Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Acceptance in Barcelona?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, Hilton Gold, PriorityPass
AmEx Acceptance in Barcelona?

How widely accepted is American Express in Spain, and Barcelona in particular? I'll be studying abroad there this summer, and have an AmEx card already that I'd like to use? However, I was in Dublin last week, and it seemed that almost no one took American Express.
Thanks!

Last edited by Chadg; Jan 4, 2017 at 10:31 am
Old Jan 4, 2017, 3:01 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
It's remarkably spotty. Most big stores will take it and in smaller places it's very hit or miss. For grocery stores, Carrefour/Corte Ingés accept it, most others do not. Corte Inglés is generally more expensive so you will pay a premium to shop there.

For small shops, I would generally say not accepted but hardly universal and most big clothing chains will accept it (notable exception of H&M). Generally it's seen as a high-end card so if you are shopping in more expensive places, it's more likely to be accepted.

I like to use my Amex so you learn to check the stickers in the windows when entering.

The point is you 100% absolutely need a Visa or MC as well.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, Hilton Gold, PriorityPass
Thank you so much!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.