge that's quite nice.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 7:22 am

Yes, the long waits for luggage arriving in a T4S flight are the worst part of MAD for me.

timlee79, if you are arriving in J you will have lounge access regardless of the class of your UK flight.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 6:09 pm

Wife & I had a bizarre experience checking in at Madrid this morning. We were flying in Business on American. The check-in agent asked us oddball questions like:

-What hotel did we stay at?
-How long was the bus ride from the hotel to the airport?
-How long was our previous flight from London to Madrid?
-What was my wife's profession?
-Describe a typical day (what time you get up, when you go to work, etc)

What gives, Madrid? They said this was a "new security procedure". Is Madrid in Israel and I didn't notice?
Old Jan 24, 2016, 8:57 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by MisterRobarto
What gives, Madrid? They said this was a "new security procedure". Is Madrid in Israel and I didn't notice?
While Spain has had its fair share of terror, I strongly suspect that would be coming from American (country, not airline) side.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 3:22 am

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, BA Gold
I'll be arriving on a flight from Lagos at 4.40am, with a connection on a separate ticket to BRU on SN at 6.25am. The flight from LOS arrives in terminal 4S, and the SN flight departs from T2.

I'll won't be checking in any bags, and can run if necessary. I hold OWS and *G, if there are also any fast-tracks available as well. Will this be enough time to make a transit - or am I being too optimistic?
Old Jan 27, 2016, 3:44 am

That could be doable with no checked luggage. You will have to clear immigration in T4S and take the transit to T4 Main and then go all the way landside and find the bus for transport to the other terminals. That bus can take 10-15 minutes to do the loop. T1 has fast track security but I'm not sure about T2. (You can go through at either one. T3 is best but I don't know when it opens) It really isn't necessary regardless.

Assuming the standard risks of tight connections on separate tickets I'd say it's doable even if I wouldn't do it myself.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 3:01 pm

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, BA Gold
That could be doable with no checked luggage. You will have to clear immigration in T4S and take the transit to T4 Main and then go all the way landside and find the bus for transport to the other terminals. That bus can take 10-15 minutes to do the loop. T1 has fast track security but I'm not sure about T2. (You can go through at either one. T3 is best but I don't know when it opens) It really isn't necessary regardless.

Assuming the standard risks of tight connections on separate tickets I'd say it's doable even if I wouldn't do it myself.
I might have to take the punt and risk it! Thanks for your advice!
Old Feb 6, 2016, 10:43 pm

Programs: US; AA; UA; Hilton Gold; Club Carlson Gold; IHG Platinum;
T4S to T2 connection on separate tickets

My connection is similar with the previous post but with checked luggage. We will be flying to MAD from PHL on AA arriving at 8:20AM on Monday. Our plans have slightly changed and now we need to buy a separate ticket for the same day to get to Porto. I was looking at TAP 11:40AM flight which would give us 3h 20min connection. It sounds like a lot of time but I don’t think it is considering everything that is involved.

From what I understood by reading this thread AA arrives at T4S and TAP normally departs from T2. I know that we would need to go through immigration, then take a train to T4 where we would collect luggage. After that we would need to get outside and take a free shuttle bus to T2 arrival. Then we would need to take elevator to the departure floor, check in for the flight, drop off luggage, clear the security and find the gate.

Does this sound like realistic connection considering possible delays and/or long lines? The next available flight to Porto is 8PM so I would prefer not to push it back that far if my chances of making 11:40AM flight are relatively high.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by Kpoxa
My connection is similar with the previous post but with checked luggage. We will be flying to MAD from PHL on AA arriving at 8:20AM on Monday. Our plans have slightly changed and now we need to buy a separate ticket for the same day to get to Porto. I was looking at TAP 11:40AM flight which would give us 3h 20min connection. It sounds like a lot of time but I don’t think it is considering everything that is involved.

From what I understood by reading this thread AA arrives at T4S and TAP normally departs from T2. I know that we would need to go through immigration, then take a train to T4 where we would collect luggage. After that we would need to get outside and take a free shuttle bus to T2 arrival. Then we would need to take elevator to the departure floor, check in for the flight, drop off luggage, clear the security and find the gate.

Does this sound like realistic connection considering possible delays and/or long lines? The next available flight to Porto is 8PM so I would prefer not to push it back that far if my chances of making 11:40AM flight are relatively high.
The issue is Luggage takes a crazy amount of time to get from T4S to baggage claim. You honestly need to plan for about 75 minutes from leaving the plane.

It's probably one of the most annoying parts about the airport.

I would say it's doable but a lot tighter than you might think so it's up to you if you want to accept the risk. I will say that MAD rarely has delays for holding patterns on arrival and even in winter, weather is rarely an issue. But you know, delays happen.

I don't know how the prices are but have you considered going on Air Nostrum (the Iberia regional carrier)? This would be very doable in that case and you could even just check your luggage through.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 6:29 am

Programs: US; AA; UA; Hilton Gold; Club Carlson Gold; IHG Platinum;
The issue is Luggage takes a crazy amount of time to get from T4S to baggage claim. You honestly need to plan for about 75 minutes from leaving the plane.

It's probably one of the most annoying parts about the airport.

I would say it's doable but a lot tighter than you might think so it's up to you if you want to accept the risk. I will say that MAD rarely has delays for holding patterns on arrival and even in winter, weather is rarely an issue. But you know, delays happen.

I don't know how the prices are but have you considered going on Air Nostrum (the Iberia regional carrier)? This would be very doable in that case and you could even just check your luggage through.
Thanks, LupineChemist. There is also 11:40AM Iberia flight departing from T4. But their one way price is outrageous - €413 (economy) comparing to €46 on TAP. It's even cheaper to buy roundtrip Iberia ticket (€193) and throw away the return. We have 3 people travelling so the combined price difference is substantial. We even considered renting a car to drive to Porto but one way rental is not cheap either.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Kpoxa
Thanks, LupineChemist. There is also 11:40AM Iberia flight departing from T4. But their one way price is outrageous - €413 (economy) comparing to €46 on TAP. It's even cheaper to buy roundtrip Iberia ticket (€193) and throw away the return. We have 3 people travelling so the combined price difference is substantial. We even considered renting a car to drive to Porto but one way rental is not cheap either.
I don't know the timings, but you can also look into Air Europa that departs from T2 or T3
Old Mar 2, 2016, 7:11 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I will be flying into Madrid from New York on United in mid April arrival at 9:55am. I will then want to immediately go to Barcelona via Iberia or Vueling on a SEPARATE TICKET. Iberia and Vueling have an 11am flight but that seems very tight. Vueling has a 12:10 flight. The Iberia is a 1 and 2pm flight. I'd appreciate any recommendations on which flight to take. I can probably hand-carry my luggage if that helps. I THINK it meets both airline's carry-on size policies. Not sure about weight.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by eng3
I will be flying into Madrid from New York on United in mid April arrival at 9:55am. I will then want to immediately go to Barcelona via Iberia or Vueling on a SEPARATE TICKET. Iberia and Vueling have an 11am flight but that seems very tight. Vueling has a 12:10 flight. The Iberia is a 1 and 2pm flight. I'd appreciate any recommendations on which flight to take. I can probably hand-carry my luggage if that helps. I THINK it meets both airline's carry-on size policies. Not sure about weight.
Since connecting between terminals is such a pain and unpredictable, I would say your best bet is to get the bus or taxi direct to Atocha and buy a flexible train ticket on the AVE so you can just get on the next one available and there are plenty.

It also saves you the trouble of getting from BCN to the city center in Barcelona as well.

If you want to stick with flying, just buy an air bridge ticket that is completely flexible.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.