Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for a walking/hiking day trip from Madrid?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2016, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA silver

Hi all,
Does anyone have suggestions for a place that can be reached as a day trip from Madrid for a scenic long walk/hike?
Old Feb 4, 2016, 1:35 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
I'm quite fond of La Pedriza near the town of Manzanares El Real. There's also a pretty neat castle in that town as well. Especially this time of year it can be quite pleasant with weather there where it would be much colder higher in the mountains. If you want to go higher in the mountains, the area of Cercedilla has some good walking trails as does Navacerrada.

But I stick with my main recommendation of La Pedriza that can have hikes of varying difficulties.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
This isn't out in the woods or anything, but to me one of the most beautiful places to walk is the Circunvalacion of Toledo. Toledo is a walled city 30 minutes by train from Madrid, the former capital of Spain. There's a roughly 3-mile walk mostly on concrete that goes around the river overlooking the walled part of the city. However, there are also paths by parks that you could extend for hiking as well.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Thanks LupineChemist and spainlover!
Old Feb 5, 2016, 3:11 am

Programs: IB Platino (OW Emerald), AZ Freccia Alata (ST Elite Plus), Priority Club Gold, Sol Melia Gold
I'd do the Schmidt trail (7km, 1,850m mean altitude).

You can get a cercanias train from Chamartin station to Cotos (C8 to Cercedilla and then C9 to Cotos). Then you can walk (1km) from the Cotos station to Puerto de Navacerrada. You'll see a bar called Venta Arias from there turn left on the asphalt trail to Los Cogorros Military residence (don't worry there'll be a lot of people around to ask directions). Once there you only have to follow the yellow signs painted on trees. At the end of the trail (Valle de la Fuenfria) you'll start to see the outskirts of a village called Cercedilla, keep going downhill until you reach the main street (c. 1km) ask where Yeyu restaurant is. After eating a good stew walk to the train station and get the C8 train to Chamartin.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JuanRos
I'd do the Schmidt trail (7km, 1,850m mean altitude).
Thanks JanRos, that sounds like a good option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.