Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

Best Ferry to Morocco?

Best Ferry to Morocco?

Old Jul 23, 2016, 3:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Marriott, Amex
Best Ferry to Morocco?

I will be in Portugal this fall for a week and have 2-3 days where I would like to rent a car, drive south and hop a ferry across the water. What are your experiences?
Old Jul 24, 2016, 4:46 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
One-way cross-border rentals are extremely expensive. Most rental car providers in Portugal won't let you take a car to Morocco.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Marriott, Amex
Originally Posted by Palal
One-way cross-border rentals are extremely expensive. Most rental car providers in Portugal won't let you take a car to Morocco.
I do not need to take the car across, I can leave it in Portugal or Spain. Just looking for the best ferry to take.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:33 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
In that case that will be determined mostly by whether you're traveling from Tarifa or Algeciras.

Ferries run every 2 hours from Tarifa, and every 30-60 minutes from Algeciras. From Tarifa it's a faster ride, as it takes you right to Tanger, while ferries from Algeciras go into Tanger-Med.

From Tarifa it's FRS, while from Algeciars they have a few competitors such as Balearia and Transmediterranea. If you're traveling on foot from Algeciras, there's no reason to pre-book tickets, just show up and take the next available ferry. Prices and travel time vary, but not by much (+20 mins for a slow ferry and IIRC there was a price difference of ~10€ between the different companies).

I think I've taken all 3 at one time or another, and they're not very different. You can pre-book tickets on their site, and that may save you some time, and maybe a bit of money, but you won't have the flexibility of a walk-up fare.

Hope this helps
Old Aug 16, 2016, 9:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond
I would go with FRS from Tarifa - it's nearer if you're travelling from Portugal, it gets you directly to Tangiers and it's quicker than the others. Look at frs.es/en/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.