Wiki Posts
Search

Trip to Spain - Best neighborhoods to stay in

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Hi guys,

I'm going on a last minute first time trip to Spain starting this Friday. 16 days.

Madrid (4 days) -> Cordoba (1 day) -> Seville (4 days) -> Valencia (1 day) -> Barcelona (4 days) -> Lisbon (4 days)

Which neighborhoods do you recommend that I stay in Barcelona and Seville? In Madrid and Lisbon, I have enough IHG points to stay Intercontinental so I'm hoping those neighborhoods are not bad. Barcelona and Seville and the other places I'm paying cash, so I can be a bit more picky.

If I was staying in New York City, I would hate to stay in Times Square, same for Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco. It's not so much the tourists, but rather the lack of charm in those neighborhoods. Also given the time of the year, it's gonna be hot in Spain, so I'd like to stay in areas that have attractions/restaurants/bars open late into the night with an easy walk back to the hotel.

What do you think?
Old Aug 26, 2015, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA,BA
Originally Posted by onehitrenegade
Hi guys,

I'm going on a last minute first time trip to Spain starting this Friday. 16 days.

Madrid (4 days) -> Cordoba (1 day) -> Seville (4 days) -> Valencia (1 day) -> Barcelona (4 days) -> Lisbon (4 days)

Which neighborhoods do you recommend that I stay in Barcelona and Seville? In Madrid and Lisbon, I have enough IHG points to stay Intercontinental so I'm hoping those neighborhoods are not bad. Barcelona and Seville and the other places I'm paying cash, so I can be a bit more picky.

If I was staying in New York City, I would hate to stay in Times Square, same for Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco. It's not so much the tourists, but rather the lack of charm in those neighborhoods. Also given the time of the year, it's gonna be hot in Spain, so I'd like to stay in areas that have attractions/restaurants/bars open late into the night with an easy walk back to the hotel.

What do you think?
W Barcelona..club on the 20-something floor and clubs along the beach open until sunrise. But, with this option, consider that you will be at one end of the city. For instance, walking to La Sagrada Familia usually takes me 30 minutes more or less.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:53 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
I would seriously consider the IC in Madrid. It's in a business area and maybe technically walkable from the center but it's quite a hike. Check out the Indigo that's much more centrally located for tourists.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
I would also seriously consider looking into AirBNB. I am doing that in Barcelona in a week and there is a tremendous amount of offerings in all neighborhoods (I'd suggest El Born, Gracia or El Barri Gotic as it's a first visit). You can get some really great places in charming locations with great views and really feel as if you are almost a local.
In Sevilla, if you have the money and/or it's not too expensive, I highly recommend the Alfonso XIII (an SPG Luxury Collection hotel). One of my favorite Starwood hotels ever and fully renovated several years ago.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 9:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold

In Barcelona I LOVED Hotel Pratik Bakery - great area and reasonably priced and the bakery is in the lobby. Two blocks from a Gaudi building and easy to meet my Devour Barcelona food tour of the Grasias neighborhood. I have posts about both the hotel and food tour on my blog (same as user name).

Another option is the other Pratik hotel which is wine hotel or The Roommate hotels which are European chain.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 10:11 am

Since you seem to favor IHG hotels, I just stayed at the Indigo in Barcelona. It was pretty nice -- sort of a boutique property. Not on Las Rambles so away from the fray but still convenient (Metro, airport train). You can walk to it from from Placa Catalunya where the airport bus stops. Try tapas at El Nacional

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.