Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

Why do my fancy European friends keep trying to sell me on Ibiza?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do my fancy European friends keep trying to sell me on Ibiza?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2015, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM, Hyatt GP Platinum, *wood Gold
Unhappy Why do my fancy European friends keep trying to sell me on Ibiza?

I am a very confused North American. Thanks to extended kinship ties, I have fallen in with a crowd of fancy European types, who have brought me into their fold, so when we get together either in my city or theirs, a good time is had by all.

Now the thing about these fancy friends in the EU is that they keep raving about Ibiza. I understand that they are referring to the more secluded areas like Na Xamena, and not the dreaded haunts of the largely UK package tour crowd like Portinax. My friends are definitely not package tour types. Neither am I, but for completely different reasons (thanks to credit card signup bonuses for free travel, a relatively unknown concept in most EU countries).

Last year, I spent several days in Cordoba, a place I really enjoyed, because it is so unlike anything you'd see in the US. Since I was already in Spain, I took a cheap flight from the mainland to IBZ, where I managed to get a booking through Hotwire in Ibiza Town, at what turned out to be a nondescript, run-down hotel, costing more than 2x per night as my 4* hotel in Cordoba.

I have to say that I was seriously underwhelmed. Apart from the Roman ruins at Dalt Vila, everything was more like New Spain if you catch my drift, and usually not in a good way. Although Hacienda Na Xamena is beautiful, I felt like I was somewhere in Northern California, and I could have stayed at home for that! I get that EU residents who are in the know have good reasons to enjoy Ibiza, but is it really worth it for North Americans, especially those of us who are spoiled by the frequent stay plans of hotel chains with no presence on IBZ? Am I missing something here?

Last edited by milehound; Aug 26, 2015 at 8:15 am Reason: Clarity
Old Aug 26, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
I think the key question here is whether Ibiza is as appealing and interesting (and hence, whether it is worth it) to you (as US-based) as to your EU-resident friends.

Myself, having grown up in Spain and having been to Ibiza a few times, I would say that this Island is very special and can cater for many appetites. You can get pretty much anything you want (for an island of this size) in Ibiza. You have the going out/clubbing (obviously) but you also have the hidden beach spots with crystal clear water, the excellent local food and seafood (this needs to be emphasised). You can also have the typical family vacation experience, provided you choose the right spots to stay at, as you would not like to be based in San Antonio with a toddler.

I particularly like the area of Santa Eulalia (as base). Ibiza town is also very nice, in my opinion. Then it all comes down to exploring the various beach spots accross the island. You do feel sometimes a few traffic jams on the roads that lead to Ibiza town, but not too bad ones.

Now, whether I would come down to Ibiza all the way from California (considering the extra expense of the long haul flight), well, I would probably think it twice. Not because Ibiza is not worth it but more because of the choices closer to my location. It also depends on whether you are the type of traveller which prefers to repeat destinations or rather to explore a new place each time.

I must add that being able to speak the local language in Ibiza helps, as so does to go there when it is not high season e.g. late may/beginning of June or late Sept.

Hope this helps?
Old Aug 26, 2015, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM, Hyatt GP Platinum, *wood Gold
Originally Posted by JFSV
I think the key question here is whether Ibiza is as appealing and interesting (and hence, whether it is worth it) to you (as US-based) as to your EU-resident friends.

Myself, having grown up in Spain and having been to Ibiza a few times, I would say that this Island is very special and can cater for many appetites. You can get pretty much anything you want (for an island of this size) in Ibiza. You have the going out/clubbing (obviously) but you also have the hidden beach spots with crystal clear water, the excellent local food and seafood (this needs to be emphasised). You can also have the typical family vacation experience, provided you choose the right spots to stay at, as you would not like to be based in San Antonio with a toddler.

I particularly like the area of Santa Eulalia (as base). Ibiza town is also very nice, in my opinion. Then it all comes down to exploring the various beach spots accross the island. You do feel sometimes a few traffic jams on the roads that lead to Ibiza town, but not too bad ones.

Now, whether I would come down to Ibiza all the way from California (considering the extra expense of the long haul flight), well, I would probably think it twice. Not because Ibiza is not worth it but more because of the choices closer to my location. It also depends on whether you are the type of traveller which prefers to repeat destinations or rather to explore a new place each time.

I must add that being able to speak the local language in Ibiza helps, as so does to go there when it is not high season e.g. late may/beginning of June or late Sept.

Hope this helps?
Thank you for your reply. As I said before, I can understand why EU residents would want to go there, particularly if the visitors are from some boring suburb instead of a major city with excellent nightlife. A trip to Ibiza may well be their only chance to live it up for the rest of the year. The dirt cheap flights also help. But when it's easier and cheaper for US-based partiers to go to Miami or Palm Springs, I just don't see the point. I could only see myself going to Ibiza if one of my EU-based friends invited me to join in, and even then I couldn't see myself spending more than 3 days there; I'd want to spend more time in Andalucia, with its AMAZING architecture and food! Incidentally, I found more people spoke English in Ibiza than in Andalucia; most of the staff at my Ibiza Town hotel who spoke English appeared to be from Romania and Bulgaria!

I should also mention that I have issues with sun sensitivity, so I'm attracted to medieval walled cities and the shade they provide. In fact, I'm making a day trip to Granada and the Alhambra Palace tomorrow!

Last edited by milehound; Aug 26, 2015 at 10:19 am Reason: Clarity
Old Sep 22, 2015, 6:46 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Life Plat
I've found that when I talk about going to Ibiza, I need to put an asterisk on my comments. For me (from Virginia), it's paradise -- I spent nine days there this summer and it was literally the best time I've had in recent memory. I would have gladly hopped on another transatlantic flight to go back there again the next month. But for me, I love the music scene there (it's not just "nightlife" -- it's home to many of the best dance music venues in the world, and most without the snobby pretense of Las Vegas nightclubs), the weather is usually perfect, and almost everyone is happy, social, and there for a fun time. And it does have a unique character that's different from Miami and Palm Springs.

But then there's the asterisk -- I wouldn't go there if I was looking for traditional Spanish history or culture, or for a posh, relaxing beach vacation -- there are definitely many better places for either. A lot of beach hotels and buildings in the major towns look like they were built in the 70s and 80s and haven't seen much TLC since then. And much of that nightlife is still awfully expensive, packed with people, and tinged with a variety of debauchery. If the place isn't a fit for what you're looking for, then it would probably seem like just a mediocre Spanish island with too many tourists and rowdy college kids. But for me and other's looking for what Ibiza offers, there's no place better than the infamous White Isle.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
JFSV hit the nail on the head. It's all about what you are looking for. If you are based in Europe, you enjoy a holiday surrounded by traditional architecture which you take in your stride and accept as well as expect. If you are based in the USA, because of the distance, you tend either to be looking for the basic holiday (and perhaps expect more modern facilities), or you want the architecture, but don't want the balance between the two.

I have the opposite issue. I have a holiday home in Sonoma, California and my European friends simply don't see the point. Why on earth would they go that far and, if they do, they want to experience what, to them, is typical California.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.