Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status of Renfe to/from Granada Sept 2015

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2015, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Status of Renfe to/from Granada Sept 2015

I am having trouble determining if there is train service to & from Granada in September - the Renfe website (and RailEurope) is showing bus service only.

Does anyone have any insight into this?
Old Jul 20, 2015, 1:38 am

Wherever you are looking or whatever interpretation you are making is not correct.

From Granada you will bus for part and change to the train for the remainder of the journey at Antequera Santa Ana station. Reverse for incoming journeys. This is due to network improvements in the vicinity of Granada and affects all journeys except the overnight TrenHotel.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 1:48 am

Programs: IB Platino (OW Emerald), AZ Freccia Alata (ST Elite Plus), Priority Club Gold, Sol Melia Gold
They are upgrading the Antequera-Granada section to high-speed. Works are expected to end in autum.

If you book a Granada-Seville train for example you'll be bused between Granada and Antequera and then you'll get the train to your final destination.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies. This is the message I am getting:

Los viajeros cuyo viaje transcurra por el tramo Antequera Santa Ana, Antequera Ciudad, Loja y Granada realizaran dicho tramo por carretera (bus). Consulten su punto de información habitual o en la sección AVISOS de nuestra web
I took that as meaning my entire trip would be via bus. Good news to hear that it isn't. A couple more questions if I can:

How long is the bus ride from Antequera Santa Ana?

If I need to get from Madrid via Granada, would I get bussed back to Antequera Santa Ana first or is there another station to the north?

Last edited by Will Dearborn; Jul 20, 2015 at 7:22 pm
Old Jul 21, 2015, 1:07 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
The phrase translates to "Those travelers whose trip travels the segment from Antequera-Santa Ana-Antequera City, Loja and Grandada will perform said segment by highway (bus). Consult your normal information point or the notices section of our website"

It would probably be about 45 minutes.

Honestly, a true bus the entire way would only be about 4 hours and I think it would be by far the easiest way. If you can get the Alsa supra, it's a very nice service (don't think like the American long distance buses). It really is the most sensible right now and will take about the same amount of time without any changes.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 1:35 am

It will be about an hour and thirty minutes on the bus between Granada and Santa Ana, my guess.
'If I need to get from Madrid via Granada, would I get bussed back to Antequera Santa Ana first or is there another station to the north?' - I do not follow. You do not say where you are starting from? Without that I would not know whether Granada is even involved.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
The phrase translates to "Those travelers whose trip travels the segment from Antequera-Santa Ana-Antequera City, Loja and Grandada will perform said segment by highway (bus). Consult your normal information point or the notices section of our website"

It would probably be about 45 minutes.

Honestly, a true bus the entire way would only be about 4 hours and I think it would be by far the easiest way. If you can get the Alsa supra, it's a very nice service (don't think like the American long distance buses). It really is the most sensible right now and will take about the same amount of time without any changes.
I think my confusion stemmed from not realizing that there was a stop at Antequera Santa Ana - what it looked like to me on the Renfe website (and I very well could have misunderstood) was a direct train Seville-Granada with no stop anywhere. No matter, I've got it now. ^

Thanks for the tip about taking the bus - is that something I should book in advance or is it easy to book at the station?

Originally Posted by WomBatt
It will be about an hour and thirty minutes on the bus between Granada and Santa Ana, my guess.
'If I need to get from Madrid via Granada, would I get bussed back to Antequera Santa Ana first or is there another station to the north?' - I do not follow. You do not say where you are starting from? Without that I would not know whether Granada is even involved.
I should have mentioned this in the OP:

My planned itinerary is Madrid - Cordoba - Seville - Granada - Madrid. If I want to get from Granada to Madrid (by train) will I have to be bussed back to Antequera Santa Ana or is there another station involved?
Old Jul 23, 2015, 5:22 pm

Programs: most of them
You might want to consider a different routing. I just visited all of those places. I did Madrid-Seville (by AVE) then bus to Granada (express "Supra Economy" bus took 3 hours, and was quite comfortable. 10 euros by booking ahead, 1-2 seating, wifi (which I never really got to work), small snack... Then the same type of bus Granada-Cordoba (about 2.5 hours). Then AVE back to Madrid.

It all worked out very well for me.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Cheers ^
Old Jul 28, 2015, 9:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
I did the bus Córdoba-Granada in May. It took 2h45. Cheap and cheerful but no hassle. You go on fairly quiet roads and the scenery is interesting. I booked online.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 10:21 am
Suspended

Programs: DL
Hi all,
Any updates on the status of work at the Granada station?
Old Oct 3, 2015, 11:16 am

Still closed. I guarantee it will open before the elections on December 20th.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 10:20 am
Suspended

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
Still closed. I guarantee it will open before the elections on December 20th.
Thanks LC!
I will be traveling in November and have already purchased one of those fancy bus tickets from Madrid to Granada. I'm looking forward to that experience but was hoping to then take a train from Granada to Seville. Looks like I'll be on the bus for that route too.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by HelloItsMe
Thanks LC!
I will be traveling in November and have already purchased one of those fancy bus tickets from Madrid to Granada. I'm looking forward to that experience but was hoping to then take a train from Granada to Seville. Looks like I'll be on the bus for that route too.
I would say there is a good chance it will be open by November but judging on how the line to León was opened, there won't be an official announcement until only a couple of week before.

That's basically due to the fact that you just can't know how the commissioning work will go.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 5:40 pm

Programs: Iberia Plus, ALSA BusPlus
One thing to note, RENFE does not post its prices or train hours until 60 days before the desired departure date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.