Wiki Posts
Search

Security took my wife's knife!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2016, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Security took my wife's knife!

Toledo is famous for its steel, and all the tourist shops sell knives, so we didn't give the 20 euro kitchen knife a second thought, but then train security spotted it. They said we could get it "packaged properly" at a shop near the station, but we only had 5 minutes and since they'd scanned the tix we couldn't rebook for the next train.

I am pretty ticked off the shop made no mention of this packaging requirement, given we asked the salesperson directions to the train station and told him our train was leaving in 30 minutes.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by JapanFlyerT
Toledo is famous for its steel, and all the tourist shops sell knives, so we didn't give the 20 euro kitchen knife a second thought, but then train security spotted it. They said we could get it "packaged properly" at a shop near the station, but we only had 5 minutes and since they'd scanned the tix we couldn't rebook for the next train.

I am pretty ticked off the shop made no mention of this packaging requirement, given we asked the salesperson directions to the train station and told him our train was leaving in 30 minutes.
I'm curious. Exactly what would constitute proper packing for a knife on a train? And what type of bag was it in? Suitcase? Carry-on? Purse?
Old Sep 13, 2016, 8:16 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
I'm curious. Exactly what would constitute proper packing for a knife on a train? And what type of bag was it in? Suitcase? Carry-on? Purse?
As all bags are scanned before you board trains in Spain, it doesn't matter what bag it was in. Presumably there is a way to make it acceptable to carry the knife on board.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 1:34 am
Original Poster

The shop just wrapped it in paper and put it in a plastic bag.

For what the security guys said it had to be in a sealed box. The fact they knew where we could get it packaged "properly" meant we were not the first passengers to have this happen.

With 15 minutes we might have managed, but not with 5.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 1:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by JapanFlyerT
I wouldn't be surprised if the confiscated knife made its way back to a Toledo shop for resale. Ultimate recycling.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 1:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
I wouldn't be surprised if the confiscated knife made its way back to a Toledo shop for resale. Ultimate recycling.
Yeah, that occurred to me too.
What is more, my cc receipt had the name of the company, but no contact info. My card has purchase protection, and I would like to claim against them for fraud, but not sure it it would stick. Then again, the small amount might get written off by the cc insurance.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 2:08 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
I remember that there are signs in many shops and at the train station too.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Palal
I remember that there are signs in many shops and at the train station too.
Can't say I saw one, and certainly the shop did nothing to make us aware of the ban.

What did they say? No knives or no unpackaged knives?

This wasn't all that long, 15-20cm perhaps.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by :D!
As all bags are scanned before you board trains in Spain, it doesn't matter what bag it was in. Presumably there is a way to make it acceptable to carry the knife on board.
You misunderstood my question. I'm asking what packing/packaging would be accepted, not what Renfe does to luggage.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: AA- Million Miler, DL,
Common

This is becoming more common. In China no knives or even tools are allowed on trains, period, no exceptions. We had two kitchen knives confiscated on the train. We were completely unprepared for it because we bought them in Chengdu on a food tour and flew with them in our luggage to Yangshuo with no issues.

It was when we left Yangshuo by train that they were confiscated. There were no options other than mailing it and it was a Sunday so everything was closed. My daughter was very upset because she had picked them out and thought it was her fault. We were able to eventually replace them in Hong Kong, so it worked out okay. We were only out a whopping 10 dollars - so ultimately we got a good story and it didn't cost us a whole lot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.