Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

Is a 6h15 layover in LIS enough to see anything?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2016, 7:30 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS

I'm considering booking RAK-LIS-LHR in mid-January on TP1451 (arr. 13:30) and either TP356 (dep. 14:40) or TP366 (dep. 19:45, 10eur cheaper). Would it be worth it to take the later departure out of LIS, and would I actually be able to see anything? If it matters, I'm a non-EEA national and *G.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 7:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It can be a long walk in LIS from your gate to the airport exit but LIS is close to downtown and pretty cheap by taxi, although you would need to cross some congested areas to get to the tourist stuff in the old city and along the water. IIRC there's a subway or small train line that goes right to the airport.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 9:20 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
If you stay in the all tourist area, then yes you can see the "major" sites in Lisbon. If you want a good picture view, use Uber(it's cheap in lisbon) to go to the top of the hill and take the picture.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 9:56 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by pewpew
Would it be worth it to take the later departure out of LIS, and would I actually be able to see anything?
There's Metro service right from the airport, though in order to get to the Baixa-Chiado station, which is a good starting point, you'll need to change lines along the way. It's about a 40 min trip in, so your time in the city would be limited. Your all day Metro ticket is also good on trams.
http://www.metrolisboa.pt/eng/wp-con...ma_A4_site.pdf

The train station is about two blocks to the right of where I'm standing in this photo:

You could get the #28 tram which would take you up past the Cathedral and to the San Luzia viewing area. Be wary of pickpockets on this line as I've seen them at work.

If you walked up towards the castle, a few blocks off the tram line, there is a viewing area several blocks to the right of it next to a church:

Plenty of Lisbon photos linked below.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 10:16 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
You'll have 3.5-4.5 hours of sightseeing which is great for walking around the historical center, eating a pastel de nata and having a coffee. Do it.

If you don't have a big carry-on, take uber from the airport here and then do this walk over the next few hours with a coffee stop at a pastelaria, and a stop for a ginjinha (cherry liqueur) here

If at that point you still have an extra hour, consider continuing the walk to the top of Parque Eduardo VII and either taking the metro (red line) back to the airport from São Sebastião (plan for 20-30 mins) or an uber (15-20 mins).

Remember to give yourself a bit of time entering and leaving schengen. If you're an EU citizen, there are automated passport gates, so it won't be an issue.

Last edited by Palal; Nov 24, 2016 at 10:23 pm
Old Nov 26, 2016, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Unless you plan ahead, definitely not. I showed up in LIS with 5 hours to spare before I had to be in Sintra, and that was barely enough time to grab sweets at Pasteis de Belem and drive on out. That may have been a function of the awful car rental services at LIS, though...
Old Nov 28, 2016, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Unless you plan ahead, definitely not.
True statement for most destinations you need a passport to enter.

For 6 hours, I wouldn't bother in most places. But in Lisbon, a taxi or Uber is pretty quick and there's a lot of stuff in a small area. Belem is a little further out from the airport. I probably wouldn't attempt that in a short time, but stay around the Baixa-Chiado-Alfama-Barrio Alto areas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.